What's new

Anyone using a satellite dish cover? (1 Viewer)

Keith AP

Grip
I was curious about anyone's experiences using a satellite dish cover.
I've got the DirecTV elliptical. We received some snow a few days ago (in June no less) which totally wiped out our satellite signal. This is something I really want to take care of before the real stuff flies.
How much degradation of signal can one expect from using a cover? Are there any issues I should be aware of? Recommendations?
Thanks - Keith
------------------

CRyan

Screenwriter
Are you sure it was the snow on the dish that was creating the problem and not the actual cloud cover and snow falling?
C. Ryan

Keith AP

Grip
Are you sure it was the snow on the dish that was creating the problem and not the actual cloud cover and snow falling?
Oh yeah. After tornados east of Denver, rain in town, and lightning and thunder with snow in the foothills - the storm decided to stop and the sun reappeared. Snow was stuck to the lower portion of the dish and I had absolutely no signal at all.
Getting creative, I took my son's SuperSoaker - filled it with warm water, and rinsed the snow off the dish from fifteen feet below.
It did the trick - but I consider this a temporary solution only.
------------------

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
you can use PAM or some sort of spray on cooking oil on the dish itself. This will keep anything from sticking to the dish and not block the signal. I have never had a problem yet. I do think you have to re-apply it after a year or so especially if you get a lot of snow or moisture. It's a cheap fix that works well. I may just be cheap and didn't want to spend the extra money.
Good luck!
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Just curious, but wouldn't you have the same problem with a cover that you do now? It seems to me that instead of the snow and ice accumulating on the actual dish, it would accumulate on the cover.

Keith AP

Grip
Dave, that's one I hadn't thought of. I'll have to look into that one further.
And the thing is...I've been using PAM on our snow thrower every year to help deal with the snow removal.
------------------

Alex Mendoza

Auditioning
Would silicon spray work better than Pam? Since it is specifically mean for applications in alot of conditions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks