What's new

Apple Media Event 9/12: Announcements and Discussion (2 Viewers)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/323644/apple-media-event-9-12-announcements-and-discussion/120#post_3974660
Actually that was the most disappointing part of this "Music" event for me. Perhaps it's an iCloud detail more than the music side of things but I was hoping that the 25k cap would be raised to 50k, which would cover me for another few years. I think I am at 32k tracks right now, most of which i will listen to only when the shuffle random play hits em.

Amen. I would happily pay more for a higher cap. $50/year for 50k tracks seems reasonable and would hold me for a little while (I'm at just under 45k tracks).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Our rep called me and I talked to him and his answer was: even he can't put in an order now, BUT they have a thing they put it in so it goes in at 2AM our time so we're in his first batches. Whether that's hogwash or not who knows.. we'll see

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Craig S said:
Sam, you are of course right about this. I use Smart Playlists to fill my car Nano. I always have my latest unheard podcasts in one playlist, and several genre-playlists always rotating highly-rated, least-recently-heard music. In essence, it's automated Radio Craig. Fantastic stuff indeed.
That said, my lizard brain still strongly desires a device I can throw in my luggage that holds my entire collection so in case I get the urge to listen to a particular obscure artist or album on a trip I can do so. Do I need this? No. But me and my lizard want it. 
Right on, you at least gave it a shot. Most just want to sit there and stew and complain about it rather than saying "OK, I can't do what I want, what CAN I do that will make me mostly happy?".... As The Wire says, and this continues to be one of my favorite sayings "You want it to be one way, but it's the other".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So what would stop me from just using anazon on that price?
I only have a tad over 5k songs but Google music futzes over 3k of then and won't load them
so Amazon seems to be an option for me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The only real issue with Amazon streaming is the quality of the music app. But if all you need is basic transport controls, it's a great deal. The music match is much more streamlined than having to upload actual music files to Google Music.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
Smart playlists. Contrary to what your lizard brain is telling you you don't need to have over 100 days of music with you at all times. Fight or flight: Choose fight! Or just buy two. =p
It's not lizard brain, it's ease of use. Managing playlists and fighting sync problems due to capacity limits is not easy. It's not Apple. And after fighting that for two years with a 4GB nano, I was thrilled to get the 16 GB and no longer have that problem. Obviously some pele have 10x more music than I do...but the nuisance is still the same.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
I would agree.   The problem is, though, that Apple now has a reliable, boring product that doesn't really throw out items that everyone else is really working on that makes things easier...
Example as I had given above:  On the S3, sharing pictures/data is easy.. crazy easy.. bump phones together, or join a G-group and bam, it's on all; on a Nokia WP device, shared cloud space lets pictures on one device appear on all participating devices.  And Samsung and others are loving pointing these features out.   Nothing like it on Apple... and that feature just works.. flawless.. on Android and WP7/8.  It's so simple it makes it easy to run team phones.
NFC?   Most people thought we'd get NFC with this, because Android has for a while, and WP has now.. even Blackberry is coming out with NFC devices.. nope, nowhere.
The problem is the "it just works" thing is moving away from Apple.. the features people really want aren't there.. they are on other devices.
Like I said, I'll carry an Iphone5 for work, it's a guarantee.  But when I upgrade my personal phone, it'll either be a Galaxy 3 or a WP8 device.   I'll have to play with Nokia's Pureview and the Galaxy a bit more, but both of them just have the features I want more.   *shrug*
How's the bump work? A few years ago there was. a "bump" app: bump two iPhones running the iPhone and it would share your contact info. Cool idea. Worthless in practice. Last I looked, "bump" no longer actually supporting the bumping action. It just a contacts app now.
I'm curious how it works as part of the OS.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i had Bump. i stopped using it then fiannly deleted it. I wish I could remember what I didnt like about it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The app "bump" is worthless. I shouldn't have used that term, maybe. The thing is, on the Galaxy S3 and on several other devices the sharing of a photo stream or camera and video by having them linked to a common pool is a snap... i mean amazingly a snap. Two phones actually participate in S-Beam.. it uses NFC to negotiate a WiFi direct transfer.

You can see it here:

It's one of those features that you go "eh" but after you really use it.. well, it is a feature that just completely changes the game, frankly for teams.

Anyway, it's one of the reason why NFC matters. The thing is that Samsung is doing this on everything, pretty much (Android and their upcoming WP8 devices), and Nokia has already committed to it for their 920 upcoming device, etc.

So, it's why I was kind of dissappointed nothing like it is in the iPhone.

And I'm griping but like I said, I'll have a work issued Iphone5 day it launches.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
mattCR said:
Talk to your rep.   We turned in 3 today with our rep, and she took them just fine.   Maybe not through the web.  For all I know she may be holding them on a tablet and putting them in later, but she had no problem picking up the phone from us and telling us she'd book 3.
Our rep will take the orders, but she can't submit them any sooner than anyone else.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I don't think they can. But I really don't care about that.. I just care about not having to stay up til midnight, I've got to fly out tomorrow early to Orlando, I really don't want to stay up to 2AM to do it. I'll let them do it

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
The app "bump" is worthless.   I shouldn't have used that term, maybe.   The thing is, on the Galaxy S3 and on several other devices the sharing of a photo stream or camera and video by having them linked to a common pool is a snap... i mean amazingly a snap.  Two phones actually participate in S-Beam.. it uses NFC to negotiate a WiFi direct transfer.
You can see it here:

It's one of those features that you go "eh" but  after you really use it.. well, it is a feature that just completely changes the game, frankly for teams.
Anyway, it's one of the reason why NFC matters.   The thing is that Samsung is doing this on everything, pretty much (Android and their upcoming WP8 devices), and Nokia has already committed to it for their 920 upcoming device, etc.  
So, it's why I was kind of dissappointed nothing like it is in the iPhone.
And I'm griping but like I said, I'll have a work issued Iphone5 day it launches.
1) I'm guessing you linked to a video there. Me iPad user. Ugh Me no see video. ... Maybe I can extract it from the "quote" stuff above.
2) I don't work on "Teams", not the kind that all share gadgets. But I wonder if that feature would be useful for Team Fischer, me and my wife?
I see the ads and they they seemed dorky to me, because who has five friends all hanging out with exact same brand new Samsung phone? But like with iMessages, I can maybe guess how the "network" effect could make that really a useful feature. Being able to quickly get photos to and from my mom when I visit. Getting a new photo of the cats from my wife to post on Facebook.
Is bumping specific to SG3? Or is it an Android feature for all phones with NFC?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there an app a few years ago that did this, tapping two iPhones to exchange stuff like contact information. Must have done photos too?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's mostly an NFC negotiation because Nokia is doing it on Windows phone too.. so not just a Samsung thing, though everyone has their own bit.

iMessage was that for Apple. For those of us who use these in an enterprise, iMessage is awesome in that it cuts costs significantly by wiping out your SMS costs, especially important in some markets.

But the concept of a team that shares a photo stream, etc. it can be potentially very handy. It's why a lot of people thought NFC would head apple's way. The ability to quickly transfer large video or picture data is something in the field that could mean a lot.

But it goes beyond the local NFC stream.. everyone else has figured out the team sharing bit.. and it is potentially super handy..
Imagine a construction crew chief who documents the construction project he's on. With the iPhone, he takes plenty of pictures. Good or bad, they are pictures. Now, he can email them, one by one, from his phone to the home office. Or he can connect to a computer, download, and email them. Now, imagine the other way; if he takes a picture and *bam* it shows up on his phone and his supervisor's phone. Just like Apple's photostream to all devices on an iTunes account, instead it shows up on all devices in his sharing group.

Anyway, it's just one of those things. Like I said, the more I read and look into the iPhone, the more I'm very happy with most of what I'm getting, I think there are a lot of serious improvements here that will make my day to day better and it's worth it, with a big part of it being great improvements in iOS6. So, this isn't me saying "it's terrible" it's me saying "I wish it were a bit more.."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I work in a high-tech area that forbids mobile and personal technology. It's hard for me to grasp people using using smartphones professionally, much less having them issued by work :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can bet Apple has a hundred engineers playing with NFC, but they arent gonna put it in unless it really means something. right now its a tech demo and a parlor trick. When they put it in all the Android heads will scream "but we had that for yeaaaaaars" and of course the reply will be "yeah.... but implementaion matters".
I hope.
=)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Verge is reporting that Apple says the adapter will support analog audio out. If that's the case, there must be an audio DAC built in.That might explain the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks