What's new

Audio Questions? Please Read (1 Viewer)

Mike~C

Auditioning
Id like to know how you all feel about the sound of your system?
Me not that great, on a tight budget I have this:
Sony STR-DE515
Sony SS-Sr100 50w Rears
Sony SS-Cn100 100w Center
Sony SS-u3033 100w Fronts
KLH ASW10-120 120w Sub
Sony DVP-S500D DVD Player W/5.1 Inputs
All this connected with Monster Cables, Now for onething I am confused about the fact that some of you have your sub connected to the Low level input as do I with Monster Sub and some have yours connected to the High level input, which is best? And is the point of the High level input to boost your front speakers or is there another reason?
Now the other concern is I use Avia to calibrate, and it usually sounds good until I put a good movie in and then its much too loud and I end up changing it anyway. Do people normally configure with the receivers balance,bass, ect. or with the Dvd players functions leaving the receiver alone? Well leave it at that for now...
Any help would be great, and if there are any questions let me know

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I can answer your calibration question. When you calibrate your system with AVIA or Video Essentials or internal test tones, etc., you are setting up your unit so that at 0 db, you are at reference level. Reference level would be 105db peaks at the seating position. That is VERY loud and most people don't listen that loud except maybe when demoing their systems (some do listen that loud I'm sure). Remember, the calibration is more about getting all your speakers balanced to one another than anything else. What volume you actually listen at is personal preference. When I listen to a really good action movie, I'm usually at -6 db or so, more often at -10 to -20 for regular viewing.
Hope this answers why your movie seems so loud...
Roger
------------------
System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS
Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable
Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds
Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks