What's new

Babylon 5 on DVD: Vote with your dollars (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Sheridan has his prophetic dream (almost certainly a telepathic message from Kosh) in episode 211, "All Alone in the Night." Most of it is explained in 321, "Shadow Dancing":
You can find more information and analysis (including a complete breakdown of Sheridan's dream) at Link Removed. The link is to the Australian mirror of this invaluable site. Some of the links may not work. The main site has been down for the past month or two due to server issues. They're currently seeking a new home on another server.
The Guide Pages, synopses and analysis are all fan-written, and date from the first (U.S.) airing of each episode - so they mostly avoid spoilers if you read through them in sequence, and it is fun to follow along with the contemporary speculation about what was coming next as the series unfolded. I think Warner Bros. should license the content of the Guide for the DVDs - which I'm sure the folks who run it would do for a song - and include the appropriate pages on each episode disc in TV-readable text form. Of course, I also think they should have started releasing the series in anamorphic widescreen season boxed sets a couple of years ago, so what do I know? :)
Regards,
Joe

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
There were 3 chances that the prophetess (Majel Roddenbury) gave him.

You must save the eye that cannot see.

You must not kill the one who is already dead.

Lastly, You must embrace your deepest fear.

Lets take this as.

Saving the Eye again, this being the Centauri artifact.

Don't kill Sheridan! Which he didn't do.

His deepest fear is probably death by a Narn/J'kar.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Saving the Eye again, this being the Centauri artifact.
Sorry Phil, wrong answer. Would you like to try for Double Jeopardy, where the scores can really change? :)
(Bonus points for identifying the movie that I'm paraphrasing. :D)
See above. The eye that cannot see can't be the Centauri artifact for the excellent reason that Londo is never in a position to save it again. He simply returns it to the Centauri government (which wins him favor) and it is never shown on the series after that. There is no way that one of the major chances would go unshown in the series. That isn't playing fair. JMS is a long-time mystery writer (and producer on Murder She Wrote) and he knows that you have to give the audience all the facts and enough information to work out the clues.
Regards,
Joe

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I took 'the eye that cannot see' to mean saving G'Kar from the Emperor, but I fully admit to being shaky on that assumption. And are you suggesting that Phil is Hans Gruber? Thats not terribly nice ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
There is also the issue of the show changing course a couple of times throughout its runs from its original intention. My guess is that some of these visions and predictions were geared towards different conclusions that would have otherwise been less ambiguous.

I find Justin being the "man in the middle" to be an odd answer to that riddle. I mean, it makes sense I suppose, but why have so much mystery dedicated to a one-shot minor character?

Of course, you can always brush this sort of thing aside by reasoning, "Well, predictions are ambiguous, they aren't always true, etc, etc."

Paul P

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Killing the one who is already dead could refer to the Centauri republic, or the Centauri EMPIRE. They are no more. He resurrected them, and then killed them again by the end of season 5. That makes sense to me.
The eye that cannot see could be Cartagia and his inability to see right, or to G'kar and his hatred of the centauri. He broke this trust through the attack on Narn. Or it could be his own hatred and greed for power. He could not see the truth, but he had the opportunity to save himself nonetheless, and chose to neglect what he deeply knew was the right move, to not attack the Narn.
As for his deepest fear, I'd say that's firmly addressed in
The very long night of Londo Mollari.
Link Removed

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I didn't have much faith on my Eye answer.

Oh well...

I think Londo's 2 blown chanced were going with Morden, and

then not preventing the Narn/Centaur was when the Emperor came to B5.

The other man who is already dead might be Refa, who had

already been partially poisoned.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I find Justin being the "man in the middle" to be an odd answer to that riddle. I mean, it makes sense I suppose, but why have so much mystery dedicated to a one-shot minor character?
But I don't think Justin is an example of this. :) They really didn't make a huge deal about the "man in the middle" He was mentioned once in the second season, in the middle of a symbolic dream that involved a half-dozen other images/mysteries. Most of them were resolved in a single line of dialogue. "The Man in the Middle" doesn't come up again until the end of the third season - immediately before his identity is revealed - so this is more of a reminder and set-up for the next episode than anything else. The whole "man in the middle" thing certainly doesn't rank up there with Sinclair's missing 24 hours or the reason behind the Minbari surrender, both of which are brought up repeatedly from the pilot through the whole first season. I think the fans made a mch bigger deal about the "man in the middle" than the show ever did.
Besides, Justin was a Sheridan plot element, introduced after Sheridan was, and resolved in connection with Sheridan. It wasn't a left-over from Sinclair that now had to be dealt with differently. (As I suspect both "War Without End" and the series finale were because of O'Hare's departure.)
Regards,
Joe

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Joe, are you telling me that science fiction fans make a big deal out of little insignificant things? No, stop, I don't believe it. ;)
I personally give some extra attention to prophecies and visions in stories. It must be my interest in mythology that gears my brain toward that sort of thing. Plus, it bugs me not nowing what stuff is, which made my initial viewing of B5 quite vexing.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks