B&W 602 S3 - What Happened During Break-In?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TerryHub, Feb 16, 2003.

1. TerryHub

TerryHub Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up some B&W 602 S3's yesterday. And while they sound incredible for the money, they sound somewhat muffled in the upper frequency compared to my old DM600's (from ~8 years ago). In anyone's experience, will the upper frequencies open up a bit over time?

Thanks.

2. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

The sound of B&W speakers tend to get tighter over time - At least with my experience.

3. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I felt when looking at this model the same thing. I thought just like you maybe that's why I felt the mids were overemphasized.

Anyway, I don't think the high's are as much a breakin factor as the bass/midrange.

But, in their defense, I've found that once you get listening to a speaker for a while you really start liking it. I think the reason I didn't get the 600 series is because of an old set of JBL's I had that had a sound that I really liked and the Paradigms more closely fit my memory.(WOW that's scientific!) But, like I said. When I was demoing the 600's and the Studio series. After about a half hour of listening to either I was in love.

So, the only thing I can say is take 'em back if you aren't satisfied - too much money to not be satisified.

Mike

4. TerryHub

TerryHub Stunt Coordinator

Mike-

I completely agree. I do like the B&W's very much. I just observed some differences in sound in comparing the old with the new. Not that one is necessarily better than the other, just different. I was curious as to what should happen to them over time. By the way, I have done nothing to tweak the system in other than a simple SPL calibration. Maybe something will change there too.

5. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Your ears and brain will break in as well.

--Steve