What's new

Bass boost vs BFD question (1 Viewer)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm settling in with my Stryke 1204 PR sub, and am trying to get a handle on the sub's response in my room. It definitely drops below 25hz, and I'm sure it's a result of the 20hz f3 of the stock boost setting on my PE 250w plate amp combined with my room response.

I think eventually I'll get a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and EQ for the room, but I'm wondering if in the meantime it would be worth it to change the amp's default boost level, to a 1 or 2 db boost around 21hz or so (fb for this sub) which would net me around 4 or 5 db at 20hz.

This would bring the response level a bit more uniform throughout the range to crossover at 80hz, although I've got a big (6db or so) peak around 28hz and a big (6db or so) dip around 56hz.

Should I just wait till I have the BFD and eq everything from there?

Thanks for the help. . .

Wes Nance

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The 3db of attenuation at 20Hz will certainly have a noticeable/measureable effect on response. If it's not that much of a hassle, I'd certainly experiment with different amounts of boost at Fb (not below) to extend response.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

Remind me how your amp is setup from Adire? I remember you saying it's 1db boost at 20hz. What is the corner frequency? I've been modeling a bunch of different values in Excel to try to come up with something that still rolls off below fb, but doesn't hurt response down to 20hz, or even has a small boost there.

Thanks-

Wes

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The stock boost/filter in the AVA250 has a Q of .96 and an Fc of 18Hz. There's a shallow, wide boost from 20Hz up to about 35Hz or so with a peak of ~1dB @ 25Hz, and an F3 of ~13Hz.

Could I trouble you for the link to that Excel program?

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
Thanks for the info- I figured it might be good to see what Dan came up with for the default on his version of the amp.
The link to the Excel stuff is here:Excel sheets It's the plate amp filter link. Pretty helpful.
I looked at Rudy's mod from the PE board, but I think I'm more concerned about the rolloff of the HP filter with a PR sub than the LP filter. . .
Wes

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

I'm trying to decide whether to go for flat response from the amp, with a gentle roll off below fb, or some sort of boost.

For a "flat" response, try these values for the two resistors:

80 and 190.

For 2 db boost, what about 33 and 190?

I'm a bit leary of the PE supplied values for 2db boost, 47 and 220- I think there's too much boost below fb (21.5hz) for my sub.

I may just go for the "flat" response, and then fix everything else eventually with a BFD.

Wes

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I may just go for the "flat" response, and then fix everything else eventually with a BFD.
That's probably your best bet since it's much easier to experiment with eq with the BFD than it is soldering resistors. I think your focus with the amp should be to get the infrasonic filter where it'll do the most good , and use the BFD for eq functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks