What's new

Some advise Please (1 Viewer)

CRSaab95

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Sanchez
Hello everyone,

I am a little lost. I recently decided that i want to upgrade my home audio system. I currently have a Sony DAV-DZ175 5.1 out the box system. I currently am looking to replace the sub on it for the time being until i decide on what route ld like to go with the new system.

Sony DAV-DZ175 Specs but im sure they over exaggerate those numbers
167 Watt - 3 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 10% - 5 channels ( surround )
165 Watt - 3 Ohm - at 80 Hz - THD 10% - 1 channels ( subwoofer )

I picked up a Polk PSW10 sub and Mono price 10800 front and 11948 center speaker for 35 dollars.

I don't know about the mono price speakers, but Ive always been a fan of Polk and i would like to use the subwoofer in place of the Sony one. Now i just want to make sure i am correct with this. Being that the subwoofer is power through the receiver and the PSW10 is powered. I would need a high to low level converter so that i can connect it to the receiver?

As for the monoprice speakers I don't know much about them and if they are a decent speaker. I don't know if I'd be able to run them off the current receiver. As the sonys are 3 Ohm and the Monoprice are 8 Ohm.

My experience with audio is very limited. So for give me for any foolish questions.

As for the future upgrading of my home theater system. I'm torn on what direction to go. I was first looking at Bose acoustimass 10. But reviews i have read say that it is not that impressive for its price point. I am also debating on trying polk but im still looking into what speakers would be best. but I'm more concern with tuning of the system if I go with that.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It would be best to just keep using the Sony system “as is” until you decide to fully go with the planned upgrade.

As you’ve already noted, you can’t use the Polk sub with the Sony, and the Monoprice speakers are incompatible too. Using 8-ohm speakers with a 3-ohm amplifier will suck its power output down to less than half its already questionable rating. And that’s if you can overcome the problem of the Sony’s proprietary speaker-plug connections.

Good call passing on the Bose system. If you want advice on an AVR, open a new thread with your budget and you’ll probably get some good advice.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

CRSaab95

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Sanchez
I'm actually surprised when it comes to bose. I've always thought that they were top of the line when it comes to home audio. Granted I still like the sound of some of the bose system I've heard, but if i can do better might as well.

Right now I want to know what to look for and more important what speaker is suppose to produce what. I've decided to experiment with used equipment to see what would work better for my living room setup. Today I picked up an older AVR a Pioneer VSX-820-K. Which from what I've found was a budget unit in its time.

I hooked it up to the Monoprice fronts and center and the polk sub. I was impressed and disappointed all at once. I was amazed with the improved clarity and sound, but was extremely disappointed with the sub. The speakers don't necessarily over power the sub, but the sub I'm assuming has it limitations. For the most part you don't hear anything from the sub and then would just explode with sound out of no where. I'm going to assume that it lacks a decent range in frequency? I then hooked up the sony back up and yeah im disappointed again lol. While i do get more bass response the clarity is gone and it is no where near as loud as well.

So right now im going to look into another sub if that is in fact the issue that im facing right now. Plus I also need a set of rear surround speakers.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, Polk subs are pretty much bottom feeders, especially their cheaper ones. If you’re going used, Paradigm, Velodyne, SVS, or Hsu are good choices. Get something with at least a 10” woofer. Dayton Audio also makes some nice budget subs. With the tiny woofers your Monoprice speakers have, you should probably get a sub that goes as high as 200 Hz.

As far as your surrounds, another pair of the Monoprice speaker will work great. They’re only $50 a pair.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
You could try a little experiment to see if you can get better low end out of what you have.

Make sure the Low Pass is all the way up on the sub and set volume to 50%. Go in to the speaker settings on the Pioneer. What is the crossover set to? 100Hz is default on the VSX820s. I would start there.

Set all speakers to Small except the right and left fronts, set these to Large. Under the subwoofer settings, make sure it says Yes for subwoofer and select Plus. This will send bass to both the sub and the two fronts, hopefully this will even out the bad bass spot you are getting.

Let us know how it works out.

Brian

CRSaab95

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Sanchez
I actually was going to mess around with the settings, but ran into a few problems. When I first got the receiver i connected it to my tv and was not able to view the menu. After going through the manual it stated that you are not able to view when connected via HDMI. So I have pull another tv with composite inputs. Along with that I have to wait on a new remote as one was not included when I purchased it. In all honesty I didn't even think about it when I picked it up. But once I receive the remote ill set it up and report back.

CRSaab95

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Sanchez
I received the remote yesterday changed the setting from what the previous owner had. I only have the fronts and center right now and after the changes it already sounds 10 times better then the Sony setup. After the adjustments it really filled in what was missing and the sub woofer has came alive lol. Ill be setting the the rear speakers tomorrow after they are delivered. only thing is that there is some noise from the port form the sub. I found that removing a "rat screen" will greatly help with that. So at some point ill be taking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks