What's new

Attention Deanna Durbin fans: That Certain Age (1938), Mad About Music (1938) and Nice Girl? (1941) are coming to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Scott_Morris

Mostly Observing
Real Name
Scott Morris
Universal has surprised me with some of their mod releases, and also fell short. they started off great with their Don Knotts films. but failed to release The Love God, so as you see it all depends. We will just have to wait and see what happens, but at least this gives me hope.
Not to hijack the thread, but I’m glad to hear mention of the still-missing-on-blu-ray Don Knotts film, The Love God? — I sure wish Universal would finish the job and release that one, as well. I won’t hold my breath, but maybe those of us who want it will be pleasantly surprised at some point…

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I went to order Nice Girl? at Amazon yesterday, and it wasn't listed. I hope the Durbins will show up.

I'm sure they will but moviezyng usually has the Uni titles available first if you don't want to take the chance:

By the way, I JUST this past month broke down and bought NICE GIRL? on DVD because I didn't want to wait any longer (you're welcome!) I was horrified to find it's an interlaced transfer (yuck!) so I'm especially looking forward to this one since the DVD is really subpar.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Does universal MOD have a site like Warner Archive? Where can I see what they’ve released?

Not that I'm aware of, but you can sort of jerry rig one by date on moviezyng..... (I believe the MOD titles are the ones at a higher $21.43 price point but don't quote me on that)

The reason I keep bringing up moviezyng is that, according to a post on the other forum, they're owned by the same company (Allied Vaughn) who makes the MOD discs, which is why they have them listed first.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm sure they will but moviezyng usually has the Uni titles available first if you don't want to take the chance:

By the way, I JUST this past month broke down and bought NICE GIRL? on DVD because I didn't want to wait any longer (you're welcome!) I was horrified to find it's an interlaced transfer (yuck!) so I'm especially looking forward to this one since the DVD is really subpar.
The VHS release of this had the alternate ending. The MOD DVD did not. I wonder if the blu will have it. I am guessing probably not.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I wonder why BP nom THREE SMART GIRLS wasn’t one of the nine titles KINO got…. Of the 1 Durbin Titles, only one of the three I wanted was / will be released. The other two I want, THREE SMART GIRLS and HIS BUTLER’S SISTER, have no mention.

OF COURSE it would be two of the three I want that won’t get released… unless Universal WILL release those two… they released THREE SMART GIRLS on DVD by itself…

but I have a friend who LOVES Deanna Durbin, so I’ll be getting all three Durbin for her.
Simply UK still have the DVD 19 disc box set available going back to 2004. They are the successors to the defunct DDVideo they tookover. I have these in smaller sets from DDvideo label. One film had the added UK extra of Deanna singing There'll Always Be An England restored.

The two 1941 films are an exception in that It's A Date was bought by MGM for a Jane Powell remake, A Date With Judy and they did issue this on VHS in USA and I have it still. Spring Parade involved the music of Robert Stolz who spent WW2 in USA away from his home in Vienna. Long held up due to some rights issue(not Stolz I was told), I now have a copy on a DVD. Deanna gets called her real name, Edna, in MGM's short Every Sunday(1936).

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I haven’t bought a Universal MOD in a long, long time. Robert, are you saying that Amazon doesn’t carry these at all?
My impression is that Robert was just saying that Universal doesn't have any dedicated site (or Amazon shop) for their MOD releases, where we can find everything they've released that way. But Universal's MODs ARE being sold through Amazon (although pre-orders usually show up a lot closer to release date, so if you're waiting to order from Amazon, I would guess pre-orders will show up either next week or the week after at the latest).

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
At that point I think we're going to have to agree to respectfully disagree, Kino didn’t drop the ball at all, they put out a really solid three disc collection, that didn't sell enough units. So, instead of running into the negative no further collections were released.

In hindsight, they should've released them as individual titles rather than as a set. I suspect that people who weren't already fans of Durbin were reluctant to blind-buy a 3-film set. If the titles were sold individually, those folks might've been willing to give one of them a try, and if they liked it, get the others as well.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So these titles will be blu rays, but MOD, not regular blu rays? Is that correct? So this is a cost issue perhaps since Kino was planning to release them as regular blu rays, however Universal is doing it instead. Regardless, I will definitely buy them.

No, they're regular pressed (not burned) blu-rays. Just manufactured in small batches.

Mad About Music.jpg
Nice Girl.jpg
That Certain Age.jpg

Note that they all have the official Blu-ray logo at the top. Burned MOD discs aren't allowed to use that trademarked logo, and just use the phrase "Blu-ray Disc". For example:

Real Genius.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
In hindsight, they should've released them as individual titles rather than as a set. I suspect that people who weren't already fans of Durbin were reluctant to blind-buy a 3-film set. If the titles were sold individually, those folks might've been willing to give one of them a try, and if they liked it, get the others as well.
I actual bought it because it was a set, and don't really think I have ever really viewed any of her work, figured it was a starting point. and from various discussions on this forum, it's not like we are going to see a lot of those missing Shirley Temple films released on blu ray, now that the Fox wears rodent ears.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I wonder why those weren't released individually like the Mae West titles. I also wonder how Kino decides which titles to release in a set or separately. Does it depend on the actor or actress, the type of movie or what they think might sell better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks