What's new

Anyone play DVD's @ Reference level ? (1 Viewer)

Doug McBride

Auditioning
Sounds like you've experimented with calibration with regards to sound level. Have you run a frequency response graph yet (measure your room at listening position with sine tones)? You might find (as mentioned above) that you have room modes that are cancelling out bass in the "slam" range. You may even have some cancellation going on between the two subs which can be measured doing these tests. I was able to measure and correct that in my room which helped a lot.

I run duals SVS's - a PB12/2+ and a PC 20-39+ and they took a little tweaking, as well as requiring an external EQ to help flatten out the room. Made a huge difference both in the tone and visceral feeling in the room (which due to it's open nature is huge compared to your nicely contained HT). If you haven't already, take a couple of hours and run some FR sweeps of your room and you may gain some significant insight into what's going on in there. There's lots of info on how to do this and lots of folks who can lend a hand if you need it.

Cheers,

Doug

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
I have spent a couple hours doing some calibration, to the best of my ability.
Using test tones. and a spl meter.
Then playing war of the worlds........screen off......sound only to sit and listen..(ears sore)..
I realize, I don't like movies TOO Loud, I simply Like too much Thunder.
The Velodyne was distorting like crazy, I turned it off.
I never realized it distorted so bad, The SVS was overpowering it. (Not even a close compare)
SVS Sub was able to cleanly (to my ear) peak at 100+db's spl meter. peak only.
So probably nothing wrong with it. I have just been trying to listen to my mains at 90 db's while trying to have thundering peaks of 110 db's++
Which probably means I should have bought a More Powerfull Sub.
But I believe the problem lies with movie playing habbits, rather than the 25-31+ .
I had the gain past half. Now just between 1/3 and 1/2 .
receiver set to 100hz....down from 120hz

Receiver is calibrated to 82db's all speakers equal SPL output at 00 .
During DVD , Master Volume at -26
All sounds Great.................would like MORE Thunder.
without louder sound from the mains, just more room shaking.

Moving the sub around seems to only change the really low end subsonic feeling, but does not produce more output, not in my room.
I think I need a sub so powerfull it would not matter where I put it. It simply fills the entire room. poping my ears the way they pop when you open the Theater room door too quick. You can almost move a ceiling tile, with air movement.
When thunder cracks, I want my heart to skip a beat. Not a figure of speech.
But, WITHOUT the mains being super loud. Loud screeching sound does not excite me, but when the whole room suddenly explodes and seriously shakes, thats when I sit back and say wow! this whole project was worth it.$

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Sounds like your on the right track. If I understand you correclty when a cannon shot goes off in Master and Commander you literally want the room to explode :eek: You might as well hook up a real cannon in the room and fire it :D Seriously though I'm hoping Tom or Ron from SVS can help you out either by phone or on here. Calling all help in Ottawa area!! :)

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator

Yes Chris......Master and Commander....It does Not need to be, nor is it extremely loud during dialog, BUT when he is on deck Shouting, I like it to sound, loud like someone is literaly in the room Shouting !!!
And well...a cannon? Almost like it is in the room..HUGE BOOM !!
not some thud, rumble...gee honey, did ya hear that sub rumble ever nice eh ?
More Holy Crap in my pants BOOM !!
ya'know when lightning hits near your house you duck, and hide under the table in fear.
Well when lightning cracks in a movie......you get the idea.

I figured to get this I would simply need a sealed room.
But looks I need more power too.

I too hope Erik at SVS can help, he is the only one who responed so far ?

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I f I can't be there maybe some pics would help. My room is NOT dedicated and is open on one side. I just remeasured the room and it is 14x13(the set up area). I only have the SBS-01 with the PB-10 and I can get the walls to rattle and shake during the opening battle scene of M and C. I am racking my brain to figure out whats wrong. Not intended as a put down but maybe you have it but don't realize it? Again, not intended as a put down, I am not there so I can't really tell. I am surprised there are no people in your area willing to help out. That sub should be more than adequate for that room size.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I would need to see pics of your seating and room arrangement for further help. Hopefully between everyone here and the guys at SVS we can get you up and running. I am going to try and eliminate problems one by one. Do you have the Avia HT DVD and/or THX optimizer? I also downloaded the Yammy receiver manual and I will read through it tonight to see what I can garner from it, btw the receiver says 140watts per channel but from what I have read its closer to 115-120. Still plenty of juice considering I get my results from a 100wpc Denon 2106. Once I read through the manual I just might have you reset everything and start from scratch...again... Until then check your sub interconnect, you might want to run out and buy a new one just to be sure. Nothing fancy as I use Acoustic Research from Best Buy approx. 10-20 bucks and it does just fine. Hopefully others will jump in with more ideas while I go and read the Yammy manual. Hopefully after all this it doesn't mean that you have to go and buy a new receiver...

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator

Funny thing is Nobody here know as much as I do....eeks.
All I am aware of are big box stores.......Last place I went to , the sales guy started arguing that Blueray discs are not 1080p as Nothing in existance is above 720p yet, I mean they are really in the dark, he was likely selling cars, or couches the month before?
So I am all alone in the great North:thumbsdown:
I think I have good Bass, Just not jaw dropping, I mean not great just yet.
I think PB NSD 12/2 +

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
frogpond said:
I would need to see pics of your seating and room .

Hey Chris, I will send some Pic's tomorrow.
Send me an email if you like, or pm me with yours.
I don't think I can post attatchments here ?
I'd like to, I'd be happy to.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks