What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
For those not following other discussions -- Criterion has apparently lost the rights to Costa-Gavras The Confession and is now considered OOP. The news appeared to spread quickly and BN.com is now OOS or backordered at most online sites including Amazon and Criterion.com except via 3rd Party who haven't doubled their prices yet. Nobody seems quite sure is the status of "State of Siege" has changed, but so far it's in stock at most of the sites.

Many BN stores still have this in stock for those who have been waiting or putting this on the back burner.
Thanks for the tip. I was able to call my local store and they had one left!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have two cards, one is a B&N credit card and the other is a B&N membership card with a member number that is on my B&N account.

I asked and it sounds like the cashier still has to apply the discount even you're paying with the BN branded CC. At least with the member number written on the card that should be an easy thing if you're without the BN Member Card itself -- phone number or email address associated with membership should also work.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I asked and it sounds like the cashier still has to apply the discount even you're paying with the BN branded CC. At least with the member number written on the card that should be an easy thing if you're without the BN Member Card itself -- phone number or email address associated with membership should also work.
Yeah, the actual credit card doesn't have the actual member number on it. However, I have membership card that does so I'll just present both cards to the cashier.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I stopped in against my better judgement and picked up a few:

Dietrich and Von Sternberg
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Bicycle Thieves
The Awful Truth

I may go back this week and order a few older titles that they don't have in stock. And of course there is never a shortage of Criterions on my want list. ;)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I forget the end date of the sale, and didn’t see it in recent postings.

I was thinking August 6th. Right? Wrong?

Thanks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I forget the end date of the sale, and didn’t see it in recent postings.

I was thinking August 6th. Right? Wrong?

Thanks.
I was just wondering the same thing and earlier, David said:

It appears the website is starting to load the banner and Sale Information, but not the prices. A third end date appears to be the official date as was hinted at earlier today by some people.

Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale
June 29 through August 6, 2018

CRITERION 50% OFF SALE
If that date is wrong, blame him and not me. :)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder since BN and Criterion have both sent out emails today -- Criterion 50% Sale ends Monday night Aug 6. I know with the 10 date changes this sale had it might have got lost that they moved the end date back a full week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally made it to the store today. Picked up The Awful Truth, A Matter of Life & Death, and the Dietrich & Von Sternberg in Hollywood set. Also hoped to find the Guillermo del Toro trilogy on blu, but they only had the DVD set. Oh well, something for the next sale.

And it's great to have the in-store membership discount (10%) stack on top of the half-price sale.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I ended up with quite a haul with this particular sale:

The Age of Innocence
Bull Durham
Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood
Gilda
A Matter of Life and Death
Midnight Cowboy
The Virgin Suicides
Woman of the Year
Women in Love

Of that bunch, two were blind buys (The Virgin Suicides and Women in Love); the others I either had on DVD previously and needed to upgrade or had seen and wanted to add to my collection.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Had already bought a slew of titles online earlier in the month but went to the B&N in Pikesville, MD the day after sale ended. There was a display of 50% off titles (not Criterion). Picked Blu-rays of The Darkest Hour and Hacksaw Ridge. Also bought a DVD (with digital copy) of Enchanted April, a title not on BR, but a personal favorite and a delightful romantic date movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just used the coupon code 5OFF30NOW to order Won't You Be My Neighbor? and a book I've been meaning to buy, and noticed that since renewing my Barnes & Noble membership the Express 2-day shipping is now Express 3-day shipping.

Whether the two-day promise was kept has always depended on what shipper they used anyway, so maybe they're just trying to be more honest now.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The express shipping I think a lot of us just ignored or took with a huge grain of salt. The Free Part was all I really cared about, but I do think it varies quite a bit on where you are in the country and what you order what it's listed as in at checkout. I think a lot of the NYC/Manhattan folks get 1 day and even same day delivery for certain items.

My Criterion preorder from the last 50% sale last week shipped Tuesday and arrived Saturday. Normally my preorders ship Friday-Monday, but I figured Labor Day weekend might have changed things last week. Unless I'm going to get a shipping notice later tonight my 9/11 release may not be dispatched early either. I've never been a Release Day Warrior anyway, but it is somewhat different than past.
The other thing I noticed was last weeks title came out of NJ (or through NJ) rather than Shepherdsville where 98% of my BN movies ship from. I'll be really interested is seeing if that repeats for Cold Water and next week My Man Godfrey follow the same pattern.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can I get these B&N discount coupons without being a member or having their CC?

There are special coupon packet for 1st Time Members that are store and online and are good for at least 60 days and may be good for quite a bit long. There are short term coupons available for non-members as well and multiple ways they show up.

Some coupons are available to everyone and they are posted on BN,com. You can also sign up email(s) for their Be In the Know newsletter/ Usually when you go to BN.com on a clean browser (or Incognito) a box pops up offering you a one time 15% off single item coupon fro signing up a new email. This usually puts you on the mailing list for future ads and coupons (make sure you add the address to the non-spam list). The one time coupon says it's good for 30 days but honestly it seems to work long beyond that.

Every couple weeks through most of the year they usually send out some discount codes -- sometimes an online only, sometimes stores, some both, some single item codes, some whole transaction codes, sometimes everyone get the same coupon, sometime each code is unique and each email gets a different code like this week. During Holiday season the codes come out weekly or even a couple times a week. Members often get bigger discounts in addition to the instore 10% -- this week there is a single item 15% off Unique ID coupon for nonmembers and members get a 20% off single item code. Most of the weekly email codes are good for 3-5 days.

You can always ask on here for extra codes. If they have unique ID codes the each email address gets a distinct code and I get plenty of extras to give away. Most of the year 15% is the usual discount, but during Nov/Dec and rarely other Holidays they'll give out 20/25 even 30% discounts though the 30% is usually member only. Twice before they even did 40% off codes (one BF sale and once for Labor Day)

This is non activated version of this weeks coupon. These used to accepted for even the Criterion sales, but the last 3-4 sales they;ve basically disallowed any discounts other the in-store member 10% for that sale. The other sales (50% British TV sales, 40% off All/Most Blurays, 40-50% random Arrow Sales) so far have usually allowed most coupons.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promos/bn-promo.jsp?cid=5f75bb:xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The use. care, and feeding of BN coupons can be aggravating even to those who are used to it on top of BN online and BN stores essentially operatiing semi independently. Each set of coupon rounds can even function differently and individual stores/Clerks have some randomness is how they allow them to be used especially in combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks