What's new

Are Ti4400 cards DirectX 8.1 compatible? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all -
i just read in the latest PC World article about graphics boards that the ti4400 series cards are not directx 8.1 compatible?
i thought they were. i currently have the msi ti4400 card and i could have sworn i was running 8.1 (thought i upgraded the driver somewhere).
anyway, i'm not even sure where to check (running xp).
so, does anyone know the scoop? i'll be minutely irked if my brand new 200 dollar video card is already obsolete! :D
thx,
ted

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
It is possible that they're being very granular in their statements? It might be that it won't work with 8.1, but it works fine with 8.1a and 8.1b.
I'm just grasping at straws, mind you, but it seems to me that any video card maker that doesn't make themselves compatible with DirectX in today's Windows-dominated market either is (A) gunning for the OpenGL-based market or (B) doesn't have a clue. :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's pretty much what i was thinking john.
i'm gonna have to go home and goof around and see which version i'm using. i'd bet someone's paycheck it's 8.1 :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps they just mean the card doesn't support all the features of that version of DirectX?

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi you can do a search (directx) or look in your hard drive program files, itll say directx just click it on then youll see setup click that and all the info is on that screen.
From what I read in the article your card Doesnt support 8.1 :frowning:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Got a TI 4400, running DX 8.1 and have no problems.

Also according to Nvidias website the ti series support shows this:
Microsoft DirectX 8.X and OpenGL 1.3 Optimizations and Support
Delivers the best performance and guarantees compatibility with all current and future 3D applications and games.
Just go to Run and type dxdiag and you will get all of your system info.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Just go to Run and type dxdiag and you will get all of your system info.
man, this forum is too awesome!!!
jason - that is EXACTLY what i was looking for. you are the man! i even did a search on the xp help menu and it talked all about that diagnostic tool, but nowhere did it mention how to launch the stupid thing. :eek:
looks like i am running 8.1. it also appears that if you're running xp and you have the latest service pack installed, it automatically updates your system - at least that's what it says on the microsoft site.
so my fears are subdued...i am once again a happy camper. thanks to all! :)

Gary King

Second Unit
The GeForce4 Ti GPU (NV25) supports DirectX 8.1.

It does not support some of the optional features of DX8.1 (PS 1.4 and high order surfaces), but all required features, and PS1.0-1.3 are fully supported.

Most people don't realize that you needn't support every feature in DirectX to be DirectX n.n compatible. There are quite a few features in DirectX that no hardware supports, and several features that NV25 supports and R200 (Radeon 8500) does not.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
This sounds like they are misinterpreting the fact that there are features in 8.1 that the GeForce4 doesn't do in hardware - hardly surprising, as the step from 8.0 (designed with the new GeForce3 and 4 features in mind) to 8.1 was to also support the ATI Radeon way of doing vertex shaders. It doesn't mean that you'll be unable to run 8.1 software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks