B&W 602 S2 vs. Paradigm Studio 40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamJay, Nov 20, 2001.

1. WilliamJay

WilliamJay Stunt Coordinator

I realize speaker preference is dependent upon individual taste. But, I am curious as to which speaker people prefer. Also, if one is better than the other for either music or HT. Is there a significant difference in quality? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    If you are putting them in a 5.1 situation, I would look at the matching centers. I have heard that the B&W matching center has received a lot of complaints on this and other forums. (you might do a search for C6 and LCR6) or if your system can accomodate it, get another 602.

As far as comparison between that and Paradigm. It really depends on your equipment. I believe B+W is a more higher end speaker and will bring out flaws in your equipment. On the other hand, the B+W probably has more "upside" because of being a more higher end line. This means that given some sweet seperates the B+W could really sing.

As for sound differences, your own ears will tell you. I would choose the Paradigms myself since I am Canadian and so are they, meaning the canadian dollar and deals to be found make it an attractive purchase decision. Use your own ears and listen. Most of the fun of this HT addiction is the "hunt". Take your time, and have fun!

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Just noticed you're in Mass. You might consider a trip to Montreal or Moncton worth your while to search out deals I mentioned. The difference in the dollars alone will save you a good chunk. There are people that have done that here that know how to get taxes back at the border when you leave Canada.

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

B&W 600 series is pretty neutral.

Paradigm Reference are a little bright.

These are my opinions only. I prefer the B&W sound, while one of my good HT buddies prefers the sound of Paradigm. They are both excellent choices and only your ears can decide. IMO, they are both very comparable in performance and both series have matching, well performing center channels....as well as a host of other speakers to use as floor standers that will compliment the sound well with timbre matching.

There are electronics that will bring out the best in each. That will be your next step after choosing the speakers, match them up with the best front end.

Jeremy

5. WilliamJay

WilliamJay Stunt Coordinator

I plan on purchasing a new receiver, either a Denon 3802 or Integra 7.2. Would this affect anyone's decision regarding their speaker selection?

6. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

I have the 602S2, CC6S2, DM302, and Def. Tech. PF15TL for my HT. I recently made a tour of the local hifi shops to compare the overall sound of the demo theaters to my set up and I am now more pleased than ever.

I have all speaker set to small and use the sub when listening to music. At low volumes it is difficult to get a good soundstage, but turn it up and the music comes to life.

I listened to the studio 40's when was shopping for speakers and couldn't find anything wrong with them. I just prefered the sound of the B&W's

7. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

Both are great speakers. I didn't compare the 602 to the Studio 40s however I did compare the 603s to the Studio 60s. I found the B&W had a wider and deeper soundstage than the Studio 60s. On the other hand, I thought the Studio 60s had better bass extension. The 60's also seemd to have better build quality (they just felt sturdier).

The choice is yours...

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i have heard both, and both are superior to each other in different ways. compare the prices you can get and let your ears decide; this forum won't yield a definite answer (especially b/c the 'answer' is personal opinion). your ears are the masters here- do an A/B test in-store and see which you like better.