What's new

Band of Brothers on dvd, any ideas?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I don't have HBO. But, I am wondering if anyone has any solid info on whether this show will be released on dvd or not? And if yes, any idea when?
Thanks!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Todd, this miniseries hasn't even aired yet so I think a DVD release could be a ways off.
If this is any indication, it took Sopranos and Sex and the City a few years after airing to be released on DVD. If we figure the same timeline, you might see it on DVD in late 2003.
Gord

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I have no actual information. But I'd be surprised if it wasn't on DVD in 2002.
Billy Crystal's 61* was on HBO this spring and it's out on DVD next week. I know it isn't nearly as long as BoB, but I'd still expect a relatively quick turnaround to DVD for this set.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
"Band of Brothers" is the most expensive film ever for HBO. With the people backing this being the same as Private Ryan, you can bet it'll be out soon just to recover the $120 million cost.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The closest analogy is probably From the Earth to the Moon, which was also a Hanks production. First broadcast in April 1998, it arrived on DVD in November of that year.
M.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
HBO also had When Trumpets Fade sometime in 98. Not sure when it was released on DVD. It is about the battles of the Hurtgen Forest in the fall of 1944.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
Good flick, I enjoyed the story better than Saving Private Ryan.
Not sure of the OAR, I haven't attempted to figure out the different ratios, but When Trumpets Fade is full screen and I believe it aired that way also.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine who works at a newspaper recently received the press kit, which had the entire series on (shudder) VHS in a box set that was clearly packaged for release to the consumer market. I'm sure the series has also been prepared for DVD, it'ws just a question of when it will be released.
My guess would be spring.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I will have a hard time watching this on DVD after seeing it broadcast originally in glorious HDTV. DVD almost looks like VHS when compared to HDTV.
Kevin C.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I just got my HBO subscription today so I can watch BoB. The quality isnt quite what I expected (even for cable), and I need a cable box, and it's $16 a month!!
frown.gif
So hopefully the show is worth it.
I'm sure I'll pick this up on DVD when it's available too... though I said that about FTETTM as well and still don't have that.
So they are airing this in HD as well huh? Damn all of you with your new fangled HDTV sets!
frown.gif
wink.gif

Hopefully it's broadcast in widescreen. All of the previews have been that I've seen (all 2 of them)
Brian
[Edited last by BrianShort on September 06, 2001 at 12:21 AM]

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
From the Earth to the Moon didn't take too long...so who knows. Let's just hope HBO doesn't do a George Lucas and wait 10 years!!

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
If the sound is of the same quality as "When Trumpets Fade", I will not be disappointed. The German Tiger tanks firing are awesome.
I agree that this was a great story. HBO is one of the best at doing movies IMHO.
The clip I saw last night of "BOB" was very exciting. It showed a C47 with paratroopers on board burst into flames and the pilot saying they were too low for jumping.
Damn, I can't wait!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
HBO is apart of AOL/Time-Warner, so they just make their made for TV movies like what they are... smaller budgeted theatrical-like movies. That's why the quality is much higher than your run of the mill ABC, CBS, or NBC crap-o-vision movie of the week.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Dan Wetzel

Grip
I'll definitely buy this when it comes out on dvd, regardless of how much the box set costs. The first two episodes were awesome. I liked them even more than Saving Private Ryan. Can't wait for the third installment.
------------------
DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks