What's new

Anyone work split shifts? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I guess I should be glad I have a job in this screwy society right now, even if it is only part time as a bartender/waiter. Recently my hours have increased and I've been put on split shifts until after New Years. It wouldn't be that bad except:
a. I live over an hour from work so coming home between shifts that day is not economical (or really possible).
b. My morning shifts are usually 9AM - 3PM, then evening shifts at 5PM - close (usually around 11PM but often midnight - 1AM).

Even getting off at 11 puts me home a bit after midnight and I have to be back up at 6:30 so I can get ready and fight traffic to get back to work by 9. What with cooking dinner, doing laundry, housework, winding down, etc... I am sleeping less than 5 hours a night (most nights are 3-4 hours tops). Several nights, I've cat-napped for about an hour before I had to get back up to go back to work. I have, for lack of better words, become a walking zombie insomniac. (Not to mention I have had to give up working out/lifting weights because I'm cramped for time now.) Worse yet, I will not have enough time to watch a movie until after Christmas.

Basically what I wanna know is..... How the hell do you keep sane?!?! All that's holding me together right now is all the caffiene coursing through my veins and I still have 13 more days before I get a day off. Right now, quitting is not an option and I have been in search of another job since June. Any suggestions to keep from having a psychotic episode? :wink:

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
My only recommendations are either to move closer to that job, or keep looking for another job closer to you. The real problem isn't the split shifts, but the long hours (12-hour days, with a 2-hour lunch break, means you're at work for 14 hours). With the length of your commute, the 2-hour break between shifts is not even enough to go home and return to work, let alone eat/rest/do anything else.

If you can afford it financially, can you reduce your hours so you start later in the morning, or knock off work at a predetermined time (rather than staying until closing)?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Can't reduce my hours (not a financial problem, I've just worked myself into a position where I'm basically the Captian's "right hand" so I have to be there for all the functions during the holidays) and selling and moving closer is out of the question. Things should slow down after the Christmas/New Year's rush and I'll be back to working 25-30 hours a week again. Hopefully I can locate a better job by then. Good thing I'm hourly. :D

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Yikes that sounds rough! I've never worked split shifts but I work with many people that do (9-1, 5-9). Some live too far away to make it practical to go home during that 4 hr break. I know at least a few of them bring things with them that they don't necessarily have to do at home, such as bills and balancing the checkbook.
As far as the working until real late problem, try to automate as many things as possible. You can set a crockpot so when you come home food is ready and waiting. Or, pack lunch AND dinner if you will have time to eat it. I know other people that resorted to a laundry service since they never had time to do it themselves. Of course at the right price, you can get anybody to do anything for you ;)
And quite frankly, even if you DID live closer, anything more than a 10-15 minute comute would still eat away at that 2 hrs and make it not practical to accomplish anything.
Good luck and just remind yourself it's only temporary. Plus, you should have a decent chunk of change when the holidays are over ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks