What's new

Apartment people, show me what ya got! (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, here in the midwest a duplex is a house that is divided into two seperate residences. It makes no difference how many stories there are. You could have a ranch style duplex.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thanx for the pics people, please keep'em coming :)
Very similar to Charles (plus in the same city) with Monitor 7s, CC350, Mini Monitors, SVS sub and even the Toshiba SD2200 DVD player. Spooky isn't it?
Spooky? Nah... not yet. My setup:
Paradigm Monitor 7 V2, CC370, Atoms, SVS 20-39PC, Toshiba SD2109 DVD player.
So, you were saying? :D
--
Holadem

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I believe thats a townhouse.
Must be another regional difference. "Townhouse" just isn't used in NYC; in the burbs, it usually refers to a certain style of condo development where the units are attached but not stacked on top of each other -- which sounds somewhat similar to what you call a "duplex".
I'll keep all of this in mind if I'm ever looking at property in the midwest. :)
M.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, there are usually regional differences with a lot of terminology. Back on topic though, I think we should archive this thread because people are always posting about what system to get and they're worried becuase they live in an apartment. Well, we've go at least a few people here with floor standing speakers and a few with SVS's too. Sounds like those buildings are constructed pretty well.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Thats a large turbo, makes the sub LAG in music but kicks much butt in theater. The ML do sound good. I wish I had a more musical sub. The mirage is nice, but not on par with the ML. ML has a sub I want but its $$$. So I will have to wait to buy that.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Spooky? Nah... not yet. My setup: Paradigm Monitor 7 V2, CC370, Atoms, SVS 20-39PC, Toshiba SD2109 DVD player.
Geez Holadem, next thing your going to drop on us is that you're moving to Omaha! ;)
For the record, the apartment building I live in is 30-40 years old and I've yet to receive a complaint about my subwoofer. My speakers and sub are all standing on spikes, cutting down the floor resonation. Charles and Holadem (and any others with towers and a sub that reaches deep), have you had complaints from neighbors? Are your speakers on spikes? I'm curious to know if you think it makes a difference for the neighbors.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
My speakers are not on spikes, for two reasons. When I moved in, I decided I would spend a few weeks positioning the speakers to see what worked best, and then when I felt I had found the optimum postion, I would test spikes on/off and see which was better. Once I figured out where I liked the speakers, I didnt add the spikes, because I just figured that that would acoustically couple the speakers to the floor, and make it worse. My SVS is not on spikes for the same reason. In my new house, I probably wont use spikes because it will be concrete under the carpet. I havent had any complaints from my neighbors. I figure it would be hard for the people next door to hear it, and the guy below me is a work-aholic, and I know he travels out of town a lot. I guess since they havent complained, I have no idea how loud it is. My building is 6 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks