What's new

Austin Movie Nights! (1 Viewer)

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
I'll likely take my 900 over to jonathans Saturday afternoon. have to do some work on the car a little earlier but the rest of the day is looking ok? Do you need the Oppo as well?

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Looks like we're on for the projector at 8PM at my place. Everyone's welcome. Unfortunately, I have a hard stop at 11PM, but we'll make it quality time :)
Here's what I'd like to do.
1. Play a couple of scenes with known motion artifacts on the HTPC/InFocus
2. Repeat scenes on the HTPC/Panasonic
3. Repeat scenes with the Oppo/Infocus
4. Repeat scenes with the Oppo/Panasonic
Those four combinations should indetify where the problem lies. If the artifacts show up in all 4 tests, then it's just an artifact native to the DVD or recording process. If the artifacts disappear by switching to the Oppo/InFocus, then HTPC is the problem. If they disappear with the HTPC/Panny, then the DLP technology is the problem.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Thanks for bringing the Panny and Oppo over last night Ken. It takes a huge load off knowing that I won't have to fork out another $4-500 to switch projectors.

In short, here's what we found. We used two discs, Battlestar Galactica Season 2 Disc 2, episode "Home Pt 2", and Pirates of Carribean. In Home pt 2 there is a scene where they're inside Athena's tomb and the camera does a left to right pan across the actors' faces. In that scene, the detail on their faces breaks up and you also see what looks like a very rapid series of ghost images trailing the pan. I've seen a similar effect on older DLPs described as "motion dithering" or "temporal dithering". When we switched to the Panny and reran the scene (still using the HTPC) the effect didn't change. It was a little bit more subdued on the Panny, but I believe that had more to due with the sharper brighter image being thrown by the InFocus. Regardless, it was definitely still there on the Panny.

On Pirates of the Carribean, there is a right to left pan across a group of dock workers when Jack rides the sinking ship into the harbor in chapter 1. As the dock workers stare in disbelief, the camera pans across their faces and you see the exact same break up effects as the other disc. We repeated this scene a few times on both projectors via the HTPC and got the same results. So...good news, the problem is not in the projector! But what about the PC? Is this a case of a video card that can't keep up? Time for more tests.

We repeated the Pirates scene a few more times, this time using the Oppo over the HDMI input of each projector. The results were identical. The artifacts appeared in both projectors with same intensity just as they had with the HTPC.

So the conclusion is that the effect is actually recorded onto the DVD itself. What is the effect? Two possible things we could think of. 1) Good ol' motion blur that is inherent to 24/30 fps recordings. It's a well documented fact that 24 fps is inadequate for capturing motion precisely. It's possible that I'm just noticing it more now than before due to the fact that my InFocus is so much brighter and sharper than my Barco was. 2) It could be an mpeg artifact of some kind, where some data may be lost during the compression process.

So which is it? I dunno, but we could probably eliminate the mpeg possibility by comparing a DVD to a HD-DVD or BluRay version of the same movie. Sounds like it's time to start scheduling another meet around the time of the PS3.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Anyone familiar getting into screenings during the Austin Film Festival?
PERFUME: THE STORY OF A MURDER is running at the Paramount tomorrow (Friday) night at 10:15.
I really enjoyed the book so I was hoping if I came a little early and got in the non-pass line I might get a seat.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I haven't tried to attend any of the screenings, but from what I hear you'd better line up early. I was looking at the schedule for this year and there are some screenings I'd like to attend, but I doubt I'll have time.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Alright its time. Who's going to the CES in Vegas Jan 8- 11. I just booked a Southwest airlines package for 2 nights stay and roundtrip airfare for $300 for the 9th-11th. Its the Plaza downtown but I tend to wonder at night so I don't care. Anyone?

PS Humphrey give me a call when you get a chance.

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Where is everyone? I haven't logged in for a while.
Anyone know how to get ahold of Jay Humphrey? I'm told he has my MAME DVDs and possibly my router bit.
Anyways, if y'all moved and didn't tell me, someone send me the secret location :)
-Dave

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Paul_Laiming said:
hey guys, its been a while since ive posted or talked with any of you. glad to see the austin HT scene is still alive!!! my little baby sony crt pj is still alive and kicking but im ready for an HD upgrade. wondering if anyone in town has the sanyo z3 or panny ae700 i could check out. is there any sort of event or pj shootout coming in the near future?
-paul
Just out of curiousity do you guys not see posts like above??

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I get an email whenever anyone posts in this thread, the Austin DIY thread and/or the Austin Poker thread. I can see your post.

Jay.H

Stunt Coordinator
That post was from 05 January 2006. I might have seen it back then, but I've slept since then. ;)
Why do you ask about a post nearly a year old? Just curious.

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jay,
A while back I remember conversations in here and in person from some of the "regulars" stating that for some reason new guys either left or didn't stay around long. "The group seems to be getting smaller" they said. Well one reason I posted that and asked that question is because I have a feeling the poster probably feels like I do; you come in here and put up a post like I quoted above and you get completely ignored, you don't feel welcome so you move on. I kind of look at it like if you walk into a room and say "Hey man, haven't seen ya'll in awhile, how's everyone doing"? And when no one even bothers to acknowledge you, well you leave. I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything like that, I just wanted to point that out though as it is most likely one reason for the participation of new people being low. Just something to ponder I guess.

Sincerely,
John

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
I can't speak for everyone but it was either this or AVS that did an update back around that time to the Forum software and ALL of my bookmarks and subscribed threads disappeared. I had to go back in and set them all up again. I missed a TON of messages over 2 months because of that. I don't read the general stuff only the Austin stuff so I always wait for the email saying someone has posted something new. If he posted during that period then I missed it. He's very close to us in South austin. I wouldn't have ignored him.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hey John,

I'm a little delayed in responding to your question, we've been out of the country for the last couple of weeks. I don't know why Paul's message went unanswered; my best guess would be that he inferred in his note that he knew members of the group and everyone was probably expecting someone specific who knew him to answer his post.

As for the general problem you brought up, the Austin threads are pretty much dead now, unfortunately. Nils and Hank no longer post here due to a disagreement with the forum owners. Participation by the rest of the gang has steadily declined over the past year or so for unknown reasons. My best guess would be because all of us that were working on theaters are now pretty much done and we're busy enjoying them rather than chatting about building them. I'd love to see the threads get revived again so we could bring more new blood in, but I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe another big "Austin HT meet" is in order like we used to do? I dunno.

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,
I don't want ya'll to think I was pointing the finger at anyone in particular, was just trying to make a point. I know that I had come in here in the past and got the same treatment, more than once so I just kind of stayed away for the most part. Again, not pointing at anyone in particular, especially you two(Humphrey & Jonathan) as both you you usually respond. Anyway, enough of that.

Humphrey,
Still have your SS? How is she doing? I sold my Evo a few months ago and bought a Honda Ridgeline, just got tired of getting challenged at every stoplight. Love the Honda though! Everyone leaves me alone now.

Jonathan,
How is your wife doing? Hope all is going well. This past week I did some work in my HT, a little rearranging and hung some curtains on the front wall. Boy did those curtains help!! If you remember you told me so! Well, maybe we all do need to get together again just to have some fun or something. I hope everyone is doing good and wish you all a very happy new year!!!
Sincerely,
John

PS-Does Scott O. still post on here? He still around?

ReneZam

Stunt Coordinator
Heya guys long time no post i went to one meet a few years back and met a few of you i was the tall long haired guy with my wife Rene and Ellie from San Marcos.We ended the meet over at Johns house with some drinks and a heck of a great time.Good to see you guys are still out and about id like to stop by sometime catch up with all of you see how everyone is doing.

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
Yes, Jonathan, we need to do another Home Theater Tour or the like and finish up somewhere where it's big enough to hang out and converse some. Would love it if we could do that. I volunteer to show everyone the smallest dedicated HT in Austin (3 people maybe 6 if half of 'em snuggle on the floor) :) .
ReneZam, good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger.
John, Still have the SS, why get something else when it's paid for? :) Always wanted another motorcycle but realistically can't afford to get hurt. Every motorcyclist I know has had at least one 'off' so I'm looking at Ariel Atoms now. Saving up my pennies for one of them.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Are Atoms street legal? They don't have bumpers do they?

John, Jen is doing well, I'll tell her you said hi. Glad to hear the curtains worked out with the speakers. Dipoles can be tricky beasts. Scott is still around, but I haven't seen him post in a while, I see at him poker games with Hank every now and then.

I think another meet would be a good idea. Organizing another tour might be difficult unless we can contact more people by email and phone to build up interest. A while back Mark Hayenga was interested in doing a larger DIY speaker event and had about 50 people interested. We might be able to revive that idea, and possibly expand it to include an HT theme as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks