What's new

Arrival (November 11, 2016) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This one wasn't even on my radar. Starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, and Forest Whitaker. Here's the first teaser:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed it does, although the ship and the landscape both bear a very strong resemblance to the opening scenes in Prometheus if you ask me.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's based on a short story by Ted Chiang called Story of Your Life and has no connection to the Charlie Sheen film, The Arrival.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Saw the first preview last night and it grabbed my attention. In addition to a new SF film on the horizon, I was intrigued to see that it is based on Ted Chiang's Story of Your Life. So to answer Malcolm's question. No, this is not a remake of the 1996 film. (see Doug beat me to the punch. :) )

I haven't read much of Chiang's work, but I do know that he has won a number of prestigious awards including the Nebula for Story of Your Life. Based on that pedigree, and the fervent hope that the adaptation doesn't muck around too much with the source literature, I am hopeful that this will be an engaging SF tale.

The director is Denis Villeneuve who has helmed some strong works including Prisoners, Enemy, and Sicario.

- Walter.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It's based on a short story by Ted Chiang called Story of Your Life and has no connection to the Charlie Sheen film, The Arrival.
Oooo, Chiang is an excellent SF writer. This just shot up on my watch list.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, I'm ready to see it. Oh yeah!

BTW, does anybody think governments have teams and facilities for when aliens arrive? I always find this concept a little humorous, but if the movies good, I get over it real quick.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Arrival opens next Friday and is currently sitting at 51 positive reviews out of 51 (100%) at Rotten Tomatoes. Things are looking good.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
This one doesn't draw me in at all. Not even a hint of interest and normally I like these kind of movies.

I'd be shocked if it even breaks even at the box office. Or even stays in the top 5 domestically for a week. I just don't see folks clamoring to see it. Especially with Dr. Strange going in ahead of them.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I love sci-fi, and I was very surprised when I saw the trailer on the ST: Beyond blu-ray. It said it was coming out this month, and I had never even heard of it before then.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The marketing for this film has been minimal, which is a bit surprising considering the critical response. I'm excited about it actually. It's been awhile since we've had a mature, intelligent sci-fi movie in the theater and Arrival looks like it fills the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks