What's new

Apple spring 2019 event (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that event will be product free, other than services/software for News & TV.

That said- I am excited about new AirPods if the old water resistance rumor is true. Currently they are as liable as the wired EarPods for damage from being worn after swims aTV he beach.

Will probably be disappointed by new MacPro - it may be an amazing machine, but the chances of 50+TB of internal HD storage, (or offering Apple branded, quiet external storage) which my cheese grater 2009 MacPro offers are minuscule.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If all the rumors are right I don't think they can get away without doing product. Obviously some things can be done with a one slide quick mention but there is just too much on the plate to make this the streaming service only.

Two events or one epic one, but no way we get through spring without new toys.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shouldn't there be at least an iPad refresh? I'm in the market for a new iPad. My 88 year old mother is insisting on something to browse with (they have a Mac, but she refuses to use it, plus my father spends every waking moment using it to troll political sites and email his friends about those damn liberals) so I figure I'll get a new one and give mine to her. It's been a year since the last basic iPad was introduced, and they seem to be on a steady once-a-year schedule. No Pro or anything fancy for me. Just for browsing and using some apps.

Anyone?

Or, I guess I can just wait until the 25th.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We’re expecting a $329 iPad refresh, though it might be a press release separate from an event presumably announcing new subscription services.

Rumors have been going on about a new iPad mini. Maybe that fits with this event and is announced.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Last week both DirecTV Now and Netflix announced price increases. I responded by cancelling both services.

I also cancelled my subscriptions to the NY Times and Washington Post.

That gives me about $70/mo to use toward Apple's new streaming/media service(s). Not that I want to spend ALL of that on Apple's new service(s).

Frankly, I hope Apple's new service is SO successful that all of the existing streaming services find themselves desperate for customers. They've become too self-assured. They need to think twice before raising prices.

We dumped cable TV 3 years ago. The two antennas on our roof combined with a Channel Master DVR+ is all we need to get OUTSTANDING image quality from all of our local stations. Right now, our other options are Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. If Hulu raises its prices I'll be tempted to cancel it too. However, currently, Hulu is by far the streaming service we use most (almost every day).

Maybe I should just spend more time watching the 1,500 (or so) movies I own on HD DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray!

Mark

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Amusing to see Apple calling their TV service "Apple +"

I don't really see any point in subscribing to the service having seen what they are offering.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
How utterly pathetic that Apple TV+ won’t be coming until Fall. How utterly pathetic that it takes Apple 10 years to announce its own streaming opportunity and it makes the announcement months before the service is even available and without explaining costs and options. Pathetic!

Mark

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Why do I get the vibe that Apple is slowly becoming less and less relevant these days? iPhone's are almost passe and not nearly as "must have as say 10 years ago, they are way behind in the streaming world. I hear folks complain they Apple has almost abandoned their computers. Tablet market seems over saturated now and I can't see how Apple can ask the crazy prices they ask for both phones and tablets.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Watching Screenjunkie's coverage of the event. Looks like a lot of heavy shows. No just fun shows.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the Fall availability made sense when I heard that. Because that’s the traditional start of the new TV season. Of course for streaming, that’s no longer relevant. So my guess is Spielberg and Oprah and Reese and the others is still either developing their content or starting production. Cost information would have been good to know for Apple TV+.

I’m glad I waited buying a TV. My next TV will have Apple TV in it if I understood the announcement.

I’ll have to learn more about the news subscription service. The magazines looked nice.

The Apple Pay card looks interesting too.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
My only interest in Apple TV Plus is that hopefully the Amazing Stories reboot will prompt Universal Pictures Home Entertainment to finally release the complete second season of the original series on DVD.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
My only interest in Apple TV Plus is that hopefully the Amazing Stories reboot will prompt Universal Pictures Home Entertainment to finally release the complete second season of the original series on DVD.

I think that this will be a turning point in that it's made for streaming and I really doubt they would want to invest in the costs of pressing and distributing discs to the few stores that carry discs now. Seems counterproductive.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I think that this will be a turning point in that it's made for streaming and I really doubt they would want to invest in the costs of pressing and distributing discs to the few stores that carry discs now. Seems counterproductive.

Thank you for your opinion, Johnny; your advocacy for streaming is quite well-documented on HTF. I don't think it is at all unreasonable to speculate that Universal might actually release season 2 of the original series considering that they reissued season 1 on DVD on March 13, 2018 (it was originally released on July 18, 2006). If there is money to be made from the consumers that bought season 1, I don't think it's counterproductive for them to release season 2. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks