What's new

B&W sub,vs.VelodyneF1800R,vs. Carve Sunfire true sub (1 Viewer)

Thomas C. H

Auditioning
Hello all!! My first message here!! Great forum!! I am looking to get a sub in the near future! My choices are the new Nautilus sub that will coming out, the Velodyne,F1800R and the Carver Sunfire True Sub! I am looking to spend a good amount on one due to the fact that I want a "musical" sub!! I do spend many hours of listening to music besides movies and I have found many subs in the $500-$800 range to be a bit boomy for music!! Great for movies though! I was an installer for a home theater company while I was in school and I have heard both the Velodyne and the Carver!! I always thought the Carver was tight!! I have yet to hear the new Nautilus!! When is that due out?? I would to hear all oppionions!!

My current rig:
Yamaha RX V 1300 rcvr.
B&W Nautilus 804 mains (black)
B&W CC6 center
Paradigm Titans for rears!
Sony DVD
Sony 36" WEGA TV

Future components, A Krell amp of some kind!! (not sure which one I want)
B&W Nautilus 805 for rears
Monster Cable Power distibutor/regulator
Hopefully someday, B&W Sig 800's Tigers Eye finish

I listen to all types of music as I am a Wedding Dj on the weekends so I do not have one style of musical taste!!

Favorite Demo CD Four Play :Bali Run

Any help would be appreciated!!

PS Tell me about REL!!!

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Thomas, I think your "!" key is sticking. . . :)

There's another thread running right now discussing RELs vs. some other subs (REL Stentor....what is an SVS equal?). Lots of controversy over the notion of a "musical" sub--what qualifies as "musical", whether a sub can be good for HT and music both, etc.

You didn't ask for other options, but if your not familiar with SVS, Hsu Research, or Adire Audio, it may be well worth your time to look them up. Outstanding performance at great prices. The "I have found many subs in the $500-$800 range to be a bit boomy for music" may not apply to these guys if they're properly setup. (SVS, Hsu Research, Adire Audio)

If you're limited to the Velodyne or Carver, I'm with TV on the Velodyne. The Carver is cute though. :)

Regards,

Mike

Ned

Supporting Actor
Thomas-

That CC6 absolutely must go. You can use it as a rear center some day but that speaker is totally inadequate for the Nautilus line. Run don't walk and get the HTM-1/2.

The Velo is a good sub but for what you pay you could get a lot more.

Keir H

Second Unit
I have to agree with Ned (and I am sure others) on that one, do yourself a favor and audition, no buy the HTM1 or HTM 2 to match your mains better. :D I heard them both and there is simply no comparision between it (HTM2) and a CC6.

Also, can anyone give him an insight on what he can do for more power?? I did not know that particular Yamaha rcvr. could power some 804's effectively or am I wrong? You may not have to spend as much as (Krell) to get ample power for the 804's.

Welcome to the Forum, you'll learn alot here! :)

Thomas C. H

Auditioning
Guys please let me come up for air. I am a young homeowner too.(25) None of my components are a year old yet.
1. When I listen to music I only listen to my mains. I never have the center on when I play music.
2. SO FAR, I am pleased the way my center works with the CC6. I am also not far from the TV so the center does actually well. I know it is not the HTM. I was looking at that when I bought my 804's! Yes my Yamaha powers the 804's effectively FOR NOW.
This thread wasn't about center channel speakers either. Sorry.

Thank you Mike. I will check them both out. I do keep seeing threads about SVS here and there.

I quote someone on here "ONE COMPONENT AT A TIME"

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I've heard the various Velodynes (I prefer the FSR 15 for music over the 18, but the 18 does go low enough to make cats go into seizures), B&Ws (I wasn't too impressed for the price when I last heard them about 4 years ago), and Carver (sig wasn't bad for the size, but not even average at it's price imho). I would definitely recommend the Vels as this is what pushed me over the edge to the Diy of building a sub (once you experience good clean bass presented correctly, it does become a need) if your going to buy a Brick Mortar availible sub but would highly recommend contacting Brian Bunge or Kyle to custom build you a sub based on the Adire Tumult Drivers and pick up a crown K1-2 to power it for about the same price.

Thomas C. H

Auditioning
Rob,you amde an interesting point about the Crown K1-K2. My father uses a K1 to drive his Legacies. It sounds awesome. I think the damping factor is like 3k. I am a Dj on the weekends and I use Crown amps. I swear by them.
I was thinking about a separate amp and sub combo as well like you mentioned. I came across this Macintosh double 15" sub a couple of years ago (back in 98). Never got the model no. though. It kind of looked like an end table or small coffee table. THe woofers fired downward. I think they had it powered by a Macintosh amp of some sort. Man did that sound nice!!

Rob what is a Brick Mortar sub??? Pardon my ignorance,but I never heard of that!!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I would definately look into Robert's idea on getting a Tumult based sub built for you or building it yourself. Should be able to trounce over the three subs you mentioned.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Brick (and, I forgot to put the word "and" in the previous post) Mortar is a slang refering to the local dealer (the ones who don't also deal in appliance) vs the Mass Market (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc).

I would recommend looking at the Diy advanced section on this forum and see some of the drivers us hobbyists use to build home subs and what our expectations are for the money. If I were to buy a pre-built sub I'd contact Adire, HSU, SVS, VMPS, Stryke, Brian Bunge, or Kyle Richardson as these companies all offer compared to some of the store bought options (these drivers exceed what most commercial subs are actually built with) and having a few crown amps already you might can own a pair (with each being able to outperform what you're currently looking at). Hope this helps you out.

Thomas C. H

Auditioning
Rob one more question here! You are gettting me very curious here. A regular subwoofer like Velodyne,Paradigm,etc all have internal crossovers and gain controls. What do you do for crossovers with these units being that they are externally powered!! Are we talking studio brand crossovers like DBX,Rane,Behringer??? I know Rane has a THX rated eq for theaters. Or do these custom sub units have an internal crossover which enables you to run a speaker line from the amp to the sub like a conventional speaker???
Thank you again for your help.
;)

If you are into music look at the Vandersteen subs they are nice and not as costly as the ones you mentioned.

I have a paradigm servo-15 its a pretty good sub in its own right. I hear they have a Servo-25 due this year ..I don't think it uses a 25 i n driver though.

Good Luck,
Kris.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Thomas, I assume your AVR has a sub pre-out that you can simply hook an amp to power yours sub(s). The only problem you might encounter is that your AVR lacks a high enough level signal output so you might have to buy some form of line driver amp (SVS sells with with a variable x-over and subsonic filtering) for this as well. Also it's quite popular to use a Rane, Behringer, Art, etc to help tame the peaks induced by room modes as well as additional traps. You could also as an option get some of the high quality plate amps offered by adire as well to drive your subs (I use an Altec Pro amp to push my subs).

Thomas C. H

Auditioning
Rob any pics of your rig?? ALtec huh?? ALl I picture is a big bad torridal transformer under the frame of that amp!! :emoji_thumbsup: Thank you again.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Your Yamaha has an internal crossover at set at 90hz.

The Marchand box SVS sells doesn't have a variable x-over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks