What's new

att broadband (1 Viewer)

TinaMP

Stunt Coordinator
Just to let every one know if you do not already
Comcast now has cable boxes with optical and coaxial outputs and s-video I just picked mine up last week BIG DIFFERANCE
This is in Mass and they are limited

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I just got a letter from them too telling me Comcast is gonna be my new high speed Internet supplier and that my monthly rate is jumping from $42.95 to more than $56.95. That's a freakin' 33% increase !!! If I subscribe to their cable TV service, I can stay at $42.95. I have never wanted to call up a place and tell them to drop dead so much, with the possible exception of Sprint.

Unfortunately for me and fortunately for them, they have me by the balls. I have no other good high speed Internet services available and I'm hooked on high speed. Despite all my ranting I know I will have to shut up and shell out almost $60.00 a month. "What ever the market will bare", right? Good job Comcast.

Once again I curse Verizon for not giving me DSL as an options.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
You and I are in the same boat Howard. I got the same letter. What a ridiculous price increase!!! I've also noticed that my connection speed has been noticibly slower since Comcast took over. I think that I'm going to subsribe to their basic cable service for $5.99/mo so that I can keep my monthly fee at $45.95. I currently pay $5/mo to DirecTV for local channels so I'll simply cancel that. Hopefully by the time that "special" runs out (6 months) I'll have another option for broadband.

Mike Ward

Stunt Coordinator
there is a reason for them doing that ( I am not saying I agree with it) but the reason is if you only have the high speed internet with them that means that the cable is live in the hous and people where just hooking up to their tvs and had all the basic cable channels for free

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"my monthly rate is jumping from $42.95 to more than $56.95"

I guess it's not that bad for me then. In Toronto I can get Bell high speed for $40 a month Canadian, and I think that's expensive.

I would never pay $100 a month to surf the web, I'd stick to dialup.

Brent

Mike, that's a classic case of "not my problem". If I was stealing their cable signal I might have a different opinion, but they have ways of dealing with this anyway. In most locations, they have a locked cable box in which they can install a filter. I don't know if a filter is available to block out the entire channel range, but there are filters that block out everything above 70-something, below which is mostly nowadays stuff you have a good chance of getting OTA anyway. And as they move channels to digital, filters become unnecessary. Besides which, anyone who tells people that they are charging more because you might be stealing from them is probably going to lose a lot of business.

But, of course, that is not the reason they do it. They do it because they are a monopoly. It is unlikely in most areas that you have any equally fast alternatives, so they are basically abusing their monopoly to tell you that you might as well subscribe to all of their services as well as one 'cause it's going to cost you practically the same. And of course nowadays if you have a choice, it's between two monopolies: them or the phone company. Somehow, that choice no longer works out to "competition".

-Robert

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I've also been switched to Comcast, but have not had my rate changed, yet. Knock on wood.

My net speed is still the same @ around 1600 kbps, a little more at night. I think here they just repainted the vans, otherwise I see no difference.

I wouldn't even sweat the digital box, unless they had anamorphic.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Somebody at work mentioned that their attbi.com mail addresses will be dropped after thirty days. Can anyone confirm this?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
attbi.com email addresses will remain in effect through 2004, from what I've heard. Of course comcast will probably merge with someone else before then and we'll never actually see a "comcast.net" email address. :rolleyes:

KJP

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I got the same letter.

Internet was 39.95 and basic cable was 9.95. They are raising the rates $3.00, but since I own my own cable modem they say that I get a $3.00 discount for the next 12 months. So, essentially I have another year until my rates increase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks