What's new

Ascend help, I need advice on a 5.1 setup! (1 Viewer)

Brian:Thomas

Auditioning
I am building a HT in my new home. My first buy was a SVS PB12 which I love. The room is 14x16 with a 9 1/2 ceiling. I have decided to go with an Ascend package but should I get 4 CBM 170's to go with a CMT 340 center or should I step up and buy the 340 mains. The advantage I am looking for in the 340 mains is the ability to play louder. When I called Ascend they were helpful but it came down to a coin flip in their opinion. If you own Ascends, please chime in.

My use will be 50/50 music and HT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
My room is 18x14x8.5

I have used the CBM-170's and CMT-340's as mains....currently CMT-340's.

They are all very well timbre matched......but you just can't beat the seemless front soundstage of basicly three identical speakers.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I own the 340's but have never auditioned the 170's. The 340's will play as loud and clear as your equipment will allow. Most folks who have owned both have said that the difference in price is well worth it. That includes David Fabrikant, the designer of both speakers. Go for the 340's. You will not be disappointed.

David

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your room is small enough that the 170s would probably be OK, but that doesn't mean this is the only room they will ever be in. When given a choice between the two, I would opt for the 340 in nearly every case (and especially for that much music listening). I am using a very similar setup, with 3 identical MTM speakers across the front and the equivalent of a matching 170 for surrounds, and I am very happy with it.

Brian:Thomas

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help. I will probably place an order tomorrow for the 340 mains and the 170 surrounds. More importantly, I'll let you know how things turn out. My next item will be a flat panel Plasma HDTV.

....now if I could only decide if I should order an Outlaw pre/pro combo or roll the dice and see how the new Panny all digital sa-xr50 sounds for about 80% less......

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
I have a similar sized room and have 170 mains, 340 center, and 200 surrounds. I imagine the 340 mains would be better, but in this small a room the 170s have plenty of oomf and the timbre is very well matched. just my .02

PS. Curtis- what's the status of ascend forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks