What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023) (1 Viewer)

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
This film has been delayed a year, had three sets of reshoots, has apparently cut all footage of Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton, and has a co-star involved in a scandal, and now the director is in hospital. During its production, the studio changed hands and appointed a new creative head of the division who has decided to reboot the whole DC film universe and the last three hangovers of the old universe have flopped.

It’s safe to say that it hasn’t had the easiest of productions.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Ah, OK. That makes a little more sense. But still, this just seems like a typical gangster story - nothing to indicate this is the DC Universe. At least give him an umbrella.
He has an umbrella in The Batman. And the movie is not part of the DCU. Neither is Joker

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed the first Aquaman. Up until Avatar 2, I thought it had the most impressive VFX I had seen in a movie.
Both also had good 3D. DCEU movies didn't start bombing until they dropped 3D, unlike Marvel. Makes it appear they are lesser films than MCU and that the studio has zero faith in the movies. If Aquaman 2 isnt in 3D, ill bet it bombs too. If it is...50/50.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, studios routinely spend hundreds of thousands of dollars all the way to millions of dollars to create movie trailers.

They also spend significant sums paying theaters to pay their specific trailers in front of other films.

I believe it - I honestly had no idea what the economics were.

Still have to imagine the $$$ involved for trailers are pretty insubstantial in the bigger picture.

Anyway, I also don't think the lack of a trailer 3.5 months prior to release automatically = "terrible flop movie".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anyway, I also don't think the lack of a trailer 3.5 months prior to release automatically = "terrible flop movie".

Agreed. The film was undergoing scheduled reshoots - a normal part of the production process for films of this size - when the writers strike and then actors strike began. If they haven’t had anything to show yet, it may simply be that the strikes prevented the studio from completing the reshoots needed to finish the film, or they may be trying to edit it to see if they have enough.

I think if it was a foregone conclusion that the film was unsalvageable and beyond terrible, they’d hurry up and release it just to get it off their books.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
He has an umbrella in The Batman. And the movie is not part of the DCU. Neither is Joker

"Joker" and "The Batman" aren't part of the DCEU but they're still part of the "DC universe" - ie, they're both properties based on DC characters.

Same as the way the various "Fantastic Four" films are part of the Marvel universe but not the MCU.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Trailer in 4 days. Teaser advertisement tonight on Sunday Night Football promoting the trailer release.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
"Joker" and "The Batman" aren't part of the DCEU but they're still part of the "DC universe" - ie, they're both properties based on DC characters.

Same as the way the various "Fantastic Four" films are part of the Marvel universe but not the MCU.
True. But DCEU has officially been replaced by DCU. And while they are DC properties, the are not part of the ongoing DCU that Gunn is shepherding. They are ElseWorlds stories.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Subscriber Cover

F85RjEqW8AAKQSj

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks