What's new

Austin Movie Nights! (1 Viewer)

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone in the group have a Panasonic PT-AX100U and/or Sanyo PLV-Z5? I plan to order one of these this month, but I am having a hard time deciding which one to get. What are the current comparable DLP projectors?

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Leroy,

If you're going for a 720P LCD, then I'd suggest the Panny, even though I haven't watched that model specifically. The reason I suggest this sight unseen is that at 720p you can still make out screen door effect easily on LCD panels from reasonable viewing distances. The Panasonic smooth screen elminates this.

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I might have gone with a DLP projector if I could have found any reviews on the current models, but it's like DLP has fallen off the face of the earth. The Sanyo and the Panasonic are pretty much the only projectors being talked about. I opted for the Panasonic. I'd like to bring it over and try it on your screen if that is ok, Jonathan. I should have it next Tuesday.

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
You know me, I'm always in. I am working Monday through Friday these days, so work will probably cooperate a little more now than it has in the past.

Jay.H

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be up for it. It's been a while since I've been in touch with the Austin HT group. Post the details here or PM me!

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be up for it. Need to be a Saturday though as I'm working Mon thru Sat these days and don't get off until 4 on Saturdays. Septembers fine.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Dang! It's been so long. How's everyone been?

Well, I just wanted to wish all of you a be-lated Xmas and a Yahoo for the new 2008. I am looking to get more active back into HT. Mid 07 just been pretty hectic for me.

So I would like to get back in the groove of things again. I recently tore-down and sold all of my HT equipment (PJ, speakers, receiver, furniture) heck even curtains. lol

I'm looking to get into a flat panel screen (no more PJ). I just need my HT room to be more then just strictly HT. So I would like to see a GTG soon and maybe get ideas / opinions / suggestions from you all.

So where's everyone at? Nils, Colin, Fredrick, DR J .......... and the rest of the gang.

Take care and cheers for 2008!!
-Mike

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still around and still in need of help to get my subwoofer box and entertainment center built. I did pick up an electric screen though, so I'm not projecting on the wall anymore and I upgraded from my old Zenith DSV-100 projector to a Panasonic PT-AX100U. Of course, as it always works, if I had waited another couple of months, I could have gotten the new PT-AX200U for the same price or less. Still the AX100U is a vast jump up from the old projector and should hold me over until I make the jump to 1080P.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Hi Leroy,

My last projector was a H31 by Optima. I was happy w/ this little DLP PJ.

I am going now for smaller (LCD or Plasma/ 42" or 50") and testing speakers.

Right now my major investment is going to be either a HSU, Elemental Design or SVS sub (no-more then $900.00) and Flat panel (no-more then $1800). From there, I'll been looking into mid-level 5.1 setup (no interested in 6.1 or 7.1, got rid of my 7-channel onkyo). Only thing I kept was my old Onix rocket center channel and rear surround Polks which I am using for 2-channel at this time w/ my little onkyo receiver.

Well folks...... anyone want to get a new fresh start on the 2008 GtG in Jan?

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm projecting on a 125" screen. I don't think I could ever go back to something smaller now.

What is this? "2008 GtG"

I bought all the stuff to build my own speakers a long time ago, but haven't gotten around to doing it. Still using some very old Optimus front tower speakers, some not quite as old optimus bookshelf speakers for surround a Merak center channel speaker and a pair of CAS 15" Subs. Almost all of my components are Sony.

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
The two subs are eventually going to be replaced by the IB sub, if I can ever get the manifold built for it.

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
i don't know how you are going to get a decent quality flat panel for that little money. The less expensive ones have either such low res or such slow response times its painful. I would encourage you to add some dough and go for 1080P and something that will be speedy for full motion HD video without a bad case of the jitters. I guess if you only go up to 42" you might be able to.

By the way.. You DO know that a 42 widescreen is like watching a 27" 4:3 set (going by height alone) with any non-widescreen format right? A 46" would be my min (36" 4:3 equivalent on viewable height).

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Humphrey said:
i don't know how you are going to get a decent quality flat panel for that little money. The less expensive ones have either such low res or such slow response times its painful. I would encourage you to add some dough and go for 1080P and something that will be speedy for full motion HD video without a bad case of the jitters. I guess if you only go up to 42" you might be able to.
By the way.. You DO know that a 42 widescreen is like watching a 27" 4:3 set (going by height alone) with any non-widescreen format right? A 46" would be my min (36" 4:3 equivalent on viewable height).
See here is why I say........... "What are you talking about" ;)

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Took your comment to heart. I just ordered a HC1500.
Elite 106" screen
Next week I am getting the VT-12 along w/ the STF-1 & STF-2 sub. :D
I was going to go w/ one SvS PB10-NSD... but.... oh let me just get out of here...
Humphrey said:

pmeyer

Agent
Real Name
Paul Meyer
Does anybody in the Austin area have a Sony vw60 or a JVC RS1 they'd be willing to let me see?
I'm in the market for one of the two real soon now (my theater is coming together).
Meyer Home Theater

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
pmeyer said:
Does anybody in the Austin area have a Sony vw60 or a JVC RS1 they'd be willing to let me see?
I'm in the market for one of the two real soon now (my theater is coming together).
Meyer Home Theater
I do. I have a JVC RS1 for about 8 months and love it. PM sent with contact info so you can call me and see the projector.
Ian B

ReneZam

Stunt Coordinator
On the same note anyone have a Mitsubishi HC4900 Projector that lives near or around San Marcos? I too am in the market for one and would like to take a look at the picture to see if i indeed want to drop the clams for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks