What's new

Avia or Video Essentials. Which is better?? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I think Avia has some additional features that VE doesn't. ISF calibrators use VE, though, so it certainly isn't a poor choice. I bought VE because I found a used copy for less money than I could find Avia.

Dan Cabral

Stunt Coordinator
VE was pretty good about the sound calibration on my system. I still have some tweaking to do.

I got VE because it was cheaper way back when I got it. However, I do plan on eventually suplementing my setup by getting Avia as well. It might be redundant, but I really did learn a lot from going through VE, and Avia seems more comprehensive from what I've read, so at the very least, I might learn a bit more.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) Each disc has test patterns the other does not have. There are a few reasons to own both, including the fact that some test patterns in each are "errored". I read in an article by someone who went to ISF certification that they specifically instruct you to use a particular patter on each disc as the same pattern is errored on the other.

2) Avia is much easier to navigate. VE is a port from the LD version- and so the menu structures are a little obtuse.

3) Audio tests- Avia has more patterns, but I would say each is equally useful for basic setup (AVIA has tone sweeps which VE doesn't offer, but most basic users would have no use for them). However all of AVIA's subwoofer setup tones are NOT ON THE LFE track- they are in the left channel- so you MUST have your speakers set to small to use Avia's tests. VE offers calibration tone only in LFE, with no rerouted bass tones available...

So the bottom line: they both have reasons to own them- but for basic setup, each will work identically.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
AVIA is more complete in audio and video setups/calibration. If you use front projection then AVIA is defintely the way to go and will yield more accurate results.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I agree for the most part- however VE does present several test patterns in the last section, but doesn't give instructions on how to use them.

Avia gives detailed instructions for all the basic tests- although the majority of the video patterns are like VE in that they lack any info on how to use them.

The one thing I don't like about AVIA, as a FP owner, is that the "widecreen enhanced" patterns are seemingly not flagged properly as 16x9, rather encoded as raw 4:3. For most people this won't matter (standard DVD player shows the same frame and resolution for 16:9 and 4:3 fullscreen)-- but for HTPC calibration- it makes AVIA nearly useless for aspect setup.

-V

Bruce N

Second Unit
I already own both and everyone else has covered the differences thoroughly. However, if I was buying now I would get Avia and wait for the new Digital Video Essentials. Unfortunately no one knows when it'll be out.
Bruce

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize if I try to bring this thread in a different course.

Tomorrow, my first HDTV-ready monitor (Samsung TXM2797) will be arriving to my home after I order it from a brick-and-layer store in Spokane, Washington. Which of the two calibration DVDs would be appropriate for HDTV-ready monitors: Avia or Video Essentials? I would like to get the best out of my monitor, especially the color and overscan issues.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Get the Sound & Vision disc, which is sort of a striped down version of Avia (from the same people - Ovation Software) and wait for Digital Video Essentials (sorry, I don't know when it will be out either). I have VE, and I use it for Video calibration, but I use the Audio Calibration from S&V because it has 6.1 capability and the ability to remain on the tone for a single speaker, rather than cycling from speaker to speaker on VE. Basic sub calibration is also included on S&V (vol, phase & x-over).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks