What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I did grab Breakfast Club, Election and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World last night. Only one blind buy in the bunch, but I'm pretty sure I'll like it (Election).
I'm a big fan of The Breakfast Club and that's an excellent disc. Criterion has done some nice work this year (The Silence Of The Lambs, Night Of The Living Dead, the Dietrich/von Sternberg set) but I'd say that The Breakfast Club is their best release that I've seen.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm a big fan of The Breakfast Club and that's an excellent disc. Criterion has done some nice work this year (The Silence Of The Lambs, Night Of The Living Dead, the Dietrich/von Sternberg set) but I'd say that The Breakfast Club is their best release that I've seen.

In had Silence of the Lambs in my hand, but put it down. For some reason, Anthony Hopkins freaks me the F out in this movie and I doubt I'd ever watch it knowing what I was getting into. I'm hoping to watch something either tonight or tomorrow night.

The Before Trilogy was also on my "maybe" list but luckily there weren't any at the B/N I went into.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I picked up The Breakfast Club when I went to pick up titles during the sale. I had no idea they released this! I’d only seen it once. Ages ago. I like it and it felt like a special and unusual film.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
King of Jazz and The Philadelphia Story came home today. Sampled the first title: transfer and presentation is as stunning as when I saw one of the repertory screenings last October. And I confess the first thing I went to was one of the Oswald Rabbit cartoons, "My Pal Paul." That, too, was as beautifully restored as the main feature.

Look forward to watching it all, plus Hepburn / Grant / Stewart, as soon as possible!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Both of those transfers are indeed stunning. I'm sitting on Women in Love, Tom Jones, and The Age of Innocence knowing they're going to look spectacular, but I have to set-up my new receiver which is going to take some time. It'll get done over the next day or two.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so... Long long time reader but rare posting anything and I'm gonna finally get into putting in my $0.02 worth on posts every so often, and where better to start than my beloved Criterion Sale thread... To make up for lost time, since I've now kept track on my new phone, hehe....

July 2017
Gimme Shelter blu
Tokyo Story blu
Dekalog set blu
His Girl Friday blu
The Lodger blu
Ace in the Hole blu
400 Blows blu

November 2017
Philadelphia Story blu
Barry Lyndon blu
*renewed B&N membership for continued discount ;) *

July 2018
Moonrise Kingdom blu
Woman of the Year blu
Being There blu
Passion of Joan of Arc blu

About half of these were upgrades from dvd versions... Normally budget around $80-100 each July & Nov for the sale, so my wallet doesn't go into shock & I end up eating only Ramen noodles for the last week of the month... Might have to jump back in again later too to grab that Bull Durham, plus finish up my Kubricks with Paths of Glory... Who says you can't love inanimate objects? ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
During this sale I picked up Jabberwocky, Midnight Cowboy, Bull Durham and Election.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I haven't seen any love here for Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man. I picked it up last week and have been slowly going through the extras.

The film itself has always had a hypnotizing effect on me. I don't have the old blu to compare, but this criterion edition is gorgeous. Lools great uprezzed on my 4k tv.

And the extras are quite good. But then I'm also a big Neil Young fan.

Its not to everyones taste, (most criterion titles aren't, which is why they're such a great label) as it shifts from absurdity to dark absurdity to calm philosophical rambling. But it works for me.

Bring on a criterion Ghost Dog please.

P.S. I listened to an episode of Gilbert Gottfrieds podcast recently with Phil Rosenthal who talked a lot about Robert Mitchum and his work ethic. He showed up, did what was asked, and got paid. I can't imagine what was going through Mitchums mind as he was talking to the giant stuffed bear, but he pulled it off magnificently.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I haven't seen any love here for Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man. I picked it up last week and have been slowly going through the extras.

The film itself has always had a hypnotizing effect on me. I don't have the old blu to compare, but this criterion edition is gorgeous. Lools great uprezzed on my 4k tv.

And the extras are quite good. But then I'm also a big Neil Young fan.

Its not to everyones taste, (most criterion titles aren't, which is why they're such a great label) as it shifts from absurdity to dark absurdity to calm philosophical rambling. But it works for me.

Bring on a criterion Ghost Dog please.

P.S. I listened to an episode of Gilbert Gottfrieds podcast recently with Phil Rosenthal who talked a lot about Robert Mitchum and his work ethic. He showed up, did what was asked, and got paid. I can't imagine what was going through Mitchums mind as he was talking to the giant stuffed bear, but he pulled it off magnificently.
Great movie, Dead Man. Robbie Mueller, the DP, died recently. Gorgeous B&W images.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Interesting information from BN trip today. I was checking Ship to Home possibilities for next week's A Matter of Life and Death and it was 19.99 as expected, the August releases are still full price which had been reported earlier (no change), but the September releases were 50% off -- Andrei Rublev and Scenes from a Marriage were 24.99 and My Man Godfrey, Raisin in the Sun, Cold Water were 19.99. The October releases and Nov Bergman set were in the computer, but at MSRP -- will check again after Aug 1 which was when the Oct releases last year changed to 50% for the last few days of the sale.

So for those who would like to lock in the sale price for September delivery rather than waiting for the Oct Flash sale or Nov BN sale, there is a window.

Last edited:

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
So far I have picked up these titles from the B&N sale;
Bull Durham
The Double Life of Veronique
3 Women
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
The Breakfast Club
Election
Breathless
Midnight Cowboy
Five Easy Pieces
Something Wild(1961)
Something Wild(1986)
The Virgin Suicides
The Palm Beach Story
Blood Simple

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting information from BN trip today. I was checking Ship to Home possibilities for next week's A Matter of Life and Death and it was 19.99 as expected, the August releases are still full price which had been reported earlier (no change), but the September releases were 50% off -- Andrei Rublev and Scenes from a Marriage were 24.99 and My Man Godfrey, Raisin in the Sun, Cold Water were 19.99. The October releases and Nov Bergman set were in the computer, but at MSRP -- will check again after Aug 1 which was when the Oct releases last year changed to 50% for the last few days of the sale.

So for those who would like to lock in the sale price for September delivery rather than waiting for the Oct Flash sale or Nov BN sale, there is a window.
It's been years since I last stepped into a BN store. I have a question about buying in-store. There are two Criterion titles that I can get on-line for $19.99 each. Both of these titles are in-stock at a store not far from me. If I buy them there, will the cost using my B&N card still be $19.99 each or is it $17.99 with the B&N card discount?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Both of these titles are in-stock at a store not far from me. If I buy them there, will the cost using my B&N card still be $19.99 each or is it $17.99 with the B&N card discount?
You should get the extra discount if you buy in-store as a rewards member.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It's been years since I last stepped into a BN store. I have a question about buying in-store. There are two Criterion titles that I can get on-line for $19.99 each. Both of these titles are in-stock at a store not far from me. If I buy them there, will the cost using my B&N card still be $19.99 each or is it $17.99 with the B&N card discount?

B&N membership Card or B&N VISA Card?
With Membership those will be 17.99ea -- that 10% discount still applies to the 50% off items. Actually there are very few things the in-store membership doesn't apply -- some digital material, a lot of College Bookstore items, NOOK, and the special "40% off B&N Bestseller" Books b/c the member discount already bumps those from 30 to 40%.

Same with the store generated Ship to Home orders which are considered store purchases even though they are shipped directly to you. Just remember the STH items are based on In-Store Prices which often can vary from the BN.com price so double check them -- sometimes better like the Sept items, many times worse. I usually do those at Customer Service though I think some folks can do it at the register. If you're aren't sure of the Instore price, most stores have a Customer Computer or Kiosk where you can search items and their price -- or have an employee help though I prefer to do my own since I always end up randomly looking for extra items that pop into my head if nobody else is there

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
B&N membership Card or B&N VISA Card?
With Membership those will be 17.99ea -- that 10% discount still applies to the 50% off items.
I

Same with the store generated Ship to Home orders which are considered store purchases even though they are shipped directly to you.
I usually do those at Customer Service though I think some folks can do it at the register.

STH orders can take a bit of time to run the invoice so I feel guilty about trying that unless I'm the only one there. I usually give the CSR a written list of titles and their UPC from the website to make it easier (assuming I don't copy a UPC wrong like yesterday on one title), they enter my shipping address, phone/email etc the first time which generates an order invoice with barcode -- then take the invoice to the checkout cashier where they scan the barcode, member card, any coupons when eligible and payment. The member discount and Free Shipping isn't noted on the printed invoice, that happens at checkout though I always try to remember to double check
I have two cards, one is a B&N credit card and the other is a B&N membership card with a member number that is on my B&N account.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I have two cards, one is a B&N credit card and the other is a B&N membership card with a member number that is on my B&N account.

You're ahead of me on that one, I didn't know the Member number was part of the Credit Card. I don't know if buying with your BNCC automatically adds the 10% member discount or if the cashier needs a different step on that one. I've always just handed by BN Member Card or had them do it by entering the Phone Number attached to the membership when I left my card somewhere (or my kids/wife needed to buy something at BN and I wasn't there)

So 10% off upfront and 5% Rewards back later.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
For those not following other discussions -- Criterion has apparently lost the rights to Costa-Gavras The Confession and is now considered OOP. The news appeared to spread quickly and BN.com is now OOS or backordered at most online sites including Amazon and Criterion.com except via 3rd Party who haven't doubled their prices yet. Nobody seems quite sure is the status of "State of Siege" has changed, but so far it's in stock at most of the sites.

Many BN stores still have this in stock for those who have been waiting or putting this on the back burner.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I have purchased the following titles so far:

Stagecoach
Things to Come
The Asphalt Jungle
The Tree of Wooden Clogs

Will be purchasing before the sale ends:

An Actor's Revenge
Tom Jones
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Black Orpheus (if it gets restocked before the sale ends)

To purchase in either the fall 2018 B&N 50% off sale or the Criterion 50% off sale:

A Raisin in the Sun
Shampoo
His Girl Friday
The Graduate

Purchased from Amazon due to the price being more than 50% below MSRP:

Midnight Cowboy
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
A Matter of Life and Death

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks