Bass boost vs BFD question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes Nance, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm settling in with my Stryke 1204 PR sub, and am trying to get a handle on the sub's response in my room. It definitely drops below 25hz, and I'm sure it's a result of the 20hz f3 of the stock boost setting on my PE 250w plate amp combined with my room response.

I think eventually I'll get a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and EQ for the room, but I'm wondering if in the meantime it would be worth it to change the amp's default boost level, to a 1 or 2 db boost around 21hz or so (fb for this sub) which would net me around 4 or 5 db at 20hz.

This would bring the response level a bit more uniform throughout the range to crossover at 80hz, although I've got a big (6db or so) peak around 28hz and a big (6db or so) dip around 56hz.

Should I just wait till I have the BFD and eq everything from there?

Thanks for the help. . .

Wes Nance

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wes,

No need to wait for the BFD to experiment. Do whatever you think sounds best.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Wes Nance

Jack,

Remind me how your amp is setup from Adire? I remember you saying it's 1db boost at 20hz. What is the corner frequency? I've been modeling a bunch of different values in Excel to try to come up with something that still rolls off below fb, but doesn't hurt response down to 20hz, or even has a small boost there.

Thanks-

Wes

4. Wes Nance

Jack,
    Thanks for the info- I figured it might be good to see what Dan came up with for the default on his version of the amp.
    The link to the Excel stuff is here:Excel sheets It's the plate amp filter link. Pretty helpful.
    I looked at Rudy's mod from the PE board, but I think I'm more concerned about the rolloff of the HP filter with a PR sub than the LP filter. . .
    Wes

5. Wes Nance

Jack,

I'm trying to decide whether to go for flat response from the amp, with a gentle roll off below fb, or some sort of boost.

For a "flat" response, try these values for the two resistors:

80 and 190.

For 2 db boost, what about 33 and 190?

I'm a bit leary of the PE supplied values for 2db boost, 47 and 220- I think there's too much boost below fb (21.5hz) for my sub.

I may just go for the "flat" response, and then fix everything else eventually with a BFD.

Wes

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer