Whats the best thing to feed my new plasma? (Direct TV, Dish Network, or Cable)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew*Jones, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

Nov 19, 2002
    I currently am using ATT broadband on my new plasma, and frankly, it looks terrible. I was wondering if I go with Direct TV or Dish network, will the picture look any better? Right now I am connecting to my TV via the RF in (the att box only has RF out - thats it!).

Also, is reception an issue with Direct TV/Dish? I don't want to have to constantly be adjusting my antena position just to get a clear picture.

Thanks for your input!
    Andrew Jones
  2. Adarsh Daswani

Aug 21, 1999

I have ATT Broadband here in Los Angeles on a Toshiba 42H81, and it's the same situation. The picture quality is absolutely awful. Real shame, because a friend of mine a few miles away has Comcast Digital Cable feeding a 36" XBR, and it looks awesome.

I just upgraded to digital cable, and the box lacks so much as a S-Video out (composite only) or a digital sound output (RCA only). What a waste.

My parents have the Dish Network feeding a pair of Toshiba 40H80's at home, and their picture quality is pretty impressive compared to cable. Local channels are fair, but most of the expanded channels are impressive with occasional digital artifacting, but nothing major. As long as you realize you're not watching DVD and have expectations in line with that, you'd be okay.

My friends have DirecTV, and they've had similar feelings to me with Dish. Signal has been install-and-forget -- I've never had to readjust the dish to get reception.

So, if your local cable signal blows, I'd definitely try a dish.

3. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Nov 4, 2002
    I've been a direcTV subscriber for 3 years. The quality varies greatly with the channel selected. Some are awesome and some are just OK. I tried to switch to cable a few months ago and that lasted less than one week. Quality doesn't compare.

Direct TV only has a couple of hi-def signals ( HBO/Shotime & HDNET). Dish Network is the way to go if you're looking for best selection of high-def material.
  4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

Aug 18, 2001