What's new

B&w Cdm9-nt (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
How does the performance/sound of the CDM9-NT compare to the CDM7-NT and N804?

From what I understand the drivers in the CDM9 are the same as the N804 and the major difference is in the cabinet. I can't afford the N804 but could stretch the budget to the CDM9.

One option is to get CDM7 now and possibly upgrade to N804 (or next generation Nautilus) in a year or so.

Another option is to go with the CDM9's but I would not be upgrading to N803 (2x the price) so I would be living with the CDM9NT for a long time. Are the Nines and it's FST mid-driver worth another $4-500 over the CDM7NT? Is it really 95% of the N804 sound and I can forget about the Nautilus line altogether.

Thanks,

Gil

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Reading the specs, I just noticed that the N804 FST has a 6" diameter and the CDM9 has a 6.5" FST. So they are really not the same as I thought. Any opinions on how the sound measures up?

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
I have CDM 9 NT speakers for front speakers and I'm very happy with them. The 804 speakers do have a better bass response and I would say a much better overall sound. The CDM 9 NT looks just as good if not better on paper. The cabinet makes a big difference.

I've decided to keep my CDM 9 NT speakers rather than upgrade to the 804s for two reasons-first, the 804 is a much larger speaker physically and I have a small room. Second, I use two very good Titan II LE subwoofers for the bass and haves my speakers crossed over with the sub at 60 hz. If anything, I would add CDM 9 NT speakers as surrounds to upgrade my sound.

My advice to you would be to buy the absolute best you can afford now and worry about the future later. The CDM 9 NT is a much better speaker than the CDM 7 NT and the 804 is far superior to either. If you use subwoofers with the CDM 9 NT, you may find upgrading to the 804 would add only a small marginal improvement to your system.

Best regards-Henry

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Henry.

I will be running with at least one sub. Probably an Adire Tempest DIY sub. With either speakers crossed over to a sub from 60-80Hz, is the CDM9nt equal to or 95% of the N804? I guess I'm not worried about the low bass, it's 80Hz on up.

What center and rear speakers do you use btw.

Gil

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Gil:

First, this is what I have:

HT- CDM1SEs for mains, CDMCSE center and 601S2s for rears powered by Rotel gear.

2-channel system - Nautilus 804s powered by Classe CAP-101 integrated.

When I first set up my HT three years ago, I had CDM7SEs. But once I added by Sunfire sub, I found no need for the floor-standers with the 80hz cut-off. I sold the 7s and went with the 1s.

My point is: the 7NTs combined with a quality sub will knock your socks off. I would think the only reason you would want to go with the 9NTs would be if you want to use them full-range for dedicated music without involving a sub. The 9s would certainly give you more low-end than the 7s.

As for going the Nautilus route: I think you have to be committed to spending a lot of money not just on the speakers, but on quality electronics as well. The amazing ability of these speakers can't be fully appreciated without quality electronics, IMO.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I have the 7NT's as my mains, and have been very pleased with them. I also listened to the 9NT's, and while they sounded better than the 7's, they didn't sound good enough to justify the price (I was already stretching the budget a little for the 7's as it was!). I'm running mine in conjunctin with a SVS 20-39CS sub, and it's been great.

If I had the cash on hand, sure I would've gotten the 9's. The 7's, however, are a great speaker and will do an excellent job for you, should you choose that route.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the speakers crossed over at 60 to 80 hz, the CDM 9 NT speakers will work fine. The 804 is a much better speaker if you can afford it, have the room for it, and wish to use it as a full range speaker.

I use a B&W HTM-1 center speaker and Infinity IL-40 speakers in the rear and on the sides.

Best regards-Henry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks