What's new

B&W CDM-CNT as L/C/R a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I have the CDM-Cse and it's a great center. I would like to upgrade to the CDM-NT for a new HT room that will be used primarily for cinema.
Considering the CDM-NT center and CDM1 bookshelf differ in bass extension (50Hz vs 60Hz) and sensitivity(91dB vs 88dB), I am thinking to use 3 center versions across the front (as long as they fit!). I found the CDMse center to be a bit better with producing vocals and overall having an improved tonal balance over the CDM1 in the past. I haven't really done much listening with the new CDM1-NT but considering the specs are very similar to the old SE series I suspect not much has changed.
So the big question is: Is there anything specifically bad with using the center for Left/Right mains?
Of course I'd love to get the CDM9's (and must resist the temptation!) but I don't think 2X the price of a pair of CDM-CNT is justified primarily for cinema use.

Ned

Supporting Actor
The bass extension shouldn't be considered as any of these choices should be run in "small" with a high quality sub like SVS or velodyne. For absolute identical imaging across the front, 3 CNT's would no doubt be the best. The mid-range/tweeter are identical though, so using the 1NT's should (and is in my setup) a very close timbre match.
Would you want 3 of these across the front of your home theater? I would definitely consider it for a front projection system where you could set them all up at the same height on stands just below the screen edge, but for a RP or regular tv the 1NT/7NT/9NT are generally more appealing.
------------------
My Home Theater Page

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks