What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition: MUST BUY (3 Viewers)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

Yeah, it was absolutely working. I guess they shut it down. Sorry. Some people were clearing their cookies and getting it to work. You could try that.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Picked up from CC yesterday, great price couldn't see myself turning it down. DTS and better transfer though subtle was enough for me. The comparison shots made here are great looking, and I noticed that Mr. Potatohead I thought was a bit more profound. I haven't done a comparison yet, that'll be tonight. Just a couple of shots that stick out with me. DTS mix I found to be sweet and enveloping. The bass was intense and I can't wait for TS2 on December 26th. I have to admit the first releases were great and I have no plans of getting rid of it, my kids love the movie, these Special Editions are for daddy:D . All I can say is bring it on TS2, and I can't wait to experience the opening scene of TS2. That scene was one of the most intense scenes out there, definetly demo quality.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

That's what I'm toying with... no pun intended! :)

I'm also still waiting for a detailed list of all the extras that have NOT been carried over from the UTB.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Good thing I stuck with my copy of UTB and didn't double dip. Even my wife thinks it doesn't make sense to multi-dip on this one, and she's not a movie fan!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Guess those with the UTB edition, tough call on whether to buy the 10th anniversary edition or not. DTS-ES, better looking picture, as oppose to a pretty nice picture, DD-EX and a ton of extras. Again for me it was the picture and the DTS that sold me. Some nice extras for me was enough as well.

SteveCallas

Second Unit

Isn't that backwards? I would think this would be a double dip only for those who are really into movies and AV quality.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I got the 10th Anni yesterday along with the Sting. I couldnt resist even though I have the UTB.

I compared the "Toy Meeting" scene and I could tell the 10th was a bit brighter and more defined than the UTB. Ill do more comparisons later.

I run a Panny 47WX53 16x9 with a Pioneer 563A via component.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
"I think I can speak for a lot of people in saying that I much rather have the unaltered raw theatrical mix than an after-the-fact "optimized" remix often done without the supervision of the original sound people. The soundtrack is a canvas and that canvas should should be delivered intact. Another artist shouldn't come and try to make it "better". Oterwise you end up with another Star Wars Trilogy dvd. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the StarWars set and Toy Story 10th each re-mixed by the original sound crews? (Not that I"m equating the quality of the results)

I think you are arguing two different things. One is a creatively different DVD mix, the other is a re-mix "optimized" for the home theater environment, but seemingly the same as the theatrical experience.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Yes, Toy Story was remixed by Gary Rydstrom, the original sound designer. He also remixed his Terminator 2 soundtrack and for some reason a section of music is no longer audible in the opening battle sequence. This is similar to what happened to the Star Wars dvd where a piece of John William's music is inexplicably dialed out of the mix.

I have no problem with the sound designer returning to his work and making tweaks to sound it's best on dvd or whatever, but when music is dialed down for no good reason then I rather just listen to the original mix unaltered. Instances where a film's soundtrack has had new foley effects inserted is another matter and the threads on Superman, The Terminator, Jaws, and Vertigo speak for themselves.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I cant decide if I should get this or not.

Its not so much the slighty improved pic,the DTS is really tempted me - but is it worth the upgrade:frowning:

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up during my lunch break today and this is actually a blind buy for me. I am looking forward to viewing it tomorrow night with my 5 year old cousin, who will also be seeing it for the first time.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
When I took this back to Circuit City because of the big wet spot on both discs, I opened a new one there inf ront of them and same thing. Went through 5 units before I found one that didn't have a big wet spot on both discs. I assume it is some type of plastic laminating error.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm getting it since I love this movie to death. If anything, I guess it means I can finally plop my DTS laserdisc on eBay. I don't see a reason to hang onto it anymore.

Mike

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For the undecided amongst you, perhaps this will help.

I bought the 10th anniversary edition, not because I wanted the improved picture or sound, but because there was a big scratch on my TS1 disc on the UTB, and sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn't. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.

Boy, am I glad I did buy it. I have a humble 27" LCD and a v. basic Sony player with prog scan. The difference leapt out at me (and bear in mind that I wasn't expecting much improvement and indeed was geared up to giving an 'I've seen it and it ain't all that big a difference' message on this thread). The picture is sharper, everything is more detailed, the colours are better and the sound is a vast improvement Maybe I had a lousy pressing of the original disc, but all I can say is that the difference is like night and day.

I can't wait for TS2 (which I prefer to TS1) and I hope Pixar are going to revisit their other movies as well.

Now if they could just find a way of replacing those irritating Randy Newman songs I'd be a totally happy bunny.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Neil,

thanks for those awseome screen-captures. That's very much what I'm seeing in my system...and on a large screen the overall effect easily makes the new disc preferrable...and that DTS!!!!

Andrew,

glad to see you appreciate the improvement in PQ even on a 27" LCD screen...good news! Thanks for sharing...

BTW those of you saying you "can't see an improvement" PLEASE share your syetem details...and/or if you're just talking about the screen caps here in the thread.

dave :D

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I'm still betting there'll be a 2pack or some kind of deal. Whatever it is I'm waiting for it. :D

Funny how in a few years when the HD versions come out people will compare them to these editions and see how fuzzy and lifeless they are.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit

Hm.. seems i need to come back from retirement. :b

Wouldn't have thought that this edition would be an improvement. Need to get my hands on it and will see what i come up with.

Best regards
Bjoern

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks