What's new

Arrival (November 11, 2016) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I really have enjoyed all of Mr. Villeneuve's films so I am all in on this. This is his first trip into science fiction before he helms the Blade Runner sequel.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
This one doesn't draw me in at all. Not even a hint of interest and normally I like these kind of movies.

I'd be shocked if it even breaks even at the box office. Or even stays in the top 5 domestically for a week. I just don't see folks clamoring to see it. Especially with Dr. Strange going in ahead of them.

If it really only cost 40 or 50 mil, I'd think it almost can't help but break even or succeed, even if they drop a fair amount on ads (that we apparently have seen yet) to boost the break even number. (then again SERENITY was this cheap and somehow got trashed at box office by DOOM and other crap that came out around the same time.)

While I'm not impressed with the ship design thus far (too much like the ship at beginning of PROMETHEUS in its nondescript form), I get the idea this is a smart pic, and really hope I'm not disappointed. Would be awful to get CONTACT hype and go in expecting 2001 but instead watching a long-ish primer for 2001 instead.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm seeing TONS of ads for this on TV. Mostly been watching sports, Comedy Central, and Impractical Jokers lately.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Still sitting at 100% Fresh on RT with 71 reviews tallied. Pretty impressive.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
This persons review sums it up nicely...

Somber, melancholic and absorbing. From the dark tones on screen to the music score, this movie is mesmerizing and thought provoking but, will it be commercial? Some of the screening attendees were disappointed because, as many people do, went in with no idea of what they were about to see and expected another "space invasion" spectacular. They found it long and were disappointed.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
No.

Just commenting that what they are questioning could be spot on. Does the average viewer think this is gonna be a giant shoot 'em up space battle movie and go and then be bored and tell friends not to bother, or will the average viewer who loves big popcorn style sci-fi actually enjoy it and run and tell all their friends to go?

Seems this caters to a more niche sci-fi lover. As in the 2001 type crowd.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm sure some will be expecting a different film, but the marketing campaign has been pretty straightforward.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm about to catch the 9:45 showing. So far I'm the only person in the theater. Here's hoping for the best.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think it's gonna be a sleeper hit and more than make back its production cost. Seeing it this morning.

I think you're way off Alf but we'll see. I think the audience for smart sci fi is greater than you think.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hope you're right. :)

Even if it sinks or ends up with meh to average results, you can bet it will make it up via DVD rentals/streaming when it hits the home market later this winter or spring.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back.

I thought it was a great cerebral intelligent deliberately paced sci fi film devoid of the usual sci fi trappings. Attention is required to get the most out of its fascinating 100% science fiction story of communication on all levels.

That being said I fear Alf may be correct in his assumptions. I don't think the general public has the attention span for this kind of a film. I can just hear the words 'dull' and 'boring' being used to describe it by many. It may struggle to find its audience at the boxoffice.

It rewards those that want intelligent sci-fi without watering down its message. Amy Adams is terrific and really gives a heartfelt performance.

Technically the film is top notch with all the departments making the most out of its modest budget.

⭐⭐⭐️1//2 out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will be anxious to hear what people say. I have high hopes for it - a big film that isn't aimed at people with the attention span of a gnat.
Great film! One of the better science fiction films in many years. Amy Adams was excellent in her role.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Box office analysis from Deadline;

Paramount’s Amy Adams alien drama Arrival chalked up a notable $1.45M last night at 1,944 locations.

Comparing Arrival‘s Thursday to previous fall sci-fi movies, it inches out the $1.4M made by Gravity on its Thursday night 10PM shows; Arrival‘s began at 7PM. However, Arrival‘s stubs last night are lower than The Martian‘s $2.5M Thursday. But many aren’t currently expecting Arrival to do Gravity ($55.8M) or Martin ($54.3M) openings, rather a three-day in the vicininty of $15M. There’s 52% K-12 schools and 30% colleges off today according to ComScore, so we’ll see how Arrival pans out and whether it was frontloaded. The pic expands to 2,317 today. Matinees should see a bump today, indeed Thursday pics saw percent increases in their ticket sales over Wednesday.

Paramount keeps comping Arrival to Bridge of Spies, which made $500K on its Thursday, which is odd, because that’s a movie for older men (57% males, 86% over 25). It’s not the older demo that’s in question of showing up for Arrival, rather women are stoked by this film’s mother-daughter emotional storyline, so you have to figure that more of them will show. Per tracking, the sci-fi film is predominantly notable in first choice among males (5%) and older females over 25 (5%). Paramount acquired U.S. and China rights out of the Cannes Film Festival two years for this Denis Villeneuve movie at a record price of $20M. Pic’s production cost is an estimated $47M, financed by Lava Bear and FilmNation, the latter also handling foreign sales. Sony has several countries abroad.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Like mentioned earlier, as long as those folks who went to those 1944 locations don't go back and tell friends the movie is "too boring", thus squashing potential weekend sales, they could be ok.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Paramount keeps comping Arrival to Bridge of Spies, which made $500K on its Thursday, which is odd, because that’s a movie for older men (57% males, 86% over 25).
Over 25 is old, wtf? What does that make me at more than twice that age, ancient? Over the hill?
Sorry for OT, just a knee-jerk reaction.

Regarding the movie, it looks really promising, I like it when the pace is not MTV style, and the story can unfold at its own pace. Looking forward to this, whenever it gets here, haven't seen a date yet ...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We went to an 8pm showing of 'Arrival' last night. It wasn't as impactful (on me) as either 'Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind' or 'Interstellar'. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome film which I thoroughly enjoyed. But due to the extraordinarily strong critic reviews, I think I went in with my expectations set a little bit too high.

The Booth Bijou gives 'Arrival' 4.5 out of 5 stars. Don't leave your brains at home when you go see it.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
More box office analysis from Deadline.

However, the biggest surprise is coming from Paramount’s alien drama Arrival starring Amy Adams which is now looking at an estimated $23.4M FSS after a $9.3M Friday. This is great news for Adams as Paramount has been seriously tubthumping Arrival as her best actress bid this year. Twenty-nine percent of those who arrived at the theater to watch Arrival came because of Adams. That’s a solid drew for a headliner. A few weeks ago, rival distribution executives were rubbing their chins over the prospects of this indie title directed by Denis Villeneuve. Paramount snapped it up at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival for $20M (that includes China and domestic). Forecasts had it opening at $15M, with some projections even lower. For a film that also comes with an estimated $40M P&A spend per rivals, this is a very good start for Arrival, and the studio is hoping that its 94% certified fresh Rotten Tomatoes score carries the film to even greater multiples this holiday season. CinemaScore is a B, but given the older female appeal of this movie (48%), we could see a better than expected 2.9 multiple which typically comes with that grade. A majority of the audience at 85% was over 25. The 18-24 loved it the most with an A- CinemaScore, but they didn’t show up at 8%.

Arrival is not Gravity, and it isn’t The Martian as far as spectacle goes, rather it’s more emotionally driven at a slower pace, and with a twist. That said, Paramount marketed this movie like it was an every man tentpole......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks