What's new

Apple Media Event 9/12: Announcements and Discussion (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Steven Simon said:
Staying with my Galaxy3... My Home Screen button was broken on my iPhone 4.0, so I needed to quickly get a new Smart Phone... If the iPhone was was revolutiuoanry I would have exchanged the Galaxy for the iPhone 5...
Just seems like nothing new ad special... I'm tired of the IOS never changing... It's boring...
A home button repair is a cheap fix. Hardly a reason to get a new phone unless you are sick of iOS as you say.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr /t/323644/apple-media-event-9-12-announcements-and-discussion/90#post_3974372
They're not. We have over 400. If they were letting business place pre-orders prior to that, our reps would have let us know.

Talk to your rep. We turned in 3 today with our rep, and she took them just fine. Maybe not through the web. For all I know she may be holding them on a tablet and putting them in later, but she had no problem picking up the phone from us and telling us she'd book 3.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I see, I don't work with any AT&T reps. I'm just me and I'm a self employed gun for hire. And I bought my iPhone 4 from the Apple store. So I'll hope that Apple has braced up their servers so they won't melt down again this Friday! :). Or it's perhaps not Apple's fault, but At&T who melted down. We'll see.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Craig S said:
"no new features in iOS"?? I guess you did blank on WWDC - Apple covered the new OS there, and spent very little time on it today. See some of the new stuff here.
Black bars: I think you misunderstood Ars. In vertical orientation, the bars will be top & bottom as you mentioned. In horizontal orientation, they will be on the side. So maybe that's where the confusion lies. 
Don't think you need to buy a new car. A $30 adapter, yes. Unless there's something proprietary about your car I don't know about.
Who's Oscar?? A Kindle Glow?? What?? :laugh:  Seriously, I understand the lack of excitement. The Honan piece I linked to addresses that. For me, the iPhone 5 while not revolutionary offers quite a bit over the 4: LTE, twice as much memory, much faster, much better camera. These are all things I can use. Not to mention now I'll be able to mess with Siri's mind. ;)   YMMV.
Re: new Nano. Are you telling me Bluetooth devices are banned at your job? Why? Can't you just leave the BT turned off?
Me type iPad. No see videos in HTF. Make weird typos :)
I mostly work in a site that bans all wireless technology and cameras. Which means I keep using a four year old iPod. And hope the battery lasts.
The iPhone 5 looks good. Faster A6 will make things zippy; iPhone 4 with ios5 has some real halts and stutters. But, I'm sad to say, there's no thrill to the announcement for me. Particularly, what's the software that makes the taller screen seem both necessary and better then the current screens, and also better than wider Screens on other phones. I've not watched the apple videos yet, maybe it's there. But in my little reading, theres no indication of demoing killers built for the screen. It feels like, this is weirdly taller because,....umm...Android...so here's hoping.
And yeah, the Kindle Glow :) as I expected seeing the very appealing Nook Glow this Spring.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/09/iphone_5_dock_connector_the_one_incredibly_irksome_feature_that_will_leave_you_cursing_apple_.html

All over the Web, churls and haters are claiming that Apple didn’t unveil anything really innovative or surprising at the company’s iPhone launch event in San Francisco today. That’s just not true. For one thing, it’s the first iPhone to be called the iPhone 5. Indeed, this is the first iPhone whose name includes a number greater than 4. Tell me that’s not progress.

But I don’t think that defense applies with the dock. In this case, Apple is just moving from one closed, proprietary standard to another, causing endless hassles and minimal benefits for users. If Apple really believed that the old dock was too big for its newer devices, it should have replaced them, once and for all, with the tech industry’s standard way to connect stuff: USB. That connection system comes in various sizes, including one (micro-USB) that is found on almost every non-Apple phone in the world.

Tend to agree. Actually, if they were going to change, I was hopeful we'd get USB3.0 support or similar.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stuff that doesn't work is technology. Everything else is furniture.
Apple has turned computers into furniture. Stuff works. Gets more comfy every year. No longer blows our minds because we've forgotten how much it didn't work a few years ago.
Matt honan article was right on.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/323644/apple-media-event-9-12-announcements-and-discussion/120#post_3974416
Stuff that doesn't work is technology. Everything else is furniture.
Apple has turned computers into furniture. Stuff works. Gets more comfy every year. No longer blows our minds because we've forgotten how much it didn't work a few years ago.
Matt honan article was right on.

I would agree. The problem is, though, that Apple now has a reliable, boring product that doesn't really throw out items that everyone else is really working on that makes things easier...
Example as I had given above: On the S3, sharing pictures/data is easy.. crazy easy.. bump phones together, or join a G-group and bam, it's on all; on a Nokia WP device, shared cloud space lets pictures on one device appear on all participating devices. And Samsung and others are loving pointing these features out. Nothing like it on Apple... and that feature just works.. flawless.. on Android and WP7/8. It's so simple it makes it easy to run team phones.

NFC? Most people thought we'd get NFC with this, because Android has for a while, and WP has now.. even Blackberry is coming out with NFC devices.. nope, nowhere.

The problem is the "it just works" thing is moving away from Apple.. the features people really want aren't there.. they are on other devices.

Like I said, I'll carry an Iphone5 for work, it's a guarantee. But when I upgrade my personal phone, it'll either be a Galaxy 3 or a WP8 device. I'll have to play with Nokia's Pureview and the Galaxy a bit more, but both of them just have the features I want more. *shrug*

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Craig S said:
A really nice update for the iPod Touch. 
It would have been, if they had upgraded the top capacity to 256 GB, or at the least, to 128 GB. Now it will be at least another year before we see one better at dealing with large CD collections.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Guaranteed someone ports that thing stateside: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/apple-lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter/

Would be instantly useful for me..

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, this is not so good:
http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-wont-work-with-some-accessories-even-with-lightning-adapter-13247441/

One thing that’s worth stressing before you pay the money for the Lightning adapter is that your gear won’t necessarily work even with that adapter in place. Apple has warned that not all devices will work with the new iPhone or iPods even when you use the adapter because that adapter doesn’t put out an analog signal.

That means any of your devices that require an analog audio signal won’t work. What HiFi says that most audio devices do, in fact, require an analog audio signal. That means before you waste money ordering the adapter you’ll want to check with the manufacturer of your audio gear and determine if you need an analog audio signal or not.

Another caveat of the fancy new adapter is that it doesn’t support video and iPod out. If you have an analog device you hoped to keep using your only hope is that accessory manufacturers come up with an adapter that allows digital to analog conversion before the signal reaches your device. When or if a DAC adapter accessory will be offered remains to be seen.

So, even with an adapter, the audio/video stream to a lot of devices (like my dock that came with my receiver) are no-gos.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Thomas Newton /t/323644/apple-media-event-9-12-announcements-and-discussion/120#post_3974482
It would have been, if they had upgraded the top capacity to 256 GB, or at the least, to 128 GB. Now it will be at least another year before we see one better at dealing with large CD collections.

Speaking as someone who has a full 160GB iPod Classic and is ineligible for iTunes Match because he has too many tracks, I hear you. I think the problem is availability of affordable memory that can fit in the small space available in these devices.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
That article was spot on. Smartphones are now boring. They are all the same now. Do you want a 4.5" with Android or a 4" with iOS. Once the whole market started catching up to the Iphone 4 after it's release the days of being blow away at a premier were over. Phones are now computers. Each generation will get a little smaller, thinner, lighter, and faster. Sure, there will be innovation. But it will quickly be adapted by every manufacturer within 6 months and be commonplace among the entire market. It's nice to have so many good options out there now.
Is half an inch enough to get me to leave iOS? Not at this time. I was pleasently surprised to see that the new iPhone was not that plastic mess we saw in rumor mock ups.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thomas Newton said:
Smart playlists. Contrary to what your lizard brain is telling you you don't need to have over 100 days of music with you at all times. Fight or flight: Choose fight! Or just buy two. =p

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Craig S said:
Speaking as someone who has a full 160GB iPod Classic and is ineligible for iTunes Match because he has too many tracks, I hear you. I think the problem is availability of affordable memory that can fit in the small space available in these devices.
Actually that was the most disappointing part of this "Music" event for me. Perhaps it's an iCloud detail more than the music side of things but I was hoping that the 25k cap would be raised to 50k, which would cover me for another few years. I think I am at 32k tracks right now, most of which i will listen to only when the shuffle random play hits em.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/323644/apple-media-event-9-12-announcements-and-discussion/120#post_3974657
Smart playlists. Contrary to what your lizard brain is telling you you don't need to have over 100 days of music with you at all times. Fight or flight: Choose fight! Or just buy two. =p

Sam, you are of course right about this. I use Smart Playlists to fill my car Nano. I always have my latest unheard podcasts in one playlist, and several genre-playlists always rotating highly-rated, least-recently-heard music. In essence, it's automated Radio Craig. Fantastic stuff indeed.

That said, my lizard brain still strongly desires a device I can throw in my luggage that holds my entire collection so in case I get the urge to listen to a particular obscure artist or album on a trip I can do so. Do I need this? No. But me and my lizard want it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
At what time, will we be able to preorder this phone on the 14th?

http://www.cultofmac.com/190543/how-to-preorder-the-iphone-5-at-midnight-tonight-the-right-way-guide/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks