What's new

Bad upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I currently have a mismatched 6.1 system. I not sure any of the model numbers. I have 2 JBL bookshelves, a KLH center, and 3 Kenwood sats.

For around $275(w/ free shipping) I can get...

(1)SONY CENTER
(2)SONY 8" BOOKSHELVES
(3)SONY 5 1/4" BOOKSHELVES

I would use these with my Kenwood 6070 receiver and my Sony WM40 sub. I would use these for about 80% movies and 20% music.

Are these speakers any good or are they garbage. Are there any other speakers I could get in this price range or for a little more. Any help would be greatly appericated.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You'd have to listen to them and decide for yourself. Browsing around here you'll notice most people have speakers that can range in price from as much as the one you're buying...all the way to as much as a car. Sony's rep hasn't been strong in the speaker department, but that may have changed. Is there a Best Buy near you? Why not head over there and listen. If you're fine with the sound, then pick 'em up.

And then there's always Best Buys 30 day return policy...

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply, since I work 2nd shift and have class in the mornings it's hard for me to make the time. I was hoping maybe someone on here has heard them or knows something about them. I haven't been able to find any reviews on them.

I really want a matching speaker set that I can afford at the moment to hold me over until I can get something better.

Jason GT

Second Unit
If you're just into movies or 2 channel (ie, not multichannel) audio, why don't you pick up a (JBL) center that matches your JBL fronts?

It could save you a bit of money, too.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
If you're just into movies or 2 channel (ie, not multichannel) audio, why don't you pick up a (JBL) center that matches your JBL fronts?
My JBL speakers are pretty old and were really cheap. I want to get a set of MATCHING speakers.

Now I'm thinking that I just might upgrade my fronts and then my surrounds later. Any suggestions in the $300-400 range for 2 fronts and a center. Thanks.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
From what I've read and heard myself I dont think that the Sony speakers would be much of an improvement.
For an inexpensive, quality upgrade consider something like this from onkyo...
http://www.onkyousa.com/zoom.cfm?m=SKS-HT510&type=8
The Onkyo systems are usually very well regarded around the forums. You can do a search on the forum for Onkyo and see what people have to say.

Sorry, that first link was just a large picture and no details. Heres the link with the info including price...
http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...510&type=8&p=i

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Thanks Bill for the info!

If I could get those for a little less without the sub, but
I think I'm just going to stick with replacing my fronts and then I'll upgrade the rears later.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Yeah I've seen those Jed M, I've heard ALOT of good things about them and they are priced right. They just don't look very good. I kinda want something that looks good as well as sounds good(if that's possible).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, there are plenty of speakers that look good and sound good...

just not at the price point you're looking at. :)

Seriously, at the lower price points you're going to find some quality speakers, and mostly not-so-good-quality speakers.

If the fluance has good customer word of mouth, and you're absolutely committed to this price point, then I say looks be damned, get the better sounding speakers!

StanleyW

Stunt Coordinator
you can get a jbl northridge speaker system, 5 speakers, on ebay for about $270. i have a set that i use for only ht and they are an absolute steal for the money. i am running them with a sony 4es receiver. good luck.

JonathanOh

Agent
With a budget of ~300-400 for just the 3 fronts you have good options.

You can look for a used set in any of the respected brands discussed often here--Paradigm, NHT, Energy just to name a few I have actually heard and sounded good to me--or go new.

I believe onecall.com has some NHT superzeros for $87 ea. You can use one of them for the center if they sell individuals or see if they have a simlar price for the matching center. Strech your budget a bit more and you can get a set of 5 or just get the front 3--IMO it will make a huge difference for you.

Your budget also opens up Boston Aquostics, Paradigm Atoms with center (don't know the name) and other mainstream brands you can find at Best Buy and Curcuit City. Actually, the Paradigms will not be at the mass market stores but you should be able to find a shop that has them.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, you might wanna look at some Wharfedale Diamond 8's.
They fit your budget, sound damn good, and look the part too.
The dealer I bought mine from sales them at a deep discount so you could get the 8.3 towers and a center for just a little over $300. Or substitute some 8.2 bookshelves and bring it down even lower.
I also talked my brother into a set of Wharfedale Crystal's that are a newer series right under the Diamonds and I must say they sound almost on par with my Diamonds at a lower price still.
Have fun shopping.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You might also want to cruise your local Sams Club or Costco. Funny things sometimes wind up appearing there and it seems to be on a very regional/store specific basis. Personally, I'd hold off a bit on the Sony's. The thing is, if you want to sell them, I'm not so sure how much of your money you'll be able to recoup. Another thought is to see if there's anything on eBay that's being sold in your general area. The thinking being that you could at least hear them.
Hat's off to you though for going to school and working. Best of luck!!

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Kevin, you might wanna look at some Wharfedale Diamond 8's.
They fit your budget, sound damn good, and look the part too.
The dealer I bought mine from sales them at a deep discount so you could get the 8.3 towers and a center for just a little over $300. Or substitute some 8.2 bookshelves and bring it down even lower.
Is it a local dealer? I've looked at those and they would cost me ALOT more then that.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
This is a local dealer but I had mine delivered to my door.
They're actually about 30 miles away if that's local.
Anyway, they'll deliver to anywhere as far as I know.
You can request a quote at ayselectronics.com since the Diamonds are not listed on their site.
They're an authorized dealer too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks