What's new

Are Amazon and Kino Feuding? (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Don't know about Amazon and Kino but during the last 12 months, Amazon has pretty much failed to get hold of limited edition sets from Arrow Video, Severin and Second Sight. They do not appear for preorder, on release date Amazon claims they are "temporarily out of stock" and then, after a few weeks of dithering, they appear on Amazon marketplace, at a substantial mark-up from the retail price. So now I order directly from the companies concerned. No fuss. Many of the limited edition sets are in stock at the original companies, but Amazon simply doesn't bother to get them. A shame, as Amazon's prices are usually the best and they offer inexpensive courier shipping - invaluable in these pandemic times, when things in the post can take months to arrive. Unfortunately, Kino does not ship outside the USA and Canada.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I got the same notification. This was supposed to be a surprise birthday present for someone this weekend. I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered it from Kino instead.
I went ahead and cancelled my order, and used the promo credit they gave me for something else. No more ordering in advance with Amazon for me.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Amazon has pretty much failed to get hold of limited edition sets from Arrow Video,
Kevin, that's certainly strange. I'm in Canada, and I was able to pre-order the new Arrow LE 2 disc Blu-ray set of Major Dundee from Amazon Canada, which shipped to me a few days before street date.

WAC, Shout/Scream, Mill Creek and Criterion new releases (recently got Pickup on South Street) continue to be readily available directly from Amazon Canada with Prime shipping.

But getting the new KL releases are the problem here as well, and a recent development for the most part. July KL releases have shown up on Amazon.ca as only available from marketplace dealers.

I just received my KL 'June Swoon' sale shipment this week (and in Canada have to pay shipping regardless of order amount with KL), but for the recent releases, I just sent them another order for Unconquered, Alias Jesse James, Shenandoah and the 633 Squadron/Mosquito Squadron double feature. Shipping to Canada (UPS) was $15.75, not excessive IMO. I'm actually glad that I can perhaps more directly support all the fine work that Kino-Lorber are doing for we fans.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...But getting the new KL releases are the problem here as well, and a recent development for the most part. July KL releases have shown up on Amazon.ca as only available from marketplace dealers...
In Canada, you can order Kino discs from Unobstructed View, which is their Canadian distributor.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Add me as another one who recommends Bull Moose to pre-order Kino titles. I have given up on Amazon due to terrible packaging. Kino Lorber are also a great place to pre-order from and one has to have a problem if they can not find $50 when ordering direct from Kino. My problem is trying to narrow my orders down since I could spend hundreds of dollars if you allowed me.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Another advantage to ordering directly from Kino is that if you put something in your cart that you have already bought from them, there will be a reminder of when you bought the title. That feature has saved me from re-buying several titles. And I've always gotten super fast delivery.

Now, what I HEARD was "My name is Suzanne and I buy so many movies I can't be expected to keep up with what I have and what I don't, please help me!" :lol:

(by the way, Amazon does the same thing and I MAY or MAY NOT have taken advantage of that helpful little hint myself.)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here, I cancelled with Amazon and ordered directly from Kino with several other discs to receive free shipping. Order is already being processed. Sorry Amazon.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yep, my "Immensee & Opfergang" are nowhere in sight from Amazon. ETA August-September!

Apparently there's a run on Kristina Soederbaum films.

They look good, very good. It's funny to me that IMMENSEE gets top billing on disc because I've always found it a little overblown and melodramatic. I think OPFERGANG is thematically and visually a much better movie and looks great on blu-ray. It's the first time I'm seeing either one without 4% PAL speedup and Kristina's a much better actress with a correctly pitched voice!

Kino currently has the disc back up to $17.97, but it was $15 and some change when I ordered it the other day.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Kevin, that's certainly strange. I'm in Canada, and I was able to pre-order the new Arrow LE 2 disc Blu-ray set of Major Dundee from Amazon Canada, which shipped to me a few days before street date.
Yes - it's probably more of a problem with Amazon UK. They were unable to supply Major Dundee, the 4K Battle Royale, the 4K Donnie Darko and the 4K Basic Instinct, just to name a few from recent months.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think it’s more of a supply issue, with the few replication facilities that are left unable to keep up, because there have also been quite a few delayed street dates as well.
Nearly every studio has been experiencing replication issues across the board. Most customers who pre-ordered Indiana Jones 4-Film Collection on UHD did not receive their copy until the week after street date, regardless of the retailer. Many are experiencing the same on other new titles.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
They look good, very good. It's funny to me that IMMENSEE gets top billing on disc because I've always found it a little overblown and melodramatic. I think OPFERGANG is thematically and visually a much better movie and looks great on blu-ray. It's the first time I'm seeing either one without 4% PAL speedup and Kristina's a much better actress with a correctly pitched voice!

Kino currently has the disc back up to $17.97, but it was $15 and some change when I ordered it the other day.
This is a double-dip for me; I have the imports from Germany on blu-ray. But I was hoping to show them to some English-speaking friends that they might soak up the so-named "Reichswasserleiche."

I'm with ya, Will...Opfergang is a remarkable film, Immensee is less so.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Did anyone's Kino orders end up shipping from Amazon? I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my Kino pre-orders for this month and order them at Bull Moose instead. They are still show no delivery date.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I noticed another Amazon preorder I had made has been pushed back in "estimated delivery" so missed another release day. This is a Warner Archive title One Crazy Summer which now is pushed out to end of August to mid September according to them and I think shows on their site available in 2 to 4 months. Obviously, there are several things at play there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks