What's new

anyone use ofa urc-8910 w/mx-500 (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i just bought the ofa urc-8910. i intend to use it to program discrete codes for my mx-500.

i went over to hifi-remote.com but got kind of lost there. where exactly are the codes i'm looking for?

i want to teach my mx-500 discrete power (on/off) for the following components:

onkyo: amp & cd
sony: tv and dvd
motorola: cable box

also, if someone wouldn't mind walking me through programming the 8910, then getting that info to my mx-500 that would be totally awesome!

or, if you guys think a remote other than the 8910 would be better to use then i'll take this one back...

thx!

ted

steven pm

Agent
Pretty much any OFA will do; neweer models may have more codes. For starters, rtfm. You don't even have to 'program' the OFA, most likely. If it's like the older models, you can switch to the device of interest, hit the star/special button, then just enter the 3-digit code. When the 3rd digit is pressed, the remote will emit the corresponding IR signal. You can use this method to check the codes on your equipment, and also to learn them to the MX-500 without actually 'programming' the OFA remote.

steven pm

Agent
Pretty much any OFA will do; neweer models may have more codes. For starters, rtfm. You don't even have to 'program' the OFA, most likely. If it's like the older models, you can switch to the device of interest, hit the star/special button, then just enter the 3-digit code. When the 3rd digit is pressed, the remote will emit the corresponding IR signal. You can use this method to check the codes on your equipment, and also to learn them to the MX-500 without actually 'programming' the OFA remote.

As for codes, remotecentral.com also has lots of them. Check both the OFA and the Home Theater Master forums.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Ted, Not familiar with the 8910 but as steven said, most OFA's are the same.

There should be a list of 4 digit numbers that came with your remote (Maunfacturer's Codes) or you can go to

http://www.oneforall-int.com/ussite/...910%20code.pdf
and get the most recent ones.
What you first do is program the device code (4 digit) into the 8910 by hitting:
The DEVICE button you wish to program (eg TV)
Hold the SET button down (you will get a single blink, then 2 blinks in a row on the LED)
Type your 4 digit Manfacturers code (eg Sony usually is 0000) - you will get 2 blinks of the LED.

For the example above, the TV button has now been set to Sony (try it on your TV).

You now need to go to
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml
to see if advanced codes have been published for your unit. Using the Sony TV example, go to TV 0000 and click the link there. You now are shown a couple of lists, the bottom is what is currently programmed into your remote with the built in 0000 code, and the top section are codes (Discrete) that are available for that unit.

You are lucky to find a Discrete on 113 and Discrete off 109 for that unit. Write those numbers down.

Go back to your 8910 and you will now program a couple of new keys to those codes.

Hit DEVICE to use (TV)
Hold SET for 2 steady blinks of LED
Type 9-9-4
Hold SET for 1 blink of LED
Type the 3 digit Discrete (or Advanced) Code 1-1-3
Hit the desired key to change the code to (any will do, use PIP or something). The LED will give you 2 blinks.

What you have done is coded the Discrete on to the PIP button on the 8910. Try it on your TV. If it comes on and doesn't shut off if you press it again, it has worked.

You can now LEARN that button into your MX-500 (follow the MX-500 instructions). I would use the Power button for ON and the System/Off button for your Power offs.

Do the same thing with the 8910 to code the discrete code 1-0-9 off to another button (or the same one as above for that matter, it will overwrite it), and again learn that code to the MX-500.

You and I are in the same boat with an Onkyo Receiver and Motorola Cable box, however, there are no Discrete on/off codes for them. You must go the JP-1 route (I am not sure if the 8910 supports JP-1) and physically program extended codes into the OFA remote via the JP-1 interface and your PC. They can then be Learned to the MX-500.

That is beyond the scope of this post. Follow through on the reading material at hifi-remote and the MX-500 and OFA forums at remotecentral.com and if you want to continue, then join the jp-1 group at Yahoo.

Hope the above helps.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
paul - thx for the great post. i appreciate you taking the time to try to help me out.

unfortunately (or fortunately), i discovered tht the 8910 uses a completely different procedure. it goes something like this:

thx to edmund at remotecentral.com

1) Hold SETUP (green P), till screen reads "CODE SET"
2) Scroll down to "KEYMOVER",
3) Press SELECT, screen reads "FROM MODE"
4) Press the device button the code is coming from, screen
reads "FROM KEY"
5) Press SETUP, screen reads "SYNT"
6) Type the 3 digit advanced code
7) Press SELECT, screen reads "TO MODE"
8) Press the device button the code is going to, screen reads "TO KEY"
9) Press the button you are trying to program, screen reads "SUCCESS"

so, i was able to tie in that process with the advanced codes on hifi-remote. and, just like you said, my onkyo and motorola (and it turns out my panasonic vcr) don't have discrete on/off commands! ack!

oh well, so much for my super-macro programming ability. i at least got the codes for my sony gear.

thx again!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
steven, using "rtfm" assumes that i haven't read the manual or done my research. most of us here take that as a somewhat "hostile" remark. ;)

the point of this community is so that we can ask questions and receive help from others. not to have others tell us to read the book.

just a friendly fyi... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks