What's new

Arrival (November 11, 2016) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
More box office analysis from Deadline.
Arrival is not Gravity, and it isn’t The Martian as far as spectacle goes, rather it’s more emotionally driven at a slower pace, and with a twist. That said, Paramount marketed this movie like it was an every man tentpole......

Sounds like it is just a soap opera drama with science fiction trappings. Doesn't seem like it is something I have to see on a big screen since, from your description, it will play just as well on a TV screen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Excellent movie that looked beautiful and is well directed. This is one of Amy Adams' best performances and considering how good she is, that's saying something.

I don't know if it'll hurt the movie this weekend but the word of mouth on this mouth is going to be rough because any people wanting to see Independence Day starring Lois Lane and Hawkeye are going to be extremely disappointed. Without going into spoilers, there's elements of the movie that more or less let the audience use their brain and many people today need everything spelled out and when they don't get a detailed explanation, they'll be pissed at the movie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Let them be pissed I say. I'm just happy we're getting an intelligent sci-fi film that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator. Hopefully it will do well enough financially that we'll see more releases like it down the road.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Some I would compare it to for various reasons are 2001, Interstellar, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Arrival is not Gravity, and it isn’t The Martian as far as spectacle goes, rather it’s more emotionally driven at a slower pace, and with a twist. That said, Paramount marketed this movie like it was an every man tentpole......
Never understood the thing about the Martian, sure it had science, and Matt, but it was just an ordinary story, like Robinson Crusoe on a planet, and not even interestingly made, at least not to me. He was abandoned, he made it, wow, like.
Matt Damon in space was better in Interstellar, I thought.
Gravity, on the other hand, I REALLY liked.

Some I would compare it to for various reasons are 2001, Interstellar, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.
THAT sounds really good.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks. Maybe I will see it at the theatre if it manages to wend its way to my neck of the woods.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Never understood the thing about the Martian, sure it had science, and Matt, but it was just an ordinary story, like Robinson Crusoe on a planet, and not even interestingly made, at least not to me. He was abandoned, he made it, wow, like.
Matt Damon in space was better in Interstellar, I thought.
Gravity, on the other hand, I REALLY liked.

THAT sounds really good.
The Martian was anything but an ordinary story. Abandoned on Mars is not ordinary. Well acted, produced, great production values, almost all accurate except for the windstorm. Great movie.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I loved this film, but I thought it was way too dim. The theater I saw it in always has good light levels and the trailers were fine, so it wasn't a problem with the theater.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree it was very dim in my Dolby Cinema presentation too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Add another vote for "dim" for a standard theatrical screen. Liked the movie a lot, but it didn't seem like enough light was making it to the screen at my showing.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
This one doesn't draw me in at all. Not even a hint of interest and normally I like these kind of movies.

I'd be shocked if it even breaks even at the box office. Or even stays in the top 5 domestically for a week. I just don't see folks clamoring to see it. Especially with Dr. Strange going in ahead of them.

I think this weekend will be the death knell for Arrival. Between Fantastic Beasts, Trolls, and Dr. Strange, I don't see how Arrival can survive. I still think it will have a decent uptick when it hits DVD/Blu so there is hope for it to recoup some $$.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
CinemaScore was a "B", kind of middle of the road. Long legs usually require an "A" score.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
The Martian was anything but an ordinary story. Abandoned on Mars is not ordinary. Well acted, produced, great production values, almost all accurate except for the windstorm. Great movie.
No, but abandoned is, it was just like Castaway, and all other similar abandoned stories. The location didn't change the story, for me.
Well acted, sure, great production values, mm, decent. All I am saying is, I didn't click my buttons like hi budget sci-fi dramas with A-actors and -directors ususally do, and for me, the reason was, it felt a bit boring, because it felt like they were bored, it was Matt Damon and Ridley Scott doing what they do, but not really with their hearts in it.
Just my take, not knocking the movie or your enjoyment of it, just saying that for me, this was a renter, and there are many other movies with Matt Damon or by Ridley Scott I'd rather rewatch.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
CinemaScore was a "B", kind of middle of the road. Long legs usually require an "A" score.
I'm guessing that Arrival cost well under $100 million so while I'm not expecting it to be a huge movie, they'll probably come out OK. Take note Hollywood, if you don't make a movie that ends up costing $500 million, you might not need it to become one of the biggest grossers of all time to make some money.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I saw $47 million cited somewhere yesterday as the budgetary figure. Which still seems high for what the film was, but I guess $47 million doesn't buy what it used to!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I wonder what the marketing budget was for this since they did a fine job saturating TV with commercials for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks