What's new

Are there any plasma/lcd's that have good video quality? (1 Viewer)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I am looking to purchase a new television, preferrable 32 inches or larger, but all the crt's that size weigh more than some of my ex girlfriends. Also, they take up more space than a refridgerator. Are there any plasma or lcd screens that have black levels comparable to crt or rear projection screens? I would like to do some of my viewing with the lights on, and I would also like to have the convenience of a flas screen (less space, less energy, less weight). I have been looking at some tv's in the $6k-7K range, like the new Sony Wega plasma and some of the panasonic offerings, but reviews for these sets never really compare them to regular CRT's or rear projections.

Harly

Auditioning
Hi,

I have a 42" Sony PFM42B1 plasma monitor with a Sony STR555ES receiver, Sony S9000 DVD, with 5 NHT speakers. The plasma monitor is only 66lbs and is mounted on a wall.
A plasma monitor can cost you between $5 - $15K depending on brand and size.

Other considerations:
1. You will need a good A/V receiver, DVD, and speakers.
This equipment will cost additional $2 - $6k
2. You will need a satellite dish and a HDTV receiver to
receive digital broadcasts. Another $1k
3. If you have a cable connection (Cablevision)you can use
a super VCR as a tuner to receive analog broadcasts.
In my area Cablevision is not converted to digital.)
Another $.3k

If you are not into playing around with all this A/V equipment a good alternative is the Sharp LC-30HV2U a 30" LCD TV. What a picture!! Recently introduced - selling for
$5.5k.

Go to plasmatvbuyingguide.com to get tips, reveiws, and buying guide for plasma monitors.

Hope I did not confuse you.

Harly

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Thanks alot guys. REally looking forward to auditioning some plasmas/lcds. As for my equipment list, here are items that will hopefully round out my home theater/music setup
A/V:
Lexicon DC2 or Outlaw 950
Panasonic RP91 or Sony NS900v
Sony CDP-Cx90es
Optimum Digital Cable
Panasonic Laserdisc Player (only for Star Wars trilogy and older Criterion Collection LD's)
Sony S-VHS VCR
Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp
Outlaw 750 or Mcintosh 7160

Music Only:
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 with NOS Mullards
VPI HW19 Mk III
Sony CDP-X5000
Sony SCD-1
Trichord Dino Phono Pre
Mcintosh 2205

Speakers:
B&W Nautilus 801 Mains
B&W CDM7 Rear
Audax Center Channel
Blueroom Minipods Back Surround
SVS 20-39 cs powered by 500 watt AR500 sub amplifier

Cables:
3 pair Homegrown Audio Silver Lace 1.5m
4 pair Homegrown Audio Super Silver 1m
2 pair Homegrown Audio Silver Lace 2m XLR
2 Acoustic REsearch Toslink Digital Cable
2 Acoustic Research Coaxial Digital Cable
2 pair MIT Terminator II 2m

TV:
Sony Wega 27" (now you seen the rub)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
The Toshiva 40/42" sets have a very small footprint and don't weigh a whole lot. They might weigh a bit more than a girlfriend, but... they're still pretty lighweight. :)
Plasma looks better than LCD for video quality, imo. Is a front projector out of the question for you?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
The only problem with a front projector is that every unit that I have seen, even the jumbo, $15000 professional units, are poor at best in lighted viewing situations. I tend to do most of my viewing while the lights are on, so I do not want to have to get a seperate RPTV or CRT to compliment the projector. Also, my viewing room is on the second floor, so dragging a 150 Ibs CRT or a 200 Ibs RPTV is really not that high on my list. Thanks for the advice on the toshibas, I will look into them As of right now I am looking at a couple of Pannys and some NEC's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks