What's new

Attn: CPAP users. What pressure are you using? (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
In the past there have been some good discussions about sleep apnea and CPAP. I've been using my CPAP machine for some time now and it has helped. I had to get the pressure bumped up from 4 to 6. I think these machines go up to 20. I can't imagine what that is like but it must be intense!

For those using a CPAP machine, what pressure are you using?

Jeff

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am at nine...but only use my machine a few times a week. I have lost a little bit of weight, and that seems to have helped my snoring, so I have not used my machine as much, as I have been sleeping better.

I imagine a 20 would be pretty powerful...at nine I definately feel the breeze.

Sleep well :D

Devin U

Second Unit
I set up CPAPs part time for a home care company. The highest pressure Ive ever set up was 18cm. Ususaly,someone that needs more pressure, they put on bi level (bipap) ventilation, where its not uncommon to see 12/6 or 14/8.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I use mine every night. I'm overweight but my apnea problem isn't weight related. The top/rear of my palette where the duodenum is pretty constricted and that causes my OSA. I am thinking of getting the laser surgery to cure it. Apparently, in my case, it should work.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
How is a bipap machine different from cpap?

I am going in on the 26th for the somnoplasty procedure. That is where the doctor burns a couple of wounds in the back on the throat to help tighten up the loose tissue. Hopefully it'll reduce the snoring and apnea enough so I can quit using the machine eventually.

Jeff

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I am at a 15.

If any of you travel, you might want to look into the CPAP machine I recently bought.

The Puritan Bennet 420 G weighs a little over a pound, and is the size of two stacked video tapes. It is truly amazing how small and light this unit is. And it is almost completely quiet. The only noise I hear is from the Breeze mask exhaust port.

I love my new CPAP (as much as a person can love a CPAP, I guess!)

Jeff, you might want to do some research on somnoplasty. According to what my ENT said, it is not effective on apnea, only snoring. If you are having the operation to fix apnea, you might want a second opinion before you go through with it.

A Bi-pap machine senses when you are breathing out, and reduces the pressure, then increases it when you breath in, thus avoiding the pressure against exhaling.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hi Randy,

I've also heard that about somnoplasty. However my wife claims that I still snore while using the cpap so I figured it couldn't hurt to try this procedure.

Jeff

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Jeff,
Sorry about the late reply. If you are still snoring while wearing a CPAP, that might indicate that your pressure is not high enough. How long has it been since you were titrated? Has anything significant happened since then (weight gain, etc.)? Do you have any leaks in your mask, or around the seal? Has your CPAP been checked to ensure correct pressure? Snoring is a sign that something isn't right, and so doing the somnoplasty may eliminate a symptom, but not the problem.

If your airway is being held open by the air pressure, there should be no way to snore. Snoring is normally caused by a slight obstruction of the airway. You really should check with your ENT (who prescribed the CPAP) and let them know about your snoring. Possibly, you need to be retritated.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Come to think of it I do think there is some air leaking going on. I think I've gotten so used to it that I don't realize it. When the mask is fitted and the machine is on should there be any air coming out anywhere other than the mask?

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
It depends on the mask. My breeze nasal pillows have an exhaust port where air comes out. If you have leaks around the seal (the part touching your face), that is a pretty normal occurance, which can mean that the seals are wearing out, the mask isn't fitting right, or something else is wrong. How long since you've gotten a new mask?

If the leaks are elsewhere, such as the hoses, it may be time to replace those, as well. I had a pinhole leak in one hose, which was decreasing pressure.

You might call your CPAP supplier, and ask them to test your machine and hoses. Mine did it for me free of charge.

Remember, snoring is a sign that your airway obstructions are still in place. If you have somnoplasty to stop the snoring, you could still have the obstructions, and now, not know about it.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Everytime im on the After Hours main pg I always see this thread and I have to do a double-take thinking this says:

Attention CRAP users....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks