Anyone using a satellite dish cover?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith AP, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Keith AP

Keith AP Extra

I was curious about anyone's experiences using a satellite dish cover.
    I've got the DirecTV elliptical. We received some snow a few days ago (in June no less) which totally wiped out our satellite signal. This is something I really want to take care of before the real stuff flies.
    How much degradation of signal can one expect from using a cover? Are there any issues I should be aware of? Recommendations?
    Thanks - Keith
    ------------------

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Are you sure it was the snow on the dish that was creating the problem and not the actual cloud cover and snow falling?
    C. Ryan

3. Keith AP

Keith AP Extra

4. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    you can use PAM or some sort of spray on cooking oil on the dish itself. This will keep anything from sticking to the dish and not block the signal. I have never had a problem yet. I do think you have to re-apply it after a year or so especially if you get a lot of snow or moisture. It's a cheap fix that works well. I may just be cheap and didn't want to spend the extra money.
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

5. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Just curious, but wouldn't you have the same problem with a cover that you do now? It seems to me that instead of the snow and ice accumulating on the actual dish, it would accumulate on the cover.

6. Keith AP

Keith AP Extra

Dave, that's one I hadn't thought of. I'll have to look into that one further.
    And the thing is...I've been using PAM on our snow thrower every year to help deal with the snow removal.
    ------------------

7. Alex Mendoza

Alex Mendoza Auditioning

Would silicon spray work better than Pam? Since it is specifically mean for applications in alot of conditions?