What's new

Are any Harold Lloyd films on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Harold Lloyd Estate is preparing them for 2003, I think.

They should be quite splendid. TCM screened the restored versions of Safety Last, Speedy, Hot Water, The Freshman, and Girl Shy and they look wonderful.

Even better, they have extremely good musical scores. Safety Last was scored by Carl Davis.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I need to get better at monthly check-ins with TCM so I don't miss stuff like this. Seems like they always play something I want to see when I'm not watching (and I won't be buying a Tivo so save your breath ;) ).
Anyway, I would certainly be interested in some DVD form of these based on rep alone. I've bought many silents sight unseen (General, Potemkin, Joan of Arc, Last Dance) and it's worked out well so far. :)

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Patrick,
I don't recall seeing The Freshman on TCM (hope I didn't miss it somehow!)--although they have shown The Sin of Harold Diddlebock, which contains a sizable chunk of the football game from the earlier film.
Their mini-fest from a few months was made up of the other four you mentioned plus The Kid Brother, which I felt was the best of the five.
I agree though, all looked wonderful and I'd love to see them all out in a nice Keaton-style box set that includes as many of his shorts as possible as well as the Brownlow/Gill documentary, Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius.
Evan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All of the Thames-produced Gill-Brownlow documentaries are now with Pearson/Freemantle Media.

This also includes Hollywood, Unknown Chaplin, and Buster Keaton: A Hard Act To Follow.

So far, it doesn't look like they're very interested in Thames material.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
If you're desperate to see some Harold Lloyd on
DVD, he does have one short on the DVD of
The Cat and The Canary
titled "Haunted Spooks"

It's pretty cute. A near-sucidial over past love
Harold marries a girl who has to stay in a creepy
house to gain her inheritance...much like the plot
of the main film on DVD.
Fun.
:)
Mark

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
During the film festival on TCM they mentioned that they were planning on releasing his movies to DVD early in 2003. They're also supposed to have a larger Harold Lloyd festival in the spring (I thought they said in March), which is supposed to show 19(?) of his films. I'm hoping they include some of his shorts when they finally start putting out the DVD's. In the meantime, I highly recommend the book Harold Lloyd: Master Comedian. I read it a few weeks ago, and it's fantastic. It's full of some great information, but the pictures are truly astounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks