What's new

Arcam DV88 (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Has anyone seen this DVD player? How is its audio and video performance? How does it compare to the Sony DVP-NS900?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Haris, I have not used the Arcam player, but it is well regarded. I've read good reviews in the British magazines. It's gotten particularly high marks on the audio side, which is the downfall of many a DVD player. It would not surprise of the Arcam beat the Sony as a CD player based on what I have read, but I have only read about Arcam. By the way, the Arcam DV-27 is considered even better than the '88.

A few months back, I recall your asking about the 'S9000ES vs. the 'NS900V. Did you buy the 'NS900V? If so, are you happy with it?

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
KeithH, no I haven't purchased any DVD player yet as I am building my home theater from scratch and I am getting the parts over time.

Anyway, thanks for the input on the Arcam DV88. And yes, I know about the DV27 but it seems it is too expensive.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Thanks KeithH.

By the way, how do you think the Arcam DV88 compares to the Philips 962SA/963SA? Which do you think offers better video and audio quality?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I had an Arcam DV88 for nearly three months, but eventually returned it. Picture quality was excellent, very detailed with excellent colour reproduction (although it does have the chroma bug); sound quality was also excellent, and probably the best I've heard from a DVD player. Being able to manually change regions using the remote control was great, as was the knowledge that I could upgrade to progressive scan and DVD-Audio playback.

I was no fan of the remote control, though, as all buttons were exactly the same size, making it difficult to use in the dark. However, the main reason I returned the player was a string of minor operational problems. For example, while playing the remake of Planet of the Apes the player would often refuse to stop, pause, fast forward or rewind. It also refuses to stop on any menu screen, which was real nightmare with some discs (especially navigation intensive discs such as T2:UE). I also suffered from constant audio dropouts from DTS soundtracks (it seems to be a known compatibility problem with Yamaha equipment, and despite five firmware upgrades since Arcam were alerted to the problem, it has yet to be rectified).

I am currently awaiting the arrival of a Sony DVP-NS900V, which seems to be an excellent all-round performer for considerably less than the Arcam. Although until I've actually spent some time with it I won't be able to make any sort of meaningful comparison.

Adam

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

I'd be curious to hear what you think of the Sony versus the Arcam (though you won't have both for a side-by-side comparison). Your opinion of the CD performance of the Arcam player match the reviews I read in British magazines last year. Arcam apparently did an excellent on the audio side.

The QC problems you observed with the Arcam player are most disturbing. I had never heard about those issues.

By the way, has Arcam offered progressive-scan and DVD-Audio upgrades for the DV-88 yet? I haven't heard anything.

Haris,

I have no idea how the Arcam player will compare to the forthcoming Philips models. The Philips players could be better on the video side since they are newer models. It wouldn't surprise me if the Arcam were better with audio. Just beware of the QC issues that Adam mentioned above with the Arcam player.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Thank you both for your replies. :)
It seems that the Arcam DV88's audio performance/quality is truely outstanding. :)
But I wonder how the Philips DVD963SA compares to the Arcam DV88. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks