What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And some, even though members of the rewards program, get very few coupons at all. The only coupons I ever get are maybe once or twice a year in the mail. I have never received any email coupons. I've been a rewards member for 3-4 years.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And some, even though members of the rewards program, get very few coupons at all. The only coupons I ever get are maybe once or twice a year in the mail. I have never received any email coupons. I've been a rewards member for 3-4 years.

Have you contacted BN CSR about the lack of emails. While it is incredibly irritating many people have eventually gotten their email coupons activated though it sometimes takes multiple contacts. If you contact them by phone and complain about lack of emails coupons despite being signed up (and persist) if nothing else the CSR will sometimes give you a "Apology Code" for 15-20% online only code which often is re-usable and lasts for up to 2 months

For some reason some people internal "Communications" are turned off even when your Account setting seem to be OK -- You can contact me and send me info, etc" --

I always suggest registering you email in the "Sign Up For Savings, .." box at the bottom of most BN pages when they become a member -- I';d do it weekly until something in the dam breaks and you start getting email and coupons. I find esp members who have rejoined under the same email that expired in the past have the most difficulty getting email and snail mail reactivated.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
First heads up.

Reddit BN Employee has posted that the next sale will start Friday Nov 2 and run probably through end of the day Monday Dec 3rd.
Note the last couple of sales have had multiple changes in exact dates, but this seems pretty much in the ball park of what was expected so keep an eye out.

Reminders:
This usually is online and in-store. Online items can go out of stock and BN doesn't usually do backorders, but most commonly some of the more popular titles can have stock come and go multiple times during the sale

Items released during the sale dates usually are marked 50% off at the start of the sale so the Nov releases should be available to order immediately.

Member 10% discount is accepted for Instore purchases as well as items ordered ship to home from store computers. This is especially helpful for those with memberships, but only non-media stores nearby or stores OOS for an item than is in the warehouse.

Extra coupons have not been allowed/accepted for the last several sales though there still seem to be some stores that will manually apply some, but extreme YMMV. At the beginning of every sale there is always some hope they'll change again.

The last couple sales some preorders released after the end of the sale have been marked 50% off in the store computer for ship to home (not web/online orders). This is very unpredictable. July 2018, the Sept items were 50% off but not Aug/Oct, July 2017 all items Aug to Oct were allowed, Nov 2017 only the December items.

BN has a pretty popular Gift Card promotion that should also re-start Nov 2. For every $75 GC bought in-store you get a $10 Promotional Card for later use. The Promotional cards usually don't activate until Dec 26 and the last several have expired either at the end of Feb or March. Around Black Friday there has been better deal Buy $50GC and get $10 and last year they had an additional period in Dec for the same deal. The expiration date can an issue if you mainly buy Movies since BN doesn't run many sale in Q1 -- but some people found that if they buy something with the GC and return it later, they got normal No-Expiration date GC with the Return.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So I go into my local BN store today (November 2) and not one clerk knows anything about the Criterion sale, nor is there any sign in the vacated media department. The only way they even knew there was a sale was when I brought a BD to the cashier and they scanned it and saw the price.

BN may survive and squeak through Christmas, but every year has gotten shakier and shakier and more clueless.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So I go into my local BN store today (November 2) and not one clerk knows anything about the Criterion sale, nor is there any sign in the vacated media department. The only way they even knew there was a sale was when I brought a BD to the cashier and they scanned it and saw the price.

BN may survive and squeak through Christmas, but every year has gotten shakier and shakier and more clueless.
Yep, sounds like they're not even trying anymore, unless it's just a handful of stores that are poorly managed. But there's nothing on the front page of the web site either. You have to dig to find it.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I was there on Friday and there were no signs. Clearly the lack of a a staff person in the media room impact such things.

That said, it's sad that B&N is hurting and honestly, anytime that I am there, there are always a fair amount of people in the store.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stopped by my store tonight. Signs were up and they had a promo display by the entrance to the media area. Ended up with five titles:

Being John Malkovich
Female Trouble
Rebecca
Kiss Me Deadly
The In-Laws

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Picked up The Princess Bride from my local store. There were several copies, so I guess it's a popular title. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This will be the first Criterion sale I've never participated in, but I have the titles I want and the ones coming out during the sale I have on order from another retailer at a cheaper price for me due to some bonus points I'm using.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Well, I've done my part to help local B&N's bottom line this month. I picked several Criterions, as well as The Day of the Jackal Arrow release also 50% off, and they also had the Mary Tyler Moore Show complete series set at 30% off plus the membership discount which made it close to $30 (cheaper than the local Wal Mart and Best Buys that had it at $35-$40).

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
This will be the first Criterion sale I've never participated in, but I have the titles I want and the ones coming out during the sale I have on order from another retailer at a cheaper price for me due to some bonus points I'm using.

Me, too. I got all caught up. Kind of sad.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I ordered The Magnificent Ambersons, and combined it with the new Arrow release of The Apartment which is supposed to be out on December 11th, in order to get free shipping. I already had pre-ordered Some Like It Hot for a better price elsewhere.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I did snag a few titles...

Some Like It Hot from Amazon
Princess Bride and Raisin in the Sun from B/N

I had other things in my hand at the store (Weekend and the Before Trilogy), but they'll have to wait for the next sale.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I posted this on the Criterion thread, but this is probably the better place for it. I will add one note though, our store recently did the "transformation" of the store so now the audio/visual stuff is crammed near the customer service desk in the middle of the store. All the toys and games are now at the rear of the store where the movies/cds/vinyl were located. That being said, I was impressed that at least there was a notice at the Criterion section that the sale was going on.

Titles picked up in store:

Il Sorpasso
Battle of Algiers
Wages of Fear
L'Avventura
La Notte
L'Eclisse
La Dolce Vita
Breathless
Le Samourai

I'm done for this sale. My budget can't handle anymore even though I really want Carlos and Che.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks