B&w Cdm9-nt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gil D, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

How does the performance/sound of the CDM9-NT compare to the CDM7-NT and N804?

From what I understand the drivers in the CDM9 are the same as the N804 and the major difference is in the cabinet. I can't afford the N804 but could stretch the budget to the CDM9.

One option is to get CDM7 now and possibly upgrade to N804 (or next generation Nautilus) in a year or so.

Another option is to go with the CDM9's but I would not be upgrading to N803 (2x the price) so I would be living with the CDM9NT for a long time. Are the Nines and it's FST mid-driver worth another $4-500 over the CDM7NT? Is it really 95% of the N804 sound and I can forget about the Nautilus line altogether.

Thanks,

Gil

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Reading the specs, I just noticed that the N804 FST has a 6" diameter and the CDM9 has a 6.5" FST. So they are really not the same as I thought. Any opinions on how the sound measures up?

3. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I have CDM 9 NT speakers for front speakers and I'm very happy with them. The 804 speakers do have a better bass response and I would say a much better overall sound. The CDM 9 NT looks just as good if not better on paper. The cabinet makes a big difference.

I've decided to keep my CDM 9 NT speakers rather than upgrade to the 804s for two reasons-first, the 804 is a much larger speaker physically and I have a small room. Second, I use two very good Titan II LE subwoofers for the bass and haves my speakers crossed over with the sub at 60 hz. If anything, I would add CDM 9 NT speakers as surrounds to upgrade my sound.

My advice to you would be to buy the absolute best you can afford now and worry about the future later. The CDM 9 NT is a much better speaker than the CDM 7 NT and the 804 is far superior to either. If you use subwoofers with the CDM 9 NT, you may find upgrading to the 804 would add only a small marginal improvement to your system.

Best regards-Henry

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Henry.

I will be running with at least one sub. Probably an Adire Tempest DIY sub. With either speakers crossed over to a sub from 60-80Hz, is the CDM9nt equal to or 95% of the N804? I guess I'm not worried about the low bass, it's 80Hz on up.

What center and rear speakers do you use btw.

Gil

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Gil:

First, this is what I have:

HT- CDM1SEs for mains, CDMCSE center and 601S2s for rears powered by Rotel gear.

2-channel system - Nautilus 804s powered by Classe CAP-101 integrated.

When I first set up my HT three years ago, I had CDM7SEs. But once I added by Sunfire sub, I found no need for the floor-standers with the 80hz cut-off. I sold the 7s and went with the 1s.

My point is: the 7NTs combined with a quality sub will knock your socks off. I would think the only reason you would want to go with the 9NTs would be if you want to use them full-range for dedicated music without involving a sub. The 9s would certainly give you more low-end than the 7s.

As for going the Nautilus route: I think you have to be committed to spending a lot of money not just on the speakers, but on quality electronics as well. The amazing ability of these speakers can't be fully appreciated without quality electronics, IMO.

6. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I have the 7NT's as my mains, and have been very pleased with them. I also listened to the 9NT's, and while they sounded better than the 7's, they didn't sound good enough to justify the price (I was already stretching the budget a little for the 7's as it was!). I'm running mine in conjunctin with a SVS 20-39CS sub, and it's been great.

If I had the cash on hand, sure I would've gotten the 9's. The 7's, however, are a great speaker and will do an excellent job for you, should you choose that route.

7. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

If you have the speakers crossed over at 60 to 80 hz, the CDM 9 NT speakers will work fine. The 804 is a much better speaker if you can afford it, have the room for it, and wish to use it as a full range speaker.

I use a B&W HTM-1 center speaker and Infinity IL-40 speakers in the rear and on the sides.

Best regards-Henry