What's new

Hating ATT Broadband more and more. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I leave for the holidays (5 days), and return to a blinking CABLE light on cable modem, and getting no DHCP love from the ATT Broadband cable modem network. So, no high speed surfing for me from the house. I called their "help" line, and after powering everything down, waiting a couple of minutes, and powering everything back up to no avail, then the CSR offers to schedule a visit from a tech on THURSDAY! Cripes! This blows. I'm so close to ditching ATT Broadband and going with DSL.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Pat, same thing happpened to me, except I got mine working again.

Make sure you do everything in the order the tech says. Try another tech call to make sure.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
try this

start button

run

type winipcfg then hit enter

make sure your ethernet card is in the drop down menu and not something like PPP adapter

click the release all button

click the renew all button

it usually works for me

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm using Windows2000, and I can't seem to get it to release an autoconfiguration IP address from a DHCP enabled ethernet card.

My Linux box doesn't get any DHCP info from the Cable modem connection either. It may be that my cable modem itself has gone into the tank.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, can you get to your modem through a web page startup? Look for the re-initialize. Just unplugging it sometimes, isn't enough. I have found that re-init to be valuable. I would be glad to look at settings on my W2K install if you need me to. You know where to find me. ;)
Bad thing is, now I am loosing my cable modem over this ComCRAP/Excite deal! GRRRR. I can't complain to much really, I have been a beta tester for 14 months and not paid 1 nickel. Not bad, but geesh, what a way to go. :frowning:
Lex

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I'm using Windows2000, and I can't seem to get it to release an autoconfiguration IP address from a DHCP enabled ethernet card.
Power the cable modem down.

Click start, run.

Type "cmd" and hit OK.

At the prompt, enter: "ipconfig /release". You should have NO ip address now. (you can verify with "ipconfig /all | more", though it should display it to you after you release) If you still do, then something is wacky with your Win2k setup.

Next:

Power up the cable modem.

Wait a minute.

Back at the prompt, enter: "ipconfig /renew"

If their DHCP servers & your connection are working OK, I'd imagine you should have an IP address by then. Otherwise, wait for the tech...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tried it all, I'm getting no DHCP love, so I'm stuck waiting for the tech. I'm really beginning to think my cable modem unit is the culprit. Sigh...all this free time and stuck with dial-up surfing. Yuck!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wished! I did read over their FAQs, but everything leads to a site visit from their technicians.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Patrick it sounds like a bad cable modem to me.
Nothing from their Fantastic (??) Support site
Doug AT&T Broadband closed all their HSD(high speed data)call centers in the USA and moved them to Canada , ever since tech support has suffered greatly.Look in the next 2-3 months for their service to improve greatly according to my wife , an AT&T Broadband supervisor for digital phones.Changes are coming , hopefully great improvements.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Amazingly enough again, my cable modem now works with no other action from me, thus I suspect there was a problem upstream from me. I only got a 2 day credit for the outage since they prorate from the time I called in to report the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks