What's new

basic drywall question (1 Viewer)

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
I tried searching the internet and here...actually I feel stupid for asking but what is a reasonable gap between drywall sheets? I am doing mine as we speak and I have one or 2 places where I am looking at about a 5/8 gap..maybe less that runs approx 20 inches or less. I am hiring a guy to do all my mud and tape work and supposedly he is very good but I am not going to be in touch with him until I get the drywall done. Most likely will be doing a veneer plaster for the theater walls and ceiling...

Thanks for any insight..

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
There should be no gap between sheets. Why is there a 5/8" gap? Are you installing the drywall vertically or horizontally? Where is the gap exactly? If you must have the gap for some reason, try to put it at the bottom, where it will be hidden by the baseboard.

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at it again it is about 1/4 inch or so and on the ceiling. I am not sure why I said 5/8 that is pretty huge.This is an old home and absolutely nothing is plumb from the get go. The framing and now the drywall is really covering all the problem areas well but this one spot. None of the walls in the theater are load bearing just wondering if this is a workable gap but 1/4 should not be a problem I am thinking. My first time doing most of the building stuff..trial by fire :) Thats why I let someone that knows what he is doing handle the electrical.

Kevin-R-S

Agent
RonR

A 1/4 inch gap wont cause the Tapper any problems. If it is at at joint he will be running tape down the entire seem and spreading out the plaster usually 6-8 inches.

If it is at the ceiling he will be putting on L shaped corner beed which covers 3/4 of an inch on each side.

Dont worry about it.

I have seen 1 1/4 inch gaps that tappers putty over with no problems

Cheers

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Don't worry too much about gaps. They can filled in, or taped. I had gaps as large as 1 inch in some places. You can fill it in with either durabond, or what's called "hot mud". Hod mud dries really fast, and very hard. Here's a great site on drywall, and he talks about fixing these kinds of problems.
http://drywallschool.com/

Good luck.
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks