What's new

Are Monster Cables worth it? (1 Viewer)

Seam Dempsy

Stunt Coordinator
I want to get component cables for my PS2 and DVD player and I saw these but wasnt sure if they would be worth the $40 just to be hooked up to a "27 WEGA flatscreen. Or are they worht it no matter what you hook it up to?

thanks

Steve_Baimo

Auditioning
No, but buy quality cables of some sort. I find that particular brand is overpriced for what you get

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The price doesn't really have a bearing. LOL. Monster cables canbe overpriced. Solid Fusion cables from radio shack are very well built, and not too expensive. You should pick up something like those, or if you want to save some $$, the older gold series is decent enough for most situations.

Rick Jones

Grip
Yah they may be overpriced but if you want no worry cables that work and want to squeeze that little bit more out of your setup i would go with them. I just got new cables for everything and went with Monster for all my cables. Cost me about $500 verus spending maybe half that for some cheapo looking radio shack cables. I think it's money well spent. Though that's me, since i want the peace of mind knowing if something in my setup doesn't perform well i know it's the eqpuiment not the cables i buy.

On another note i think alot of ppl "bash" them b/c as so called Audio and Videophiles people don't like to buy mass market stuff like Monster b/c it makes them look too much like average joe consumer. Oh well buy what you think is best not what the internet or a salesman tells you. Your the one stuck with it.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Let's break this apart a bit:

PS2: Now I have an XBox, but in looking at the cheap $20 cables even for the "HD" pack from Microsoft, I could not stand it. (Thick ribbon cables, no shielding, cheap plastic RCA plugs, plastic break-out box). So I bought the Monster cables for the game system.

I usually shy away from Monster, but everything I know about cables says they made the only decent cables for the XBox. So I bought them.

Standard video vs HD: Some good, budget brands of component cables are:

Radio Shack MegaCable
Radio Shack Fusion
AR Pro2 cables

Many people have bought/used them with little problems. They run about $29-$49 per set.

The best value in component cables that are truly HD capable are from the various custom-cable web sites. Prices start at about $30-$40 for a 3-foot cable. (Yes, about the same price as inexpensive store-bought cables). But these cables will rival the higher-end Monster cables that start at about $220.

Here is what to look for:

- Canare RCA Plugs: these are a must-have
- Canare or Belden coax: You will see model numbers like 1694A, 7710A, V3-5CFB, L-5CFB - all are HD compatible coax.

These cables are a bit of over-kill for your DVD player and 27" television. You WONT see any difference between the custom cable and the store-bought cable. But for a few $ more you now have a cable that will work with a HD video source.

And ... all at a lot cheaper price than Monster.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I just use Acoustic Research for my video and sub, that you can get from Best Buy and 16 gage bare wires from Home Depot for my speakers.

They work great. I wouldn't change my speakers' cables and on the video side, I can't see any difference from Monsters to AR.

Maybe eventually, I will replace them, but so far so good.

I think its just a matter of peace of mind.

Martin G

Second Unit
Monster cable is a high quality cable, there is very little question about that, however they are still overpriced for the quality that you get.
If you have to buy locally then monster cables will give you very good results.
Just remember that the $50-$100 you spend on that monster cable can get you more cable of equal or better quality online.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I have an Xbox also, but I did not buy the monster cables. I purchased the MS Hookup. I only wanted the box, then I replace the cables with better quality cables.

Max Baker

Agent
Seam,

I have some Monster Cables for the PS2 in the Hardware for sale/trade section of the forum. You may have to look back a couple weeks, but I still have them if you are interested and decide to go that route. I can send you pics if you like.

Let me know,

Max

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Also check your local dealers for brands like Tara Labs, AudioQuest, AlphaCore. The AudioQuest site has some interesting reading on cables.

Generally, 'Monster' cables are nothing that special. They built a name many moons ago and continue to ride it, even though cable technology has come along in leaps and bounds.

Keith M.

Second Unit
Jeff:

Not to be rude, but please explain how/why you think cable tech has ..."come along in leaps and bounds".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks