What's new

Are "jaggies" from the progressive chip or the transfer ? (1 Viewer)

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I was watching Rules of Engagement last night(I picked it up at BB for 12 bucks) The transfer was terrible and whenever I paused, all horizontal lines were jagged. I have never experienced this before and was wondering if my tv was al of a sudden out of whack? I am viewing on a Sony 51hw40 and using cinemootion. Any help would be good. was it just a bad transfer??

-B

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What DVD player are you using? Is it a progressive, or are you viewing interlaced through your TV's line doubler?

DVD players usually have a selectable "Pause" mode in the setup menu - either field, frame, or auto. Normally auto works fine on most discs but if you have problems try switching to field or frame and see if the problem goes away. It seems like the player maybe be using "frame" and selecting the wrong fields for the paused frame, creating the jaggies (on an interlaced set, you'd see the picture wiggle back and forth, like when you pause a VCR).

KJP

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that Rules of Engagement is one of those fairly rare discs that aren't flagged correctly for 3:2 pulldown. When I watch it on my JVC progressive player, it won't stay in Film mode (when set to Smart or Auto) and looks fairly poor for such a new film. When I force the DVD player into Film mode, the disc looks fantastic, just like a new transfer should. Actually, after watching it this way a few times, I've always considered it one of the better transfers in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks