What's new

Are Yamaha HTRs still considered "bright" (1 Viewer)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Have to replace my Yammy 2095. Wife hung a plant over it and apparently damaged beyond repair.. liquid damage, so says Yamaha Repair Service.

Anyway, before I got the 2095 I did hear allot about it's sound being "bright" I think I would agree with that although I found it acceptable. Any opinions on the latest crop of Yamaha Models having the same sound?

I WOULD like something a bit warmer sounding. I was looking at the Onkyo TXSR701. This Model can be had for 600.00 but don't know if Quality is equal to Yamaha. Also it's not listed many places. May be discontinued.

I can squeeze about 800.00 tops out of the budget. I would like to get another Yammy ( HTR 5790 ) but if it's also bright sounding I think I would look elsewhere. Also, it has allot of stuff I don't need like Zone 2 etc.

Any others out there that are good for HT and around 6 to 8 huindred?

Thanks

Daman

Second Unit
i have the htr 5790 and dont think its bright at all.. im powering an energy speaker setup. would suggest you hear it out before making your mind. im really impressed with the 5790 for one.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The brightness w/ Yamaha receivers are a thing of the past. I had/have both the 5790 and 5760 and the brightness that was once a characteristic of Yammie receivers is gone. They are neutral. What speakers are you using?

On a similar note, make sure that you don't have the mentality that bright is bad, and warm is good. I have recently found in my own system that alot of this warm/bright thing can vary depending on the speakers you use, and the acoustics of the listening area. That is why 2 different peole will in alot of cases describe the same amp as warm for the one, while the other describes the amp as bright.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I owned a Yamaha RXV-596 and 2400 and both seemed brighter than my current Denon 3805 to me. When matched with my Paradigm speakers, the Yamahas (especially the 2400) had an edge to it that caused listening fatigue. The only receiver I tried that seemed brighter to me was an Integra 7.1. Others I have tried that were less bright that the Yamahas were H/K and Marantz.

All receivers were tested in the same room, with the same material, with the same speakers in the same position.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having the same feelings as Kevin. I own the Yamaha HTR-5790, and find the sound to be great. All in all, great for the price and features. The YPAO auto-setup feature was dead on accurate in my room except for crossover frequency.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
As most of the others have indicated, I've found the newest Yamaha receivers to be quite neutral. In fact, I actually wish that the Yamaha HTR-5760 that I own was a bit brighter when it comes to using my Polk RTi speakers.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
My Speakers are Acoustic Research HO 312 They're older Models but I like them. The room is now without Carpet so that may contribute to some Brightness. Most of you say the Yammy is neutral. I asked the same Question at One Call and they said to get an HK if I like a warmer sound. Recommended the AVR7200 or AVR 630. Those are at the top of my budget though.

Anyone like the Onkyo offerings like the 701?

I still lean towards the Yamaha 5790. I like that YAPO feature. Need to check over the features. The 2095 had an external surround feature that let me play DVD audio from my JVC DVD Changer. I would like to keep that option.

Does Yamaha still require you to buy from an Authorized Dealer for Warranty?

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
John, I had the HTR-5590. Nice receiver. "Bright" is very subjective and tends to depend upon room, speakers, personal taste, etc. i traded the Yammy for a Panny SA-XR50. anyway, there are numerous on-line authorized dealers. I would not pay $7-800 for any of the aforementioned units. For example, my 5590 and now the 5790 sell at Best Buy for $800, they can be had for $4-550 and from auth. dealers.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting dizzy now. Was checking out the HK AVR7200 Seems like a hell of a unit. A bit above my Budget though. And, my original thinking was don't spend as much as you did on the Yamy but here I go again wanting more, more, more :)

Yes, the Onkyo TX-SR800 seems like a good one accrding to the review. But so do many others...

That HK though has me drooling. Od that it's not THX. Then, I don't think the Yam 5790 is either. This is going to be harder than I thought.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
The 5790 is THX certified. Not saying that it really means anything, though. There are many great receivers that aren't.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I wish I could be happy w/ a H/K receiver. They have really nice features and good quality amps. To me, they just don't have any top end at all. I can't stand that overly warm sound.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Well, actually I was looking for something that sounds "warm" My Yammy did sound "bright" to me. Maybe it's the Speakers plus no Carpet in the room.

Not sure what "top end" means. Hadn't seen any comments like that in any reviews. We shall see!

It's also much more than I probably need but seen it at One Call for 835.00 It was H/K s Flagship Receiver for 2003 so seemed like a good price.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Hmm, I've never heard HK receivers described as having no top-end, or even "warm" for that matter. My only experience with one is my current receiver and it definitely has top end, although it's not too bright. I'd actually like it a little warmer. My best friend has a THX certified Yamaha (older model) though and it seems a little "brighter" to me. Granted a lot has to do with the speakers you use... With my combo of speakers and receiver I actually find myself wanting more midrange/warmth at times, but never wanting more highs. They are always there and very crisp and clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks