What's new

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Avatar moving off of 2019 means one thing - Disney, with their release date voodoo superstitions, will almost certainly be moving Star Wars: Episode IX from May to December, just as they did with Episode XIII. I expected they were going to do that anyway and chase Avatar out of the slot, but now they won't even have to engage in a game of chicken.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think Avatar moving off of 2019 means one thing - Disney, with their release date voodoo superstitions, will almost certainly be moving Star Wars: Episode IX from May to December, just as they did with Episode XIII. I expected they were going to do that anyway and chase Avatar out of the slot, but now they won't even have to engage in a game of chicken.

No way IX isn't going to be moving to Dec. Especially with Carrie Fisher dying.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Disney seems to be sticking with May 2018 for their next stand alone movie; no reason to think they wouldn't keep IX in May as well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
So does this kill any chance of BD/UHDs of The Abyss and True Lies until 2020?

While there hasn't been an official release date set, it was stated about six months ago that Fox had (at least) begun prepping "The Abyss" for UHD/BD --- pending approval from Cameron.

There has still been no word to my knowledge regarding "True Lies".

As we all know, neither movie has ever had a proper optical disc release. The turn-of-the-century DVD releases were both non-anamorphic; derived from the Cameron-approved laserdisc masters.

This is certainly a sad situation for a major part of Cameron's filmography.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think we're better off if these films are a completely new story set in the same world. The world of the original movie was very interesting, but the plot was nothing special.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They are making a huge gamble. I'm quite surprised how the studio got brave enough to approve this. What if the second Avatar bombs like Amazing Spiderman 2? Then what?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Here is a July 2016 article from "The Digital Bits" on "The Abyss" possibly coming to UHD/BD at some point in 2017:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/072516_0100

Ya' know, Flash visited 2024 in last night's episode; ostensibly to seek out info on Savitar. I was screaming at him to let us know how the Avatar sequels were doing and whether we ever got proper releases of "True Lives" and/or "The Abyss" on home video!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There's a new-ish transfer of The Abyss that debuted on premium cable either last year or the year before. It's only the theatrical cut, but HBO and Cinemax have both had it in OAR. If you subscribe to those channels, it's worth keeping an eye on their "on demand" sections in case it reappears. I didn't get a chance to watch the entire movie, but the few minutes I saw looked good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think we're better off if these films are a completely new story set in the same world. The world of the original movie was very interesting, but the plot was nothing special.
I'm pretty sure Sigourney Weaver is reprising her role, I haven't heard about the rest of the cast. I find it hard to believe Sigourney would be the only returning cast member.

I hope we get a true sequel, let's find out what happens after the humans leave. Do they come back even more pissed off? What happens to Jake and Neyteri?

Release the extended version in 3D!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are signed on for the sequel. Stephen Lang is also signed on, which seems ridiculous considering his character's unambiguous death.

Back when they were first talking sequels years ago, I recall reading something about Cameron wanting the second film to be an underwater story (perhaps set on a different moon in the same system) that he'd shoot in 3D and high frame rates.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are signed on for the sequel. Stephen Lang is also signed on, which seems ridiculous considering his character's unambiguous death.

Back when they were first talking sequels years ago, I recall reading something about Cameron wanting the second film to be an underwater story (perhaps set on a different moon in the same system) that he'd shoot in 3D and high frame rates.
Lang coming back doesn't make any sense, he undergoes some sort of resurrection al la Spock. I get Sigourney, because her consciousness is part of planet's god (forget the name). Lang, a little harder to understand.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If it was a prequel there would be no reason for Sam Worthington to be on-board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks