What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Today I picked up Leave Her to Heaven and The Trial. My B&N membership was actually in effect for the sale so I got an additional 10% off. I understand that in previous Criterion sales your membership didn't give you any additional discounts.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Today I picked up Leave Her to Heaven and The Trial. My B&N membership was actually in effect for the sale so I got an additional 10% off. I understand that in previous Criterion sales your membership didn't give you any additional discounts.

That's the first time I've heard it worked for this sale. There have been others that tried it and no discount was taken.
I havent been to a store yet this sale, but I'm hoping to later this week -- might as well try it since it can't hurt anything.

There have been intermittent reports over the last couple years of a small minority of stores that would allow the discount automatically. Those stroes seemed to have an older computer/software system that was still programmed to allow the extra discount. There have always been a few managers who had instituted a specific perk to shop at their store to allow a manual discount on certain sale items.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
That's the first time I've heard it worked for this sale. They have been others that tried it and no discount was taken.
I havent been to a store yet this sale, but I'm hoping to later this week -- might as well try it since it can't hurt anything.

There have been intermittent reports over the last couple years of a small minority of stores that would allow the discount automatically. Those stroes seemed to have an older computer/software system that was still programmed to allow the extra discount. There have always been a few managers who had instituted a specific perk to shop at their store to allow a manual discount on certain sale items.
No extra discount on my store visit today.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
They’ve added a lot more now, but they never include all of them.
Amazon has the ones I want discounted now.

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
BN Gift Card $50 for $39.99 -- BJ's

This appears to be online and in-store for members. Limit 1 per member.

For those with a membership this seems to be a screaming deal. It's been a long time sicne I've seen a BN physical GC 20% off. As it happens, there is a BJ 1/2 mile from one of my closest BN stores and the last time I did the store rounds, this store had by far the best organized and stocked Criterion Stock. As expected the person in charge of this department or area of the store happened to be a Criterion fan and knew where all the discs were placed so he helped me gather all my items quickly and nice conversation on top (used to happen all the time, lately not so much)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Too bad I don't do BJs -- I don't suppose Costco would offer similar.

But glad that you'll benefit from that, David. You definitely deserve it (particular given all that you do re: providing info for the various deals/promos/etc).

I have some Discover Card rewards $$$ to spend, but think I'll probably just save it for another clothing run or something like that as GCs for those tend to be (significantly) better deals than B&N... even though I'd like to give a little bizz to B&N on such sales (instead of Amazon). Maybe I'll still end up picking up a title or two from B&N this Saturday anyway, if the stock at the Manhattan Union Square location is (still) any good (as I will be near there for a PSC chamber concert)... or maybe the one near Bryant Park the next time I go to AMC Empire 25 (now that I'm an A-Lister, LOL) or "The Rock" or something... :P

_Man_

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Well, the BJ GC deal does work in-store without any trouble. I thought about trying to go through the checkout a 2nd time and see if it worked again but decided not to push my luck. Looked at the Online Site and it appears I;m still eligible to ge the 20% off card online as well.

Instore, BN does have the $10 Bonus for buying $100 GC. Obviously not as good, but the instore Bonus card is a std GC without any restriction so could have been redeemed immediately.

My store was pretty well stocked -- only thing they didn't have I wanted was Days of Heaven 4K, but none of the stores out to 100 mi show stock and it's OOS online -- EDIT: it appears I missed the an announcement that this was delayed to Dec 5 and even forgot to look my own list from above?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I don't suppose they'd allow us to use a GC (like from Discover Card's rewards) to buy their GC to get the additional 10% bonus? :lol:

Just noticed Discover's now offering 20% extra value for B&N GC redemptions -- that's their highest ever (and higher than most right now)... and don't recall if they were ever actually that high for B&N before...

Maybe I'll give that a try, if I find enough (totaling around $100 or so) for me to buy... :P

_Man_

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
BN has never allowed GC purchases by GC. I have used CC rewards to buy Generic Preloaded VISA and those are definitely OK and allowed stacking discounts.

What is Discover's Current deal -- never had a Discover Card before. AMEX Cards oftne have deals -- spend $xxxx at a certainly retailer, get a $XX rebate directly to your CC account. Is Discover similar to that? If so then buying $100 BN GC to get the $10 Bonus BN GC and a $20 rebate from Discover seems like a no brainer to me ($110 for 80) even if you aren't going to use it immediately.

Then if you make a Purchase you gain BN Stamps even with the Free Member progam that build a future discount credit. I forgot I had $15 leftover from my second July purchase so was able to apply that at the register today -- pulled up on the checkout Computer when she input my Account Phone number so it was basically automatic. I did not get an extra 10% off with my membership, but that was expected despite the Wayne's luck

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BN has never allowed GC purchases by GC. I have used CC rewards to buy Generic Preloaded VISA and those are definitely OK and allowed stacking discounts.

What is Discover's Current deal -- never had a Discover Card before. AMEX Cards oftne have deals -- spend $xxxx at a certainly retailer, get a $XX rebate directly to your CC account. Is Discover similar to that? If so then buying $100 BN GC to get the $10 Bonus BN GC and a $20 rebate from Discover seems like a no brainer to me ($110 for 80) even if you aren't going to use it immediately.

Then if you make a Purchase you gain BN Stamps even with the Free Member progam that build a future discount credit. I forgot I had $15 leftover from my second July purchase so was able to apply that at the register today -- pulled up on the checkout Computer when she input my Account Phone number so it was basically automatic. I did not get an extra 10% off with my membership, but that was expected despite the Wayne's luck

Discover used to also have that kinda deal to earn rewards, but not anymore. It's just rewards cashback redemptions for GCs at discount -- and right now, they're offering 20% discount for B&N GCs instead of their usual 10% discount (vs 15% for some of the clothing retailers I was considering).

Back when B&N was still honoring the 10%-off member's discount for Criterion sales (NVM the stackable coupons), I would often redeem Discover cashback at upto 20% off to spend on this sale... but not so much in recent few years (partly because Discover lowered the discount to just 10%... until now). I was also using my Amex rewards this way in the past (though Amex simply never offered quite as good discounts, if at all) -- same w/ Chase's Visa IIRC.

_Man_

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

2x and 4x Stamps Membership Offer Black Friday 2023​

Premium Members: At Barnes & Noble and at Paper Source Stores from November 24, 2023 through November 27, 2023 at close of business, and online at BN.com from November 23, 2023 through November 26, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, Premium Members can earn four (4) Stamps for every $10 spent on purchases of eligible items made in Stores in a single transaction or on BN.com in a single order (including pre-orders) after all discounts (except Rewards) are taken.

BLACK FRIDAY BONUS DEAL FOR BN FREE MEMBERS AND PREMIUM MEMBERS

Rewards Members
: At Barnes & Noble and at Paper Source Stores from November 24, 2023 through November 27, 2023 at close of business, and online at BN.com from November 23, 2023 through November 26, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, Rewards Members can earn two (2) Stamps for every $10 spent on purchases of eligible items made in Stores in a single transaction or on BN.com in a single order (including pre-orders) after all discounts (except Rewards) are taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks