What's new

Are there two different covers for Return of the King? (1 Viewer)

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
I personally prefer the Academy Awards version, which is why I bought that version. :)

I also got a free pack of AA batteries and a box of popcorn from Target, all for $15 so it was a pretty good buy.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Damn, I got the popcorn but forgot the batteries.

I remember it saying something about $5 off, should have realized that meant 'free'.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
I got the "Academy Awards" version at Best Buy - and a free 100% LOTR issue of EW.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
Darren,

Well, not really. I was in the US when FOTR TE first came out and so got this one there and then I wanted the other two to match this title and not have the OFLC warnings all over the boxes (OFLC = Office of Film and Literature Classification and their rating advice takes up about 1/8th of the cover :angry: )

In any case, give me correctly pitched (and not pitch corrected) sound and correct running time over a few extra lines resolution any day...

BTW, I had a look at the local mall yesterday and I could only see the clear amarays for all three titles - didn't see any of the colored covers.

Update - had a more careful look today and one store had the colored cases for ROTK but selling them at the equivalent of US$37, I don't think they will shift too many!

CK

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The back of the cover is slightly different too, to include the Oscar wins and a list of the winning categories in small type, as well as an Academy Awards copyright.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
So what bastardized hybrid did we get in Canada? [Haven't been to a video store for a few days!!:) ]

Umm, can I slip in a question, to save me going through monster LOTR threads? Are the extras on the theatrical release discs of the first two movies the same as on the EE's? Why I ask is I have those EE's, and plan to get the last, but wondering if I should pick up the theatrical release disc trilogy if I see it at a good price.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
The EE's have completely different extra's than the TE. There is no duplicate material if you (like me) buy both versions.

Now the quality of the TE extras is a different matter, they are far beneath the quality of the EE extras - mostly a collection of "fluff" entertainment TV specials. But they do have all the trailers and lots of tv-spots for each film, which is the best feature IMO.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Damn I got the first pre-Oscar cover from Amazon... I wanted the Oscar cover obviously, since I collect Best Picture winners. Not a huge deal but still a nuisance. Why did this even happen? There was plenty of time from when the new cover art appeared shortly after the 11 Oscar wins to release date...

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
my guess is that they started production on printing out covers before the oscars, and made the obvious adjustments after the oscar sweep.

i could be totally wrong, i don't really know how the dvd cover printing industry operates.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm like Paul, my copy from Amazon.com came yesterday, and it had the doofy Jeffrey Lyons quote on the bottom and the Oscar Winner sticker on the side.

Shouldn't we make it a TRIPLE-dip, considering the dual covers and the EE (in the fall)? Or perhaps a QUADRUPLE-dip, with the box set of all three theatrical versions? Then again, they may have done the same thing with the dual covers in the box set, necessitating a QUINTUPLE-dip.

Oh, the humanity! :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ahem ... (heh, heh, heh), I received the Academy Award version. Now what am I missing on the critic quote version?

Cees

Jonathan_E

Agent
I personally prefer the critic version... Matches the other two movies more, and it doesn't have an ugly oscar smacked on the front of it. I know the movie was great, but why do I have to be reminded by having the oscar take up the lower right quarter of the case? Just my opinion.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have not seen pics of the U.S. covers, but the Canadian one I got from Wal-Mart has a rather small Oscar on it...certainly doesn't ruin the cover and still pretty much matches the others in style. Didn't see any trilogy packs, but noted the previous two releases (2-disc) had gone *up* in price.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
While the front of the critic cover matches better with the other two, the back of the Oscar cover matches up better as the first two dvds talked about their Oscar noms and wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks