What's new

Barnes & Noble 40% off MSRP Blu-ray sale June 06-TBD, 2017 (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The 40% Off Sale this June is scheduled for 1 week only starting 6/13 through 6/19 -- exclusions Disney, Marvel, and Criterions. See SNEAK PREVIEW at end of thread about Criterion Sale

This sale is 40% off MSRP. The June sale has normally also included DVDs unless the Dec sales, but I have no information if that applies to the 2017 sale.

In the past ALL in-store items are discounted (except for exclusions) and the majority of online items (2/3), but often some newer releases and some specialty studio items aren't included online (preorders also excluded). In-store items also include items ordered ship-to-home from a store terminal which also allows your member discount to apply. Many stores will even do this by phone, but this isn't standard policy and my store would only allow CC purchases (no Gift Cards for those that stocked up during the discount GC Sales last Holiday season).

You can also call them and have most items to be brought into the store and reserved for pickup, but remember this is a reservation and not an order so you have to pickup the items during the sale period.

In the past they also allowed discount coupons to used on 40% off items in addition to the member discount, but in December this was curtailed. Unfortunately I don't know how they will be handled this sale plus the number of codes/coupons available has been significantly curtailed over the past couple months.

SNEAK PREVIEW
First word has been leaked that the Criterion 50% Sale is scheduled to start July 11. It's from an employee with a good track record and the date fits with previous sales so I'd say pretty high probability though BN has been known to bump the start date occasionally. With July 4th on a Tuesday though I find it unlikely they'd start on the 4th. No end date was mentioned, but the std July sale has normally been 4 weeks so that would make the last day Aug 7.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
For anyone checking in -- it appears BN may be running this starting this week. There are a lot of BD and DVD 40% off already and will need to check the store banners tomorrow to see if this is active in store yet. A couple veteran clerks/acting media managers I asked last week had no idea something was coming which would seem to be unusual if they had to get a major sale ready

If it's confirmed I see if the mod can adjust the thread title.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Definitely in place online

11000 Blurays (so about 2/3 of their inventory)
38000 DVDs
130 UHD titles

I'm still waiting on someone to confirm store sale and re-confirm the end date.

THANKSDAD discount code also working for online sales -- code expires 6/8 2:59am ET
10% off whole order $40 or more
15% off whole order $60 or more

I'm not aware of any in-store coupons active unless you got the recent member snail mail 20% item.
If you sign up a new email in the "Be In the Know" box you should receive a 15% single use coupon in about 24hrs (one time use in store or online)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hasn't B&N been the most overpriced source for DVD/BLU/CD since the days of Musicland and similar places? Do their new "discounts" just bring prices back down to the normal everyday prices you see at Best Buy/Walmart/Amazon or are the prices truly way deeper than even those other retailers??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I took a look at some of their UHD titles and they don't look like their discounted 40%.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did buy a couple of UHD discs at $13.79 each which were Snitch and Ex Machina along with seven other blu-ray discs.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Hasn't B&N been the most overpriced source for DVD/BLU/CD since the days of Musicland and similar places? Do their new "discounts" just bring prices back down to the normal everyday prices you see at Best Buy/Walmart/Amazon or are the prices truly way deeper than even those other retailers??

Depends on the group of items you want to buy. Std Mass market items aren't going to be a great price since the 40% starts at MSRP.
If you want to buy on a random day then BN can have some unique items, but aren't going to be competitive with BBY or Amazon though they often have groups of items that can be shockingly good. If you just want to point and click of any given Wednesday for a Movie that crossed your mind Tuesday night then BN isn't for you.

Groups of items like Flicker Alley, Shout, WAC that don't usually get steep discounts can sometimes be quite good prices esp when you can stack other discounts. BN can make you work for a deal and sometimes you feel like the Crazy Coupon Lady at the grocery store, but if you are patient and use what they have available sometimes the numbers can be shocking. BN Gift Cards are frequently available for 10-15% and even 20+% off which can amplify a mediocre deal or make a good deal spectacular.

I get the majority of my WAC discs from these sales and my next average price is under $10. The criterion 50% off sales, British TV 50% off, the Arrow 50% sale last year, the two 40% sales have expanded my If you don't mind waiting for the Criterion Sales especially and like to hold your item before purchasing (esp Boxsets) then BN might be about your only National Option

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Just let us know and I'll revise the thread title!

I just got back from the store and there isn't anything going on in store except the usual select items groups. I had them scan a couple items that should have been eligible and they came up full price.

The online 40% does seem to be in effect though. I still guessing the store sale starts next week. I'm less sure if the online part will continue through FD or if they are splitting the sales.

I took a look at some of their UHD titles and they don't look like their discounted 40%.

Were they recent releases? I spot checked about 15 current releases and they did show up 40% off, but the online sale has never been all items unfortunately. New release items often aren't included on the website, but would be instore once the sale starts there (as well as the store generated ship to home). Since the starting point is MSRP sometimes the prices really aren't substantially better anyway. The official 40% 4K items seem to be mid May or earlier releases (Passengers at 18.60 was one of the better deals). A couple of today's releases have a great price -- Ex Machina and Snitch are 13.50. Dredd was a good price, but is now OOS

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
In-store sale has now started.

Online items still included, but not all items.

The best deals appear as usual to be on studios that don't really discount titles often, but those aren't carried in stock and are more likely to be undiscounted online.
Utilizing their shiptohome services are the way to get the 40% off price with my member discount and store coupons. I find this is an excellent way to get Warner Archive titles.

One new release title that appears to have the best price is Lego Batman which everyone seem to have 24.99/29.99/29.99 for the 2D/3D/4K releases. BN starting prices are 21.60/26.99/26.99 so good for PM and even better using the other discounts possible

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks