What's new

Attention Deanna Durbin fans: That Certain Age (1938), Mad About Music (1938) and Nice Girl? (1941) are coming to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I was looking on the other forum, and I saw that That Certain Age (1938), Mad About Music (1938) and Nice Girl? (1941) are coming to Blu-ray on June 29 via Universal's MOD program. Given that these were three of the nine Deanna Durbin titles that Kino had licensed (and were among the six dropped when the first three-film set bombed), and Kino's Insider confirmed all nine titles had HD transfers, I would assume the remaining three (confirmed to be Can't Help Singing (1944), Something in the Wind (1947) and For the Love of Mary (1948) ) should have a chance of being released later on via the MOD line. Considering how well the Kino releases did, these NEED to sell well if we're going to get more Deanna Durbin films beyond these!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Yeah when KL dropped them, I was sure Universal would release the films themselves, and they have . This should make collectors happy :)
Given that they all had HD transfers, as I said, it was a distinct possibility (and one I will admit to being very happy with)! But, this is also probably their last shot (as I would be surprised to see anybody else try to license these).

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Gary “Kino dropped the ball, but thankfully Universal picked it back up themselves“ O.
At that point I think we're going to have to agree to respectfully disagree, Kino didn’t drop the ball at all, they put out a really solid three disc collection, that didn't sell enough units. So, instead of running into the negative no further collections were released.

It's hard to market a youthful star from the 30s and 40s, that very few people know about. it's not like it has the name potential of a Jean Harlow who has very few releases, Greta Garbo who at this point still has very few of her films released.

The part that has me taken aback, is saying they dropped the ball; all three films contain at least a trailer and two of them have commentary. Something you're probably not going to get on the Universal mod releases, which will most assuredly be completely bare bones and only contain the film. I am fine with that, it's the film that matters. But in the waning days of what exist of physical releases being released; maybe us as consumers need to look at the overall picture as to why this gets a release, while that doesn’t.

Universal has surprised me with some of their mod releases, and also fell short. they started off great with their Don Knotts films. but failed to release The Love God, so as you see it all depends. We will just have to wait and see what happens, but at least this gives me hope.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I was looking on the other forum, and I saw that That Certain Age (1938), Mad About Music (1938) and Nice Girl? (1941) are coming to Blu-ray on June 29 via Universal's MOD program. Given that these were three of the nine Deanna Durbin titles that Kino had licensed (and were among the six dropped when the first three-film set bombed), and Kino's Insider confirmed all nine titles had HD transfers, I would assume the remaining three (confirmed to be Can't Help Singing (1944), Something in the Wind (1947) and For the Love of Mary (1948) ) should have a chance of being released later on via the MOD line. Considering how well the Kino releases did, these NEED to sell well if we're going to get more Deanna Durbin films beyond these!
What is the other forum

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The part that has me taken aback, is saying they dropped the ball...

You're thinking about my comment too deeply. By "dropping the ball" I simply mean they had originally announced and planned to release 9 films, and we only ended up with 3. That's all I meant by it. I'm not employed by Kino and don't have to worry about their bottom line. I'm simply a collector and I was really looking forward to more Durbin than what Kino gave us. So I'm happy Universal "picked up the ball" and are giving us more. That's all I meant by it.

Gary "hoping between Universal MODs and Kino picking up another 100 films from the Uni/Paramount library we might finally get some early Lamour stuff and 'Here Come the Nelsons', for starters" O.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
sorry :), words sometimes can be taken completely out of context, because a flat word is missing that inflection, so yes i understand what you mean, you were expecting the 9 films, you just didn't expect them to be Mae West.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I wonder why BP nom THREE SMART GIRLS wasn’t one of the nine titles KINO got…. Of the 1 Durbin Titles, only one of the three I wanted was / will be released. The other two I want, THREE SMART GIRLS and HIS BUTLER’S SISTER, have no mention.

OF COURSE it would be two of the three I want that won’t get released… unless Universal WILL release those two… they released THREE SMART GIRLS on DVD by itself…

but I have a friend who LOVES Deanna Durbin, so I’ll be getting all three Durbin for her.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
sorry :), words sometimes can be taken completely out of context, because a flat word is missing that inflection, so yes i understand what you mean, you were expecting the 9 films, you just didn't expect them to be Mae West.

Right, and "Ugh" to getting 9 Mae West titles instead. So not a good tradeoff in my book.

Gary "not picking up any of those - I'll use my money for the Durbins instead" O.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Considering how well the Kino releases did, these NEED to sell well if we're going to get more Deanna Durbin films beyond these!

I'm thrilled with this announcement as Deanna has always been one of my favorites. I don't want to burst any bubbles but I feel these would have to do phenomenally well to see any films put out beyond the six masters that are awaiting release. Universal is trying to mitigate their losses here as the money on HD masters/scans has already been spent and, with Kino dumping the rest, they stand to make zero return on the investment as things currently stand. There's very little risk in releasing the six remaining titles as MOD discs and will amount to SOME return on the investment but I wouldn't expect any others to follow. This is doubly disappointing since I don't really care for either SOMETHING IN THE WIND or FOR THE LOVE OF MARY (neither did Deanna, apparently) and I'll have to contend with my DVD copies of favorites like FIRST LOVE and LADY ON A TRAIN. But, as they say, half a loaf is better than none.

Also, getting lost in this really great Deanna Durbin news is that the 1936 Technicolor TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE is in the same wave of MOD discs being released on June 29th!!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'm thrilled with this announcement as Deanna has always been one of my favorites. I don't want to burst any bubbles but I feel these would have to do phenomenally well to see any films put out beyond the six masters that are awaiting release. Universal is trying to mitigate their losses here as the money on HD masters/scans has already been spent and, with Kino dumping the rest, they stand to make zero return on the investment as things currently stand. There's very little risk in releasing the six remaining titles as MOD discs and will amount to SOME return on the investment but I wouldn't expect any others to follow. This is doubly disappointing since I don't really care for either SOMETHING IN THE WIND or FOR THE LOVE OF MARY (neither did Deanna, apparently) and I'll have to contend with my DVD copies of favorites like FIRST LOVE and LADY ON A TRAIN. But, as they say, half a loaf is better than none.

Also, getting lost in this really great Deanna Durbin news is that the 1936 Technicolor TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE is in the same wave of MOD discs being released on June 29th!!
Is there a list of MOD films coming from Universal? Where can I see it?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I wonder why THREE SMART GIRLS wasn’t HD’d as it was the girl that made her a star, wasn’t it?
Timing and/or cost may be the reason. After all, it was one one of her more popular films, so it's not as likely to be in as good a shape as some of her less popular films. Also, there have been a lot of accusations thrown around that many (but certainly not ALL) of the titles Universal has licensed out (or released via MOD) have been DVD-era transfers. Not necessarily a bad thing, as some have been pretty good. But, depending on when Three Little Girls was released on DVD (and what shape the elements were in then or now), they may not have been able to do an HD transfer. To be fair, we don't know for sure that there hasn't been one created yet. There certainly wasn't one at the time that Kino licensed the others early last year (otherwise, according to Kino's Insider, it would have been included in that first set), but it may well be one that Universal has worked on since (again, I did not say that they did, just that it's a possibility). We won't really truly know unless these sell well (so, anybody that is likely to complain if we don't get more, PLEASE do NOT wait for a sale).

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
So these titles will be blu rays, but MOD, not regular blu rays? Is that correct? So this is a cost issue perhaps since Kino was planning to release them as regular blu rays, however Universal is doing it instead. Regardless, I will definitely buy them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So these titles will be blu rays, but MOD, not regular blu rays? Is that correct? So this is a cost issue perhaps since Kino was planning to release them as regular blu rays, however Universal is doing it instead. Regardless, I will definitely buy them.
Hard to say, I think, until Universal provides some detail. MOD can sometimes mean small batches of regular manufactured discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks